Notices
Sport General sport discussion

Liverpool a big club, my @ss they are :)

Search this Thread

Old 24 November 2009, 10:48 PM
Borat_Drives_A_Scooby
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Liverpool a big club, my @ss they are :)

If Liverpool don`t make the top 4 this season then they will hardly have a player of any note the year after, the banks will force them to sell their biggest assets to pay off their huge debts because the loans will have been secured against their assets and their biggest 2 assets are Gerrard and Torres. Liverpool won`t attract the top players either if they don`t make the champions league next year as thats where the top players want to be playing football, its hilarious, it really is.

Keep up the comedy Raffa, with a bit of luck you will take Liverpool down a similar path to Leeds United
Old 24 November 2009, 11:31 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

To be fair they are still in Europe.............

.........with Fulham

Wouldn't go as far as comparing them with Leeds....... Newcastle maybe
Old 24 November 2009, 11:34 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Yeah but they beat Man U which is all Liverpool FC and the fans seem to strive for
Old 25 November 2009, 09:14 AM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

Gerrard (like Carragher) is rapidly declining in value as one of Liverpool's few remaining prized assets. Gerrard will be 30 next summer (and Carragher 32), so well past his playing age prime of 27 and becoming ever more injury-prone, so any potential buyers at the end of this season will clearly bear that in mind in formulating a valuation. Both are cup-tied for European action this season, should Liverpool's Board decide to try and offload them in the January window.

Certainly in Carragher's case, he will have negligible value next summer so unless the Board want to save on his wages and let him go on a Free transfer, I think he will stay. Gerrard would scarcely be worth 8-10 million by then, so not a great help to Liverpool's financial crisis. Maybe they should have sold him to Chelsea a couple of years ago when they had the chance?

As for Torres, he will be 26 next summer, so nearing the peak of his powers and with the World Cup to advertise himself, could be up for a big money move (presumably back to Spain) especially if Liverpool fail to get in the top 4 domestically. This would be a great shame for the Premier League, since the combined incompetence of LFC officials and their Manager may well lose us another of our ever decreasing stars.
Old 25 November 2009, 09:39 AM
Gav
Scooby Regular

Torres to United
Old 25 November 2009, 09:50 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Torres is another Darren Anderton. They need to get to the bottom of his injuries because what's the point in having a striker who's never fit and you cant rely on him being available for parts of the season.
Old 25 November 2009, 10:20 AM
ash1
Scooby Regular

is it may ?
Old 25 November 2009, 10:48 AM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ash1
is it may ?
Might as well be for Liverpool. Season's pretty much over already: out of League Cup, Champions League and a wretched 7th in Premier League. It's a good job the FA Cup doesn't start until January. Even Rafa hasn't managed to get knocked out of that competition yet!

Still he can now start planning for 2010 - 2011.
Old 25 November 2009, 11:22 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wouldn't it be really funny if Man U put in a bid for Torres - after all they've still got most of the Ronaldo record breaking money, so can afford it.
Old 25 November 2009, 11:52 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

that Ronaldo money is offsetting a small part of a big debt much like the sale of Torres would do at Liverpool.
Old 25 November 2009, 02:57 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

I suggest the OP sticks to posts about F1, as that is obviously where his expertise lies.
Old 25 November 2009, 03:46 PM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

The bizarre thing is can LFC actually afford to sack Benitez? Having handed him a lucrative new 5 year contract earlier this year, he's not going to go for nothing is he?

You can't argue with the facts though: when I was a nipper (70's - 80's) Liverpool rarely went a year or two without winning the League, which is why they created such an invincible reputation, whereas Man Utd never won it and rarely even got close. Consequently my generation did not really understand why Man Utd were held in such high esteem amongst our elders and it certainly wasn't the club that everyone wanted to play for. Sure they had good travelling support, but were only averaging about 27,000 for home games.

However, anyone under 25 years old will not remember Liverpool ever winning the title. It will be 20 years next May since they last managed it and I think we can rule out this season already! That's a whole generation that's grown up not knowing what all the fuss was about. So the whole "is LFC a Big Club" question is not so wide of the mark. I know that they've won the Champions League in recent years, but under the old system, their relatively lowly League positions would never have even qualified them for the European Cup, so where would they be now if the rules for Qualification had been left as Champions only?
Old 25 November 2009, 03:55 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

United's average attendances..... just for your info

http://www.red11.org/mufc/stats/attendances.htm

Last edited by STi wanna Subaru; 25 November 2009 at 03:56 PM.
Old 25 November 2009, 04:04 PM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

It was probably attendances like the 23,368 against Wimbledon 1988-89 that stick in my mind!
Old 25 November 2009, 04:13 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbo2
The bizarre thing is can LFC actually afford to sack Benitez? Having handed him a lucrative new 5 year contract earlier this year, he's not going to go for nothing is he?

You can't argue with the facts though: when I was a nipper (70's - 80's) Liverpool rarely went a year or two without winning the League, which is why they created such an invincible reputation, whereas Man Utd never won it and rarely even got close. Consequently my generation did not really understand why Man Utd were held in such high esteem amongst our elders and it certainly wasn't the club that everyone wanted to play for. Sure they had good travelling support, but were only averaging about 27,000 for home games.

