Notices
Sport General sport discussion

Shepherding the ball out of play.

Search this Thread

Old 22 October 2010, 11:27 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Shepherding the ball out of play.

Another of those stupid rules that FIFA seem to condone. The other night I watched Liverpool, and near the end, a Napoli attacker was running for the ball parallel with the Liverpool goalie, Pepe Raina. As they neared the ball, Raina deliberately ran in front of the Napoli player, stopping him getting to the ball, which ran out of play.

Now why isn't that an indirect free kick for obstruction? How can Raina be deemed to be in control of the ball if he's not touched it?

And while I'm on footy, let's get rid of this silly "offside but not interfering with play" rule. As the late, great Brian Clough once said, "If he's not interfering with play, what's he doing on the pitch?"

I regularly see players, often more than one, dragging defenders to mark them while standing offside, allowing the man with the ball a better chance on goal. Rubbish.
Old 22 October 2010, 03:45 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alcazar
Another of those stupid rules that FIFA seem to condone. The other night I watched Liverpool, and near the end, a Napoli attacker was running for the ball parallel with the Liverpool goalie, Pepe Raina. As they neared the ball, Raina deliberately ran in front of the Napoli player, stopping him getting to the ball, which ran out of play.

Now why isn't that an indirect free kick for obstruction? How can Raina be deemed to be in control of the ball if he's not touched it?

And while I'm on footy, let's get rid of this silly "offside but not interfering with play" rule. As the late, great Brian Clough once said, "If he's not interfering with play, what's he doing on the pitch?"

I regularly see players, often more than one, dragging defenders to mark them while standing offside, allowing the man with the ball a better chance on goal. Rubbish.
Re the Reina incident, the Napoli forward wasn't going to get the ball. NHe never had control of it either. But I take the point. I also can't understand how a defender who hasn't even touched the ball can be deemed "in control of it".

Re the offside rule. It's become a joke.
Old 22 October 2010, 03:56 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Lets scrap the offside rule entirely, it would make for a more entertaining game and potentially more goals, and if United need a "Hanger" I'm their man
Old 22 October 2010, 04:49 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

I agree Alcazar, they give (well supposed to) the GK 5 seconds to kick/throw the ball out to speed the game up yet still allow this. Anywhere else on the pitch it's an indirect free kick
Old 25 October 2010, 10:52 AM
DaveBeck
412/425 of forged love

Did you see Ronaldos goal? how the hell was he not interferring lol