Sport General sport discussion

Roeder

Search this Thread

Old 23 April 2006, 02:31 PM
Castrol
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roeder

With talk of dispensation from the Premier League, fast tracking for his Pro badge and the odds dropping from 17-1 Saturday morning to 2-1 by 17:00, do we really want Roeder as our next Manager?

He's brought 28 points from 13 games, which had we maintained that kind of form over the whole Season, would see us 3rd on 78 points, breathing down ManYu's neck for the auto ECL slot, and comfortably ahead of Liverpool in 3rd - albeit both have a game in hand. He's put the team back where it was before everything went wrong - in a Euro position. And remember, despite the jibes from certain quarters in here about us being under achievers etc, it's only 2 Seasons ago we were 5th, 3rd the Season before and 4th before that. A top 4 finish, doesn't give our team nosebleeds. Indeed, despite being in the EPL a season less than most of our rivals, we're still the 5th best EPL team of all time.

Roeder seems to understand the hopes and desires of your average NUFC fan. He knows the way we like to see Football played and has gone about his job quietly and calmly - no fuss or public rants (Robson), no digs at fans (Robson) or players (Robson and Souness) and no falling out so publicly with the players we need to play for us (Robson and Souness!). He plays a Left Back at... Left Back; Strikers play up front and Midfielders in Midfield - are you watching Robson (in particlular) and Souness? Does it work? Yes! Why didn't his predecessors do the same thing? Who knows...

He knows when the Defence is poor and puts time to one side, to talk to them in groups and as individuals. We know he's going to buy in the long term, but for now, he's worked hard and rebuilt the confidence of some and helped the technique of all. We now score twice as many goals as we let in. Not perfect, but a start. He's given the team some self respect back.

We're told he's spending a lot of time looking for a replacement for Shearer - something that should've been done by Robson, not to mention Souness! Instead, both shopped around for more Midfielders...

Roeder's steadied the ship and all without a budget or a transfer window to spend in. Robson wasted over £70 million, Souness £50+ million. Few of Robson's purchases are at the Club now and most have left for far less than they cost. Roeder's shown that a good Manager can make players work as a Team - something we've seen little of for a few Seasons.

Roeder In!
Old 23 April 2006, 07:00 PM
speye91
Scooby Regular

Second that

mick
Old 23 April 2006, 08:51 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

I must admit I liked him when he was at West Ham, I thought he got a bit of a raw deal there TBH. It would all depend on whether he has the strength of will to work under your exceedingly reticent & publicity shy chairman on a permanent basis I suppose

It would appear to be a far more sensible move than the Souness one was though.
Old 23 April 2006, 08:54 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

PS, I would say that in Owen you have the perfect replacement for Shearer, if you can keep him What you need is a player for Owen to work off. A new Beardsley if you like
Old 24 April 2006, 07:46 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
PS, I would say that in Owen you have the perfect replacement for Shearer, if you can keep him What you need is a player for Owen to work off. A new Beardsley if you like

I think we'd all like a new Beardsley, class player
Old 24 April 2006, 09:24 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

The thing you have not had a chance to see though is how he opperates in the transfer market. Does he have the eye for a player? also you may still be in the honeymoon period after Souness.
Old 24 April 2006, 09:32 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii
I think we'd all like a new Beardsley, class player
You're not wrong, could do with the next one being a bit more photogenic though
Old 24 April 2006, 09:42 AM
richiewong
Twatful

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
You're not wrong, could do with the next one being a bit more photogenic though
Leave the ugly maestro alone

Wouldn't mind Roeder on what he's done with the assets he was left with.

Certainly seems to know how to manage and motivate players and also tactically aware. Never had a chance against quality clubs though
Definately need to see what happens in the transfer market if he stays.

Don't mind losing the fiver I've got on Hitzfeld
Old 24 April 2006, 10:16 AM
WRX-NZ
Scooby Regular

He has done a fantastic job

And he's done it without whingeing about all the injuries the team has suffered.

If we don't get Martin Oneil then I think Roeder should be given the chance, but they have to back him with the cash & get rid off the injury prone and under achievers.
Old 24 April 2006, 01:11 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Should get Pedro out of retirement for the last couple of games, he always does alright in thye masters. Just bring him on with 20 minutes left to play.