However, anyone under 25 years old will not remember Liverpool ever winning the title. It will be 20 years next May since they last managed it and I think we can rule out this season already! That's a whole generation that's grown up not knowing what all the fuss was about. So the whole "is LFC a Big Club" question is not so wide of the mark. I know that they've won the Champions League in recent years, but under the old system, their relatively lowly League positions would never have even qualified them for the European Cup, so where would they be now if the rules for Qualification had been left as Champions only?
Of course you make a valid point there. Tell me, under the "old rules" how would Man United have faired in the 1998/1999 Champions League?
Old 25 November 2009, 04:18 PM
Borat_Drives_A_Scooby
BANNED

Originally Posted by FlightMan
I suggest the OP sticks to posts about F1, as that is obviously where his expertise lies.
Tell me what isn`t true about my original post ?

If Liverpool don`t finish in the top 4 this year then they won`t be in the champions league the year after, thats a massive loss of revenue and clubs like Liverpool budget with a champions league run included that at least gets them past the group stages.

You do the maths, i think its £500,000 for a win in the champions league and a team like Liverpool should be winning a minimum of 4 out of the 6 group matches, you then have the knock out stages which again is a huge amount of cash for winning games, you then have a share of the TV rights etc etc.

If Liverpool don`t make the champions league next year then they will struggle to lure the top players to Anfield, all the top players want to sign for clubs that are in the champions league.

With a reduced revenue stream they will be forced by the banks to offload some of their biggest assets to erase some of the huge debts and to make the payments on their loans, europa league games won`t sell out anfield which is a fact as fans won`t want to pay extra money to watch 2nd rate football when were in a recession.

Tell me what isn`t true about the above seeing as you obviously know it all ?
Old 25 November 2009, 05:09 PM
ash1
Scooby Regular

because it hasn't happen, can you not see that or are you the new Graeme Souness?

a certain big club went 27 years in between winning titles, what constitues a downgrade?

Last edited by ash1; 25 November 2009 at 05:15 PM.
Old 25 November 2009, 05:42 PM
ash1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gav
Torres to United
in yer dreams

a) turned down trafford rangers down previously b) you dont have 100m like the club in manchester
Old 25 November 2009, 05:47 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Borat_Drives_A_Scooby
Tell me what isn`t true about my original post ?

If Liverpool don`t finish in the top 4 this year then they won`t be in the champions league the year after, thats a massive loss of revenue and clubs like Liverpool budget with a champions league run included that at least gets them past the group stages.

You do the maths, i think its £500,000 for a win in the champions league and a team like Liverpool should be winning a minimum of 4 out of the 6 group matches, you then have the knock out stages which again is a huge amount of cash for winning games, you then have a share of the TV rights etc etc.

If Liverpool don`t make the champions league next year then they will struggle to lure the top players to Anfield, all the top players want to sign for clubs that are in the champions league.

With a reduced revenue stream they will be forced by the banks to offload some of their biggest assets to erase some of the huge debts and to make the payments on their loans, europa league games won`t sell out anfield which is a fact as fans won`t want to pay extra money to watch 2nd rate football when were in a recession.

Tell me what isn`t true about the above seeing as you obviously know it all ?
12 years ago Arsenal wont the Premier league. After 20 games, they were 6th.

Now I'll accept Liverpool won't win this years league, but the way you're going on, their finished. They'll still be top 4.

You mentioned doing a Leeds? Got a crystal ball have you? And if so, who's next years F1 champ? Hamilton or Button?
Old 25 November 2009, 05:57 PM
ash1
Scooby Regular

has anyone been on the blower to UEFA to pass on the intelligence from this thread?

best do so that they can update the club rankings accordingly.
Old 25 November 2009, 06:32 PM
pauld37
Scooby Regular

has anyone been on the blower to UEFA to pass on the intelligence from this thread?

best do so that they can update the club rankings accordingly.
They're probably still chuckling about you being dumped out, and are changing it as we post
Old 25 November 2009, 06:44 PM
chris1scouser
Scooby Regular

Default Datum point

The measure off a clubs size is not the gate sizes or attendances.
Its the amount of support worldwide and profile of the club in britain and overseas.
Therefore if Liverpool are comparible to a persons @rse then that @rse must be of large proportions to say the least.
There is no doubt Liverpool is an unstable club presently, Poor quality signings, unwise decisions and Rick Parry choosing to pull out of a zero hour handshake and allow the carpet baggers in have caused this.
Yet many Liverpool fans still wish Rafa to manage the club.
Alonso,
Keane,
Bellamy,
Riise,
Hyypia if these players were still at the club would we be in this present state?
Do any Liverpool fans wish to answer? Its a simple yes or no.
My answer is no and the reason we are where we are is down to one person and that is the manager.
Old 25 November 2009, 07:28 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chris1scouser
The measure off a clubs size is not the gate sizes or attendances.
Its the amount of support worldwide and profile of the club in britain and overseas.
Therefore if Liverpool are comparible to a persons @rse then that @rse must be of large proportions to say the least.
There is no doubt Liverpool is an unstable club presently, Poor quality signings, unwise decisions and Rick Parry choosing to pull out of a zero hour handshake and allow the carpet baggers in have caused this.
Yet many Liverpool fans still wish Rafa to manage the club.
Alonso,
Keane,
Bellamy,
Riise,
Hyypia if these players were still at the club would we be in this present state?
Do any Liverpool fans wish to answer? Its a simple yes or no.
My answer is no and the reason we are where we are is down to one person and that is the manager.
Yes.

