Sport General sport discussion

Newcastle United - my own fans disgust me

Search this Thread

Old 26 November 2007, 03:37 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newcastle United - my own fans disgust me

Having been a season ticket holder for 25 years, since I was a toddler, I was appalled at the behaviour of our so-called "magnificient" fans

We have a new manager who needed to completely overhaul the side, who's barely been in the job and we have "supporters" shouting expletives at him, and telling him he doesn't know what he's doing.

For years we've been a club who've won nothing. Fans expectations are ludicrously high and we seem to believe success can be achieved immediately.

Lets stop the cycle of changing our managers every five minutes and stick behind Allardyce and give the guy time to turn things around. Lets have patience while he transitions everything that was wrong at the club into a team that can challenge for at least a top 5 spot.

After the weekend and behaviour of some of our fans, I'm embarassed to admit I'm a member of the toon army.
Old 26 November 2007, 03:46 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Toon fans have always been clueless. They think they're somewhere on the world map of football but as a club they don't rank anywhere. Fair play to you for admitting how poor the fans are though.
Old 26 November 2007, 03:57 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
Toon fans have always been clueless. They think they're somewhere on the world map of football but as a club they don't rank anywhere. Fair play to you for admitting how poor the fans are though.
And I'll defend our fans to the hilt to. I said *some* of our fans were a disgrace. The rest continue to fill the stadium week in week out, regardless of how good or bad the football is.

There's no harm in wanting so much for your team, but at the same time, as fans, we have to be pragmatic. These things don't happen overnight.

The support , stadium and finances are all there to become a top 5 club (or higher). I firmly believe now Freddy Shephard has gone, we'll start making progress, but our fans need to learn patience. Alex Ferguson took 5 years before he did anything at Man Utd, and he's gone on to be one of the finest managers the Premiership has ever seen. All I'm saying is give Sam time. He's barely been there 4 months and he's had to rip the old side apart.
Old 26 November 2007, 03:58 PM
pauld37
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by spectrum48k
Having been a season ticket holder for 25 years, since I was a toddler, I was appalled at the behaviour of our so-called "magnificient" fans

We have a new manager who needed to completely overhaul the side, who's barely been in the job and we have "supporters" shouting expletives at him, and telling him he doesn't know what he's doing.

For years we've been a club who've won nothing. Fans expectations are ludicrously high and we seem to believe success can be achieved immediately.

Lets stop the cycle of changing our managers every five minutes and stick behind Allardyce and give the guy time to turn things around. Lets have patience while he transitions everything that was wrong at the club into a team that can challenge for at least a top 5 spot.

After the weekend and behaviour of some of our fans, I'm embarassed to admit I'm a member of the toon army.
Honestly put.

The best supported, most underachieving team there is
Old 26 November 2007, 04:00 PM
pauld37
Scooby Regular

Subtle as ever .

Whereas USA fans think their team has the devine right to win everything
Old 26 November 2007, 04:07 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

No player worth his salt wants to play for Newcastle though which is why they'll never challenge at the top again. They're the club that takes the cast offs from the top 4. As for this reputation of being the best fans ever well I've seen no evidence of that. They were streaming out of the place the other week when they were being beat.
Old 26 November 2007, 04:20 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

No player worth his salt wants to play for Newcastle though which is why they'll never challenge at the top again. They're the club that takes the cast offs from the top 4. As for this reputation of being the best fans ever well I've seen no evidence of that. They were streaming out of the place the other week when they were being beat.
Sorry, I'm only able to respond to people equipped with 1 or more brain cells, which appears to rule you out. There's nothing sensible at all to respond to there.