If he wants it and O'neil deicides against coming to the toon, Roeder should be given a chance. As has already been said, he's steadied the ship etc etc. See what he does in the close season transfer wise, and hopefully we'll get next season off to a flying start.

If we don't qualify for Europe next season it might prove difficult to attract players, but at least any targets would choose us over the smoggies

Last edited by mickywrx; 24 April 2006 at 01:14 PM.
Old 24 April 2006, 01:39 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Originally Posted by Castrol
With talk of dispensation from the Premier League, fast tracking for his Pro badge and the odds dropping from 17-1 Saturday morning to 2-1 by 17:00, do we really want Roeder as our next Manager?

He's brought 28 points from 13 games, which had we maintained that kind of form over the whole Season, would see us 3rd on 78 points, breathing down ManYu's neck for the auto ECL slot, and comfortably ahead of Liverpool in 3rd - albeit both have a game in hand. He's put the team back where it was before everything went wrong - in a Euro position. And remember, despite the jibes from certain quarters in here about us being under achievers etc, it's only 2 Seasons ago we were 5th, 3rd the Season before and 4th before that. A top 4 finish, doesn't give our team nosebleeds. Indeed, despite being in the EPL a season less than most of our rivals, we're still the 5th best EPL team of all time.

Roeder seems to understand the hopes and desires of your average NUFC fan. He knows the way we like to see Football played and has gone about his job quietly and calmly - no fuss or public rants (Robson), no digs at fans (Robson) or players (Robson and Souness) and no falling out so publicly with the players we need to play for us (Robson and Souness!). He plays a Left Back at... Left Back; Strikers play up front and Midfielders in Midfield - are you watching Robson (in particlular) and Souness? Does it work? Yes! Why didn't his predecessors do the same thing? Who knows...

He knows when the Defence is poor and puts time to one side, to talk to them in groups and as individuals. We know he's going to buy in the long term, but for now, he's worked hard and rebuilt the confidence of some and helped the technique of all. We now score twice as many goals as we let in. Not perfect, but a start. He's given the team some self respect back.

We're told he's spending a lot of time looking for a replacement for Shearer - something that should've been done by Robson, not to mention Souness! Instead, both shopped around for more Midfielders...

Roeder's steadied the ship and all without a budget or a transfer window to spend in. Robson wasted over £70 million, Souness £50+ million. Few of Robson's purchases are at the Club now and most have left for far less than they cost. Roeder's shown that a good Manager can make players work as a Team - something we've seen little of for a few Seasons.

Roeder In!
I heard Roder couldnt take the job full time as he had already signed up for another series of the BBC sitcom "Game On"??
Old 24 April 2006, 05:08 PM
Castrol
Scooby Regular

Game On
I assume he's not Samantha Janus...
Old 24 April 2006, 06:41 PM
speye91
Scooby Regular

be nice to have her 2
Old 25 April 2006, 09:15 PM
Mark_S
Scooby Regular

Word on the street is that Roeder has got the job subject to ratification from the FA. The plan is for him to complete the remainder of his pro licence course during the summer.

He deserves a chance and the fans are actually behind this appointment!

Meanwhile on Wearyside O'Neill is likely to take the job provided that he gets a fat wedge to spend on players following the take over.
Old 26 April 2006, 10:42 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Owen can't replace Shearer.

Owen needs a partner to play off thats a target man, strong in the air, will get you goals too. Someone like Shearer!
Old 26 April 2006, 10:55 AM
Castrol
Scooby Regular

I see big mouth Sam Allardyce has become involved in the Roeder situation, saying Glenn shouldn't be allowed to take the job until he's got his Pro badge! Bearing in mind this so called Pro badge will simply qualify him to deal with Agents and the Media, is it that big a deal? He's been an EPL manager for 2 years with West Ham - is that experience enough? He has the highest practical coaching badges available; surely that's enough?

As for Allardyce; bitter and twisted I reckon. He's not going to get the England job and (God willing), he won't get the NUFC one either. What a dour, miserable, nasty man.

Oh, and I agree. Owen was bought to play off Shearer - a kind of super-duper Craig Bellamy replacement. We still need an alternative to Al.
Old 26 April 2006, 08:13 PM
Mark_S
Scooby Regular

Ah yes but youre forgetting Brian Robson was allowed by the PL to manage the Baggies for a season without his Pro Licence. I think there is mileage in this story still.
Old 26 April 2006, 09:15 PM
richiewong
Twatful

Originally Posted by Mark_S
Ah yes but youre forgetting Brian Robson was allowed by the PL to manage the Baggies for a season without his Pro Licence. I think there is mileage in this story still.