Alonso, great player, shouldn't have been sold. But we've missed Torres and Gerrard more.
Keane. Not Rafa's man. Shouldn't have been at the club.
Bellamy. Not good enough over a season.
Riise. Any better than Aurellio? Doubtful, certainly not a solid full back.
Hyypia. King Sami, but the past, not the future.

Carragher has been poor this season. Should we get rid of him? What
about Reina, couple of bad games. Sell him? Where do you draw the line Chris?
Old 25 November 2009, 08:21 PM
ash1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pauld37
They're probably still chuckling about you being dumped out, and are changing it as we post
think they are too busy lining up the right refs for your CL games.
Old 25 November 2009, 11:32 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes.

Carragher has been poor for the past 2 seasons (corrected). Should we get rid of this paceless drunk ?
Rafa see's the Keane issue differently, from the Times a couple of weeks back, also discussed in here

Originally Posted by Rafa Benitez
Would Liverpool have won the league last season if Barry had signed? It is a question that Benítez must have mulled over a thousand times. He gives a deep sigh, so heavy that it is audible when the tape is played back.

“You never know,” he said slowly. “Football is a funny game. The plan was for Barry to play on the left and feed the ball to Robbie Keane, who would play up front with Fernando Torres. This blueprint had to be scrapped. The collateral damage was Keane, who signed from Tottenham Hotspur before the Barry deal had been done.

“When we wanted to sign Barry, we were sure we were signing a good player with a very good mentality and the quality to play in the Premier League. The priority was Barry, then Keane.”

Against a chaotic backdrop of politicking and finger-pointing at Anfield, Benítez’s priorities were ignored. Keane was the collateral damage but there were wider disappointments for the manager.

“We were looking to the future because we knew we needed three or four English players in the squad [for the Champions League],” Benítez said. “We knew there were rule changes and we needed English players and we were trying to get there early.

“The only way to do that was to sell [foreign] players and bring money in to sign English players. But the main thing about Barry is that he can play in three positions. To sign Barry would have been a very good addition for the team.”
Old 25 November 2009, 11:42 PM
chris1scouser
Scooby Regular

Default Players

Yes.

Alonso, great player, shouldn't have been sold. But we've missed Torres and Gerrard more.
Bellamy. Not good enough over a season.
Riise. Any better than Aurellio? Doubtful, certainly not a solid full back.
Hyypia. King Sami, but the past, not the future.

Carragher has been poor this season. Should we get rid of him? What
about Reina, couple of bad games. Sell him? Where do you draw the line Chris?
Aurelio utter crap, he's not even good enough to oust insua. In my view Riise is a far superior player, Better energy levels and stronger physically.
Tell me why voronin and ngog get picked in front of babel? the reason is simple babel has a mouth the other two just comply.
i know i'm in the minority but i just think Rafa doesn't play individuals because of personal issues not footballing ones thus harming the team.
Yes the shoddy doings of the ******** cowboys is having a negative impact but the majority of the blame lies with rafa. he picks the team and tells them how to play. i think skrtel is making more mistakes than carra.
Why did rafa not put bellamy on the CL final against milan in the last twenty minutes when their OAP centre backs looked leggy. my son seen bellamy could of had an impact in that game he was only 9 then. rafa left bellamy out to teach him a lesson and the game was lost.
In Rafa we trust, not me he doesn't seem like an honest man to me.
I just don't see how so many fans still think he can bring the team forward . i think he's spent.
Old 26 November 2009, 05:22 AM
pauld37
Scooby Regular

think they are too busy lining up the right refs for your CL games.
Old 26 November 2009, 09:05 AM
Gav
Scooby Regular

Yay ash is back
Old 26 November 2009, 09:50 AM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

Of course you make a valid point there. Tell me, under the "old rules" how would Man United have faired in the 1998/1999 Champions League?
As you know, having finished 1 point behind Arsenal (but with a much better goal difference and 12 points ahead of 3rd placed Liverpool), under the old rules Man Utd would not have qualified for the European Cup that they eventually won in 1999. However, don't forget that "only" 2 English clubs qualified back then and that the second place team still had to pre-qualify to earn a place in the Group stages, so it wasn't nearly as generous as the current qualification system.

Liverpool won the CL in 2005 after finishing a distant 4th the previous year in the Premiership, a massive 32 points behind Champions Arsenal.

Man Utd's most recent CL victory (2008) was won as Premier League champions, as per the old rules.

Last edited by Turbo2; 26 November 2009 at 09:54 AM.