Trending Topics

Old 26 November 2007, 04:24 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

It's the truth but for you to accept that would mean there would be nothing for you to be optimistic about with regards to supporting your team.
Old 26 November 2007, 04:31 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pauld37
Whereas Manchester United fans think their team has the devine right to win everything
When you have God as your manager divinity comes as standard

Only kidding, I hate those that assume we should win everything, plastic supporters who latched onto the club in the early 90's and onwards.
Old 26 November 2007, 05:16 PM
pauld37
Scooby Regular

As for this reputation of being the best fans ever well I've seen no evidence of that. They were streaming out of the place the other week when they were being beat.
Funnily enough I was watching the re run of when Chelsea beat Man USA in the 2004/05 season at O/T, when Chelsea beat your lot 3-1, the place was empty with ten minutes left must have been mistaken
Old 26 November 2007, 05:17 PM
pauld37
Scooby Regular

No player worth his salt wants to play for Newcastle though which is why they'll never challenge at the top again. They're the club that takes the cast offs from the top 4.
Ferguson wet his pants trying to get Shearer to O/T but he gave 'em the V sign
Old 26 November 2007, 05:18 PM
pauld37
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii
When you have God as your manager divinity comes as standard

I guess so
Old 26 November 2007, 07:16 PM
exvaux
Scooby Regular

erm isnt michael owen a newcastle player (when he isnt injured)
Old 26 November 2007, 08:08 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by exvaux
erm isnt michael owen a newcastle player (when he isnt injured)
Exactly, point proven
Old 26 November 2007, 11:24 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

spectrum48k I've been a supporter all my life though never a season ticket holder. i agree with what your saying about the fans getting on Sam's back and its not on, but you have to admit there was some funny decisions and the tactics where none existent, long ***** just don't work. what we are lacking is someone in midfield that can create chances, that can open up opposition defences and give Martins some chances
Old 26 November 2007, 11:42 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ronjeramy
spectrum48k I've been a supporter all my life though never a season ticket holder. i agree with what your saying about the fans getting on Sam's back and its not on, but you have to admit there was some funny decisions and the tactics where none existent, long ***** just don't work. what we are lacking is someone in midfield that can create chances, that can open up opposition defences and give Martins some chances
in other words, what we're lacking is currently a player we don't possess and which the *new* manager needs to aqquire?

He's had one transfer window with which people expect him to transform a squad of no-hopers and relegation candidates. Just prior to that transfer window, the club changed ownership further complicating the issue.

By the time he had money to sign anyone (£10m), all the deals had been done (Ben Haim, Dystain) and all that was left were foreign players with no Premiership experience (Rozenhaal, Cacapa, Enriquez). If you look at Bolton, anytime he brought in foreign players he NEVER threw them straight in, but over a period of months gradually introduced them to the pace of the Premiership. He hasn't had that luxury with ANY of our new defenders and sadly it shows.

We did buy Barton and I'm confident he'll turn out to be a great buy if he can stay on the pitch(!) but he was injured for a long period and is taking time to get back up to speed. He's a good link man for midfield and had a decent assists record at City.

Last edited by spectrum48k; 27 November 2007 at 12:57 AM.
Old 27 November 2007, 12:10 AM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

Exactly. I think the problem is what Sven has done at City in such a short period of time and that's what the fans are making comparisons to, whether that's fair or not i dont know?
Old 27 November 2007, 01:03 AM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Exactly. I think the problem is what Sven has done at City in such a short period of time and that's what the fans are making comparisons to, whether that's fair or not i dont know?
Granted, what Sven has done is incredible in such a short space of time. I keep expecting injuries to kick in and for them to start dropping down the table, but they keep getting better!

Can't see us picking up any points from Blackburn or Arsenal. Hope Allardyce can get through this patch.
Old 27 November 2007, 08:11 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

You barcodes do make me laugh You've spent years bouncing up and down in the middle of the table, all the while moaning (rightly at times) about your succession of underwhelming managers. Then when you've finally managed to attract a decent manager, who's previous team consistently improved their position year upon year (quite often finishing above you) despite an almost total absence of funds, you're on his back after less than four months
Give the guy a chance, he's cleared out most of your dead wood (Boumsong, Bramble, etc) IMO the new players just need time to gel

Having said that his substitutions were a bit puzzling on Saturday (even more than some of Rafa's recent choices), not that I'm complaining, I was just happy to see our lot play some actual football for a change, plus it's always nice to come away from your place with all the points
Old 27 November 2007, 10:03 AM
richiewong
Twatful

I've said it numerous times but no matter how badly the team perform I will not boo them or the manager.

Like everything you pay good money for you expect some quality, I mean you don't for fois gras just to served Matterson's meat paste do you.
So I can understand a lot of fans frustrations and their right to air this.

Yes some of Allardyce's decisions appeared very bizarre and I think no one in the stands understood why he didin't play with 2 wingers but that was his choice and if it worked it worked but it clearly didn't.

Like everyone nowadays, everyone wants instant success but this is not going to happen and he needs more time.

Just to add I got off my sick bed and went to game, had a throughly good laugh about it all and supported the team.
Also being a football fan it was great to see some brilliant football displayed at SJP even though it was by Liverpool, think Crouch got the biggest round of applause all day from all sides, when he came on, for his England efforts midweek.
Old 27 November 2007, 10:21 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

And how many people wanted this long ball merchant as England Manager, thank god he doesn't want it.
Old 27 November 2007, 11:32 AM
pauld37
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by richiewong
Just to add I got off my sick bed and went to game, had a throughly good laugh about it all and supported the team.
Also being a football fan it was great to see some brilliant football displayed at SJP even though it was by Liverpool
Old 27 November 2007, 12:13 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

And how many people wanted this long ball merchant as England Manager, thank god he doesn't want it.
"long ball merchant"

More rubbish.

So, since when was Nicolas Annelka a "long ball" striker ? One of the thoroughbred strikers in the Premiership with around 10 goals this season, and whom top managers like Alex Ferguson has tried to buy numerous times? You honestly think Annelka would've come to Bolton had he known they were a long ball team ? Stelios? Diouff? Hardly long ball merchants.

Allardyce started out at Bolton with no money, in the wrong division and unable to attract any big names to the club. Slowly he's built them up, got them in the Premiership, got them challenging consistently near the top and was thus able to afford to bring in the likes of Annelka and play the type of football that suits him.

Last edited by spectrum48k; 27 November 2007 at 12:15 PM.
Old 27 November 2007, 01:18 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

"long ball merchant"

More rubbish.

So, since when was Nicolas Annelka a "long ball" striker ? One of the thoroughbred strikers in the Premiership with around 10 goals this season, and whom top managers like Alex Ferguson has tried to buy numerous times? You honestly think Annelka would've come to Bolton had he known they were a long ball team ? Stelios? Diouff? Hardly long ball merchants.

Allardyce started out at Bolton with no money, in the wrong division and unable to attract any big names to the club. Slowly he's built them up, got them in the Premiership, got them challenging consistently near the top and was thus able to afford to bring in the likes of Annelka and play the type of football that suits him.

You're right you have written a complete load of rubbish, Bolton fan backing your old Boss ?? I never doubted he did a great job at Bolton, which he did, just stating he enjoys the long ball game which the NUFC fans are now picking up on, you've seen how pleased there are with that in this thread.

Actually I didn't mention Anelka in my thread but as you've brought him up i'll respond, you're right Anelka is a great player, when he's in the mood, he was playing for a crap team in Turkey, yet another move self constructed by Nic and his bros, again stating he wanted Champions League football, something he has stated on numerous occasions whilst at Bolton, he only signed a new contracty because no one came in for him in the summer. So he has scored 10 goals for a poor Bolton team, excellant work without doubt, how many had he got at this stage last season ?? playing the long ball rubbish, it wasn't 10 thats for sure, and if you asked him who's football suited his style he probably wouldn't mention Bolton, he'd plump for Arsenal, Real, Man U, a quality attacking side, he could have been a world class striker if his attitude hadn't been an issue or had his greedy brothers trying to run his life for him, it's possible he will be off in January when Man City or Arsenal come in for him, do you think he will stay ?? Mr Loyal he aint !

As for the other players you mention, Stelios, he can't even get in the side on a regular basis these days and Diouf is an overated animal, we we're discussing Alladyce so don't bring your substandard players to the table, talking of which what the hell happened to Nolan, not a patch on the player he was 2 years ago, one player IMHO holds your team together, Mr Speed.
Old 27 November 2007, 02:27 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

I never doubted he did a great job at Bolton, which he did, just stating he enjoys the long ball game which the NUFC fans are now picking up on, you've seen how pleased there are with that in this thread.
he's been here 3 months and is trying to rebuild a side who were verging on relegation prior to his arrival. Now is not the time to rush in and judge him. The Premiershiop is plagued with managers being judged and sacked after 5 minutes. It has to stop.

