Sport General sport discussion

RESPECT for wigan!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 24 January 2006, 10:34 PM
AsianGunner
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RESPECT for wigan!!!!

first time i've ever started a post up in the sport section but i just gotta see if others share my rapidly growing respect for wigan.

now from my name i take it most can guess i'm a huge arsenal fan so watching todays game was tough but i think its brilliant that wigan are goin to the final.

normally i'd be like a normal gunners fan an sulk for a few days and come up with 17 billion reason why we "should" of won tonight, but not this time.

seeing wigan celebrate at the end of the game was really class, the manager/players/ staff and most importantly(cos you never normally see it) the chairman going over to the fans to thank them.

the chairman with thanking the guys in the wheel chair was also a well sweet touch.

i hope they win the cup, who ever they play,( probally united) lol

nick
Old 24 January 2006, 10:41 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Great work ethic and team performance. Kept going and got their reward.

Ole... Ole..... Ole..... Ole....

Goal!

Opps!

what happens should United win their semi with regards to the European place assuming United make the CL?
Old 24 January 2006, 11:09 PM
John Goldick
Scooby Regular

Wigan rock, love the way they play.
Old 25 January 2006, 08:26 AM
pauld37
Scooby Regular

Well said that man
Old 25 January 2006, 08:43 AM
GrahamG
Scooby Regular

well said,

But i am pissed off, SOl campbell... i would not take him to a 5 a side comp let alone the world cup. Waste of space!

rant over...
Old 25 January 2006, 09:29 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GