Sport General sport discussion

Mr.Poll

Search this Thread

Old 10 April 2007, 04:41 PM
idf101
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mr.Poll

Yet again this "referee" is in trouble this time he arranged to signal Alan Curbishley when he was near to sending off one of the charlton players.
With the signal he was withdrawn from play surely this is wrong and gives an unfair advantage?
I note the prem league has supported him saying it is a good idea what does this man has to do before he is demoted to the lower ranks,time after time he puts himself up as bigger than the game even signing autographs!!
Old 10 April 2007, 04:50 PM
monkeysan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

surely the signal should have been a yellow card - from then on a player MUST know to behave themselves

signals like his are all fine and well in friendly/testimonial games - however in a competative league? no way
Old 10 April 2007, 07:31 PM
lpski1
Scooby Regular

Curbs !!! i dont think so, Pardew you mean
Old 11 April 2007, 04:27 PM
idf101
Scooby Regular

Oops you are quite right i cannot get used to all these changes i had just got used to Coleman at Fulham when...........!
Old 11 April 2007, 04:55 PM
Martin-STI
Scooby Regular

Well, football is a game played by 22 players and has 3 people who are supposed to make sure that it is played in a fair way and by the rules.

But it is actually a spectator sport where by if a ref sends someone off then people moan about "The Ref has spoilt the game"

I think what should happen is 2 yellows for niggly fouls and that means you have to be subbed, if all subs used then tough you are off for this match but dont miss the next one.

For dirty and bad tackles then rules remain the same.

People pay alot of money to watch football and I think that we as the paying public already get ripped off with "the ball in play for 50 of the 90mins" as it is and I think Graham Poll was right on this occasion to "give the nod"

I am not a GP fan and think the Refs now think they are "The Stars" but we pay to see 11 v 11, preferbly for 90mins.

I think the minute issue is the one to look at, if you pay £35 for a match that equals 38p a minute, but in realitiy we are paying 70p a minute due to the ball is only on the pitch for 50mins max if you are lucky, so that would work out at £42 per hour if you and I was working for that rate. We wish.
Old 11 April 2007, 05:15 PM
idf101
Scooby Regular

You make some fair points Martin however my concern is referees consistency, if this type of action is acceptable then it must be transparent to all.
I am also concerned it may actually put a pressure on the refereee because quite often what he may see as a second yellow does not tie up with what the manager sees!
My own view is it must surely be the managers sole responsibilty to judge when his own player is at risk of a further caution and he must take suitable action and not rely on any official.