So he has scored 10 goals for a poor Bolton team, excellant work without doubt, how many had he got at this stage last season ?? playing the long ball rubbish, it wasn't 10 thats for sure
Bolton were *evolving* under Allardyce. He started with nothing and played a system to suit that, which progressed his side into the Premiership. His budget increased each season to the point where he could afford something better than Stelios and Diouff, but not your Wayne Rooney's, so he bought Annelka. The more quality players you bring in the better the football you can play. Bolton were EVOLVING.

, and if you asked him who's football suited his style he probably wouldn't mention Bolton, he'd plump for Arsenal, Real, Man U, a quality attacking side, he could have been a world class striker if his attitude hadn't been an issue or had his greedy brothers trying to run his life for him, it's possible he will be off in January when Man City or Arsenal come in for him, do you think he will stay ?? Mr Loyal he aint !
Irrelevant

As for the other players you mention, Stelios, he can't even get in the side on a regular basis these days and Diouf is an overated animal, we we're discussing Alladyce so don't bring your substandard players to the table, talking of which what the hell happened to Nolan, not a patch on the player he was 2 years ago, one player IMHO holds your team together, Mr Speed.
No, you brought up "long ball merchant" - Stelios and Diouff play football, regardless of how well they do it. They are NOT big battering rams used in a long ball sides. As for your opinion on them - that's irrelevant

Nobody is denying Bolton didn't play pretty football, but they didn't have a pot to p1ss in when Allardyce joined, so you play whatever way you can to get out of the Championship and in with the big boys where the money is. Bolton rose steadily through the Premiership bringing in better quality players along the way.
Old 27 November 2007, 04:50 PM
WR 1mposter
Scooby Regular

Sven is a excellent manager, if he were still incharge of the national side we would be making plans for euro08 !
Old 27 November 2007, 04:51 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

I think you are missing the point, I was just stating Fat Sam likes the long ball game and is no genius tactician and I wouldn't want him as England Manager.

I didn't say he should be sacked, I never said Anelka, nor Stelios, nor Diouf, were long ball merchants, quote me if incorrect, it was only their ex manager, and I know he doesn't do it game in game out, only when he needs to adopt it, which sadly is a lot of the time and usually against the bigger teams, because ?? i'm guessing he doesn't have the players to compete or he doesn't have the nouse to beat them

You brought those players into the equation, why I don't know because I was talking about Alladyce, afterwhich I purely gave you my opinion of those players, you say my post about Anelka's attitude is irrelevant , based on that comment your entire post apart from the 1st paragraph is irrelevant because my post was about Sam and not Bolton or their players.

Cheers
Old 27 November 2007, 04:55 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

read your comment again - LONG BALL MERCHANT

it implies he buys players to play a LONG BALL GAME

I'm pointing out Diouff, Stelios and Annelka are players Sam bought but ARE NOT long ball players.

Thus "LONG BALL MERCHANT" is wrong in my view.

As for tactics - he's taken enough points of top established Premiership managers to realise that his tactics work - much to their frustration.

Lets give Sam time and see what he does with a bigger transfer budget with which he can buy better footballers. All I'm saying is doing judge him too quickly and give the guy a chance.
Old 27 November 2007, 08:49 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Talking

read your comment again - LONG BALL MERCHANT

it implies he buys players to play a LONG BALL GAME

Now I can see why you've been so animated, I'm guessing you have come to that conclusion because of the word Merchant ? clearly you've never heard of the phrase "long ball merchant"

BTW I never imply, always say.

p.s. I dont want to be a pedant but there is only one n in Anelka and one f in Diouf
Old 28 November 2007, 10:53 AM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

Barcodes always been fickle fans, Big Fat Sam will be lucky to last till the new year. Come easter when their boycotting matches & staying away hel be sacked and replaced come easter in preperation for season ticket sales.

Quick Reply: Newcastle United - my own fans disgust me