Aye and look whats happening to the Baggies

ROEDER IN
Old 26 April 2006, 09:37 PM
Castrol
Scooby Regular

No Pro badge means no job as a Premiership manager.
But does it? It hasn't so far, as last Friday he was allowed to continue as our Manager, despite the 12 weeks "grace" period having passed.

My point was and still is, that Roeder has all the practical coaching qualifications. He's only missing the bit that theoretically qualifies Mangers to speak to the Media and deal with Agents. How many current holders of the badge do either well? Ha! Very few... The current England Manager being one name that springs to mind! Pathetic...

I heard on BBC Radio 5 Live that the reason Roeder may get dispensation, is his illness. He had started the Pro badge when he fell ill at West Ham, and seeing as he sailed through the other badges (being one of the brighter guys in Football), it may be allowed, providing he passes the missing badge by the end of the Summer. When there are EPL Managers around who can barely string 2 words together, Glenn will have no probs passing by this supposed deadline.

If he's not allowed, I guess we'll have to offer the job back to some of the lesser Managers out there - O'Neil, Eriksson, Hiddink, Scolari etc.
Old 27 April 2006, 12:27 AM
Mark_S
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by richiewong
Aye and look whats happening to the Baggies

ROEDER IN
I think you misunderstood, Roeder deserves his chance.

B2-0,
I dont see Roeder devaluing the system, he's well respected and the circumstances are extenuating.
Old 27 April 2006, 07:40 AM
Castrol
Scooby Regular

other managers who worked hard for their badge
Bravo2

Are you saying Roeder didn't work hard for his? All that's being asked is for him to be allowed to take control whilst completing the badge he started before he had a life threatening illness - one he was not expected to recover from. It's quite common in many professions to allow people to occupy a position, whilst working toward a required qualification - providing he/she can do the job. I think few have any doubts he can do the job...

Does the Pro badge really matter? Roeder has all the qualifications to deal with coaching, training and managing an EPL club. Are you saying because he doesn't have the Pro badge, that he doesn't know how to deal with the Media or Agents? Did his illness remove his previous knowledge and experience?

If this badge and course are so important, why don't we see evidence of its effectiveness? Fergie refuses to speak to the BBC and has done for years. Wenger, Allardyce, Mourinho, Bruce, Souness, Robson (Bobby), Robson (Bryan), Jol, O'Leary, Redknapp and so on, have all had run ins with the Media. Where's the evidence they have done the course? It's a piece of paper and nothing else! As for Agents; haven't most had hassles with them? Again, the course and badge appear to have taught Managers little. It's pathetic...

ROEDER IN
Old 27 April 2006, 09:49 AM
MJL
Scooby Regular

I think he's done a great job after the disaster that was souness.

As a Hull City supporter, im saying Roeder in!
Old 27 April 2006, 05:18 PM
Castrol
Scooby Regular

If it was a badge that trained and qualified a Coach to deal with tactics, fitness training, the aftermath of an injury etc etc, I'd agree, but dealing with the Media and Agents? As I've said, so many have this so called, Pro Badge, and still ***** it up! Great training course...

Maybe Roeder will be asking himself if FA training courses are worth the time, effort and money - just like a whole host of English Managers and ex Managers are at the moment! FA? Great organisation and top bunch of blokes!

Roeder AND Scolari In!
Old 29 April 2006, 11:28 AM
Castrol
Scooby Regular

Just read that Roeder had actually paid his £7K fee for the Pro badge course, when he was taken ill. Didn't get a refund and the FA say he has to pay again...

He's arguing that a precedent has been set, when they allowed Bryan Robson to take his badge whilst managing West Brom. There's another example of how useful this badge actually is!
Old 29 April 2006, 12:02 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Castrol
Just read that Roeder had actually paid his £7K fee for the Pro badge course, when he was taken ill. Didn't get a refund and the FA say he has to pay again...

He's arguing that a precedent has been set, when they allowed Bryan Robson to take his badge whilst managing West Brom. There's another example of how useful this badge actually is!
The FA a joke?
Old 29 April 2006, 12:37 PM
Castrol
Scooby Regular

lol

Quick Reply: Roeder