Sport General sport discussion

Olympic Stadium Bids

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2011, 03:35 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Olympic Stadium Bids

There has been a lot about this recently and I wondered what peoples opinions of it were.

It seems kit is a two horse race between Spurs and W.Ham, although I believe there are other bidders in the mix.

W.Ham are happy to keep the track and run concerts and 20/20, they'd have to to make it a viable proposition, they are also in the borough.

Spurs argue they should have it because they need a 60,000 seater stadium to sustain their Champions League ambitions, they would demolish the Olympic stadium and build a new one, no running track no legacy.

I'd choose W Ham even though the place will be too big for them, I'm surprised at Spurs attitude to the whole thing, real arrogance from all quarters.

We agreed when we won the Olympic bid a legacy would be left which included a running track, it's in Black and White so why does someone give Spurs the impression they can demolish an Olympic stadium and build their own, why do Spurs feel they can submit plans that go against what has been agreed, whey are the committee dealing with this allowing them to submit these plans.
Will Spurs cough up for the infrastructure that has been put in place ? cheeky B*stards of course they wont, they wont revamp WHL because the govt and local council wont offer any money for improvement of the infrastructure. Mr Levy should understand that a 60,000 seater stadium does not get you into the chanmpions League, your league position determines this..

Neither bid is looking at the legacy, but the financial gain they can make long term, but at least WHU would keep the running track, I cant see why the AAA dont demolish Crystal Palace and move in with W Ham and what about Leyton Orient ?, I guess no one asked them if they were interested, after all they are the closest to the stadium

I know a lot of people couldn't give a toss whether we got the Olympics or not considering the cost to the tax payer, but it's done and paid for and it pee's me off that two greedy Prem teams are looking to ****** it away for peanuts when all the hard work as been done, A la City and Eastlands.

Last edited by Funkii Munkii; 10 February 2011 at 03:38 PM.
Old 10 February 2011, 04:11 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

It is my opinion that Spurs' bid and "threat" to knock it down is nothing more than a lever to put pressure on THEIR local council to sign off on the new stadium build there.
Along the lines of: if you don't we will leave AND we will knock down this great stadium to build our own etc etc.

I think someone needs to call their bluff.
Old 10 February 2011, 05:00 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

The local MP did say a few weeks back that if Spurs left the Borough he would take them to court to stop them using the Name Tottenham or something along those lines.

Maybe they'll move on to Wembley if this falls through, they tried it once before
Old 10 February 2011, 05:12 PM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a West Ham fan i was led to believe that the real reason tottenham was applying for the Olympic stadium was so they could brag that they are east London's No1 team, after so many years living in the shadow of the Arsenal and being second in North London
Old 10 February 2011, 06:14 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard on the grapevine that Man-U are bidding for it,just so there fans don't have far to travel for home games
Old 10 February 2011, 07:48 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Dogs B******s
I've heard on the grapevine that Man-U are bidding for it,just so there fans don't have far to travel for home games
At least if York City bought it, you could all go down in one car

As for the bid, well Orient 'apparently' were asked but turned it down as they didn't want a running track in what would be a small crowd a long way from the pitch. Spurs would only be demolishing a small amount and no more then was originally planned for the stadium after the Olympics. West Ham are the best team as they're the closest, but I do think it would eventually be the end of Orient. Which is a shame for any team to go under, but I think gradually West Ham would take their fan base.