Champions League 2010-2011 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 15 September 2010, 09:59 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Champions League 2010-2011 Thread

Well it's back

Not impressed with Fergie's selection, was this in reaction to Rangers being opponents or in reaction to Saturday, who knows but it was hard work watching it, at least he had the ***** to stand up and say blame me for once !

Not impressed with the performance by either side, Rangers yawn, I know they did it for a reason, i.e. they dont have the ability to compete at this level and will defend their way through the tournament.

Surprised Spurs went 2-0 up but then normal service was resumed.

Feel for Valencia after his break, not pretty so soon after Zamora and very similar to Alan Smith' break, until the break he looked totally out of sorts and if anything unfit.
Old 15 September 2010, 11:27 AM
stef_2010
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii
Not impressed with the performance by either side, Rangers yawn, I know they did it for a reason, i.e. they dont have the ability to compete at this level and will defend their way through the tournament.
Pretty harsh IMO

I thought rangers played really well, extremely organised and all of them done their job 110 % unlike man utd

And as for not having the ability, there obviously no where near Utd's level but how many teams go to old trafford and go out attacking ? You could count the teams in the WORLD on one hand proberly. I'm pretty sure they'll change their game plan at home, the match at Ibrox will be a completely different story

Anyway, this game had 0-0 written all over it, unfortunatley the English media/fans/pundits cant see past their giant heads 99% of the time.

I put a £20 bet on with my mate it would be a draw, he gave me 4-1 odds, so I'm VERY happy

Last edited by stef_2010; 15 September 2010 at 11:28 AM.
Old 15 September 2010, 11:50 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

enjoy the money.

I agree with your point about teams playing defensively at OT but that was Uber defensive, I thnk they borrowed the Spurs Bus for the night lol

United only have them selves to blame for not winning that match

Rangers got to the UEFA cup final a couple of years back playing exactly the same way, it may be harsh but imo Rangers have no option but to play this way, and effective it was 3 centre halfs and 5 across midfield, but some of us like our football to be entertaining and that was no where near entertaining I dont think there was one moment of skill to be seen from either side.

If you consider the argument for Rangers and Celtic to join the Premiership I think there is a real liklehood at present that either of them could get relegated to the Championship within a year they just dont attract the players like they did 15-20 years ago and would struggle with the squads they have, they've both been on a slow decline for the past 10 years imo, look at the players who dont want to go to Scotland these days 87 year old Sol Campbell, Jimmy Bullard et al, long gone are the days of Rangers snapping up the best British talent.

Lets be honest they only want to come for the money which would allow them to attract the sort of players Rangers did in the 90's.

Last edited by Funkii Munkii; 15 September 2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old 15 September 2010, 12:23 PM
stef_2010
Scooby Regular

Rangers got to the UEFA cup final a couple of years back playing exactly the same way, it may be harsh but imo Rangers have no option but to play this way, and effective it was 3 centre halfs and 5 across midfield, but some of us like our football to be entertaining and that was no where near entertaining I dont think there was one moment of skill to be seen from either side.
Ye I agree, it was a pretty poor game to watch. If Scholes and Giggs had started it may have been a different story.

Rangers are very lucky to have Walter Smith as a manager as they way he had them set up was immense, theres obviously more to it than saying 'everyone stand behind the ball'

If you consider the argument for Rangers and Celtic to join the Premiership I think there is a real liklehood at present that either of them could get relegated to the Championship within a year they just dont attract the players like they did 15-20 years ago and would struggle with the squads they have, they've both been on a slow decline for the past 10 years imo, look at the players who dont want to go to Scotland these days 87 year old Sol Campbell, Jimmy Bullard et al, long gone are the days of Rangers snapping up the best British talent.

Lets be honest they only want to come for the money which would allow them to attract the sort of players Rangers did in the 90's.
I hate that discussion that pops up every so often, why should Rangers and Celtic get to join the English league ? and more to the point, why should they start in the Premiership ? It'll never happen anyway.

IMO they would struggle like you said, maybe the championship would be more suited to them

Yes their not the teams they once were, Scottish football is dying a slow and painful death
Old 15 September 2010, 06:45 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stef_2010
unfortunatley the English media/fans/pundits cant see past their giant heads 99% of the time.
Most of the people i was talking to last night thought it would be a very hard game for United, and as soon as we found out the team most predicted the draw. I even had a Rangers fan sat next to me, albeit a very quiet one.

At the end of the day United should be putting 2-3 past Rangers. It was a very strange selection by Fergie and i'm with Funki in that i'm not sure if he thought it would be easier or punishment for a few. With it being Pool on Sunday i'm sure just a rest was given. I would think only Rooney, Fletcher and Rio will start against them.

Aaron
Old 16 September 2010, 01:24 PM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

Default Spurs fans: passionate?

Flew out to Germany for work on Tuesday and back last night. Both flights contained plently of Spurs fans heading to/from Bremen. Even on the way out they were very quiet: I'd have thought they'd have been all excited at the thought of their very first Champions League proper experience. The group nearest to me didn't mention the game once during the outbound flight. Is it like that these days with the fans of all of our clubs playing abroad? Away games in Europe used to be like a mini-invasion adventure behind enemy lines, but now it seems to be more of a gentle geriatric guided tour.

One of the rather dimmer fans with a particularly limited vocabulary seated behind me was moaning about the England team and Frank Lampard in particular, who apparently played "sick" (i.e. badly) against Switzerland and should therefore be dropped. A moment later he was saying how "sick" (i.e. well) some of the Spurs players had been performing.

I think he must have been sick.