Notices
Sport General sport discussion

RWC - Has it become the fly half word championhip?

Search this Thread

Old 14 October 2007, 12:19 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RWC - Has it become the fly half word championhip?

Are there no hard men left in RWC. It seems that if your fly half is on form you win and if they aren't you lose.

A few months ago Ireland licked the **** out of England with a fly half on top of his game. Unfortunately his game seemed to be billiards at the RWC. France and Beauxis battered Ireland, after Argentina battered France with an on form Contempi. For 4 years Wilkinson has been injured and England have been nobody. Suddenly he has a game which could only be described as merely average and they are in the final.

What happened to the big hard rugby men
Old 14 October 2007, 12:38 AM
rigga
Scooby Regular

All in the bar getting pissed and comparing who's ear looks more chewed up mate.....
Old 14 October 2007, 11:23 AM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

I know what you mean FB, seems like it's all down to the kicking game at the moment, at least with the northern hemisphere teams. At least we'll see South Africa scoring plenty of tries in the final against England.
Old 14 October 2007, 01:32 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Always seemed to me that the fly half is the link between the forwards and the backs, which makes him pretty important.

Les
Old 14 October 2007, 08:53 PM
Daryl
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by STi-Frenchie
I know what you mean FB, seems like it's all down to the kicking game at the moment, at least with the northern hemisphere teams. At least we'll see South Africa scoring plenty of tries in the final against England.
It never ceases to amaze me how bitter and twisted the anti-England brigade are. If you don't understand the game, it's best to keep quiet!
Old 14 October 2007, 11:18 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Daryl
It never ceases to amaze me how bitter and twisted the anti-England brigade are. If you don't understand the game, it's best to keep quiet!
Don't get me wrong. I am hoping for two England world champions next weekend, but is isn't just the english. I remember Willie John McBride captaining Ireland and the Lions as a kid. As B2Z says, the boks have a reputation as being dirty. I remember McBride calling 99 and the entire Lions team kicked the **** out of the nearest bok. I remember him punching a one eyed South African in the good eye as he(the South African) was causing the Lions loads of grief. Chebal's tackle on the kiwi no 8 has been hailed as the tackle of the century, but every mcbride tacle looked like the future of mankind rested on it.

I am not just being historically hysterical about Oirish people though. o back a couple of years to Jonah Lumo. There was a man who could win a match with noting more than sheer brutality. Sheridan should be doing the same for Englan. The man is a monster, but he doesn't seem to have the ability to punish teams in the worst way

Trending Topics

Old 15 October 2007, 06:58 AM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Daryl
Nothing to do with being anti-England, just stating my opinion and what will surely become a reality next Saturday.
Old 15 October 2007, 10:20 AM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fast bloke
I am not just being historically hysterical about Oirish people though. o back a couple of years to Jonah Lumo. There was a man who could win a match with noting more than sheer brutality. Sheridan should be doing the same for Englan. The man is a monster, but he doesn't seem to have the ability to punish teams in the worst way
Are you taking the **** or do you not understand the game? Sheridan pretty much tore the Australian pack apart last weekend and you're telling us he doesn't punish teams?

I've heard it all now.
Old 16 October 2007, 01:03 PM
DesR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
The Boks are feking dirty
I'm sure there has never been any dirty play by any English players ever... maybe you are referring to the Boks clothing after the match?
Old 16 October 2007, 01:35 PM
DesR
Scooby Regular

Nope i'm referring to their consistently high (neck high) tackling and dangerous play
Ho hum .

- Simon Shaw was carded for a high tackle in the French game in August.
- Vickery tripped a player in the USA game
- Dallaglio was sin-binned in the USA game

The point I was making is no team is 'clean'.
Old 16 October 2007, 03:37 PM
DesR
Scooby Regular

Disagree completely. That 'honour' belongs to the Pacific Island teams.
Old 16 October 2007, 04:51 PM
DesR
Scooby Regular

I agree they are very bad for it but not as bad as the Boks
I suggest you watch the games involving them again.
Old 16 October 2007, 10:02 PM
DesR
Scooby Regular

I'll wait for Saturday and see if i'm right. SA seem to be trying to make a big thing of saying they are going to 'neutralise' Wilkinson so are they saying they are going to injure him early on as that what it sounds like? More dirty tactics Saturday.
Actually they are saying they have NO plans for Wilkinson.

Boks have no special Jonny plan | Rugby World Cup 2007 | Brought to you by Sportsbet

However, even if they were saying what you are suggesting is it really surprising that a team would target the most influential player in the opposition side (and I'm not referring to dirty play)? I would be very surprised if England were not looking at ways to stop Fourie du Preez, Matfield or Habana.

Returning to the original point I was making about dirty play, it may surprise you but several teams regard England as dirty. To label the Boks as dirty without taking a good look at England and happily ignoring the view the rest of the rugby world has of England isnt a reasonable approach.

You have specifically cited high tackles as the burning issue for you yet you have ignored similar offences by English players based on an assertion that it's something the Boks do as part of their natural game. Right now your statements about the Boks are just not being backed up by the match statistics, which show the penalty count against them for their matches as being 'normal'. Unless of course theres a plot by the IRB to get the Boks to win the RWC by ignoring their foul play?