Notices
Sport General sport discussion

thinking of a new set of irons? just got some callaway big bertha irons for...

Search this Thread

Old 12 November 2006, 04:22 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile thinking of a new set of irons? just got some callaway big bertha irons for...

£289 granted that was with a decent trade in on my old maxfli revoloutions but i don't think i could have got much more for them on ebay TBH.

from american golf, 2004 models,RRP £349 and i'm sure there's a few better deals on the web.

went in the shop with taylor made R7 irons in mind and went into the nets with the R7xd, cbd and RAC along with callaway X18 and big berthas.

seing as the prices ranged from £800 down to the £350 for the berthas i was expecting big things from the cbd (£800), personally i couldn't feel too much difference between the R7 xd (£549) and the cbd so put the cbd to one side, the RAC was also put to one side as it was a low trajectory which isn't for me.

never thought i'd like the callaways and just had them for a comparison, but after hitting a few shots i took a bit more notice X18 were very nice but a bit lighter than the big bertha and didn't feel £250 better, so it was down to the R7 xd and the big bertha.

it was going on the plastic so budget was forgotten and for once i took the advice of the pro there and after a bit of discussion the big bertha's won the day

sorry to waffle on, but i thought i'd write up my experience for anyone thinking of trying these clubs, haven't tried these on the course yet so i might be back in a few days pointing towards some callaways in the for sale section

if you're in the maidstone area, you can't go far wrong than give american discount a go. didn't catch the guys name, but he was the manager and was a great help in my decision
Old 12 November 2006, 06:55 PM
pauld37
Scooby Regular

Had Callaways for about 8 years now, dont play regularily anymore and find them ideal for me

Look forward to hearing how they go on the course
Old 17 November 2006, 08:46 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

well, a wet and windy hever castle golf club was the first outing for the new sticks today.

overall i'm quite happy where my old maxfli's felt like you really had to belt them to get them a decent distance, the callaways are the complete opposite. a nice easy swing and you're away.

unfortunately i don't do 'nice and easy' that often so i had a couple of skanky shots

the 10 iron gap wedge is the favourite so far and kept the vokey out of my hands all day. did feel the need for a 3 iron though so might well invest in this soon.

nice and easy club to hit and gets a thumbs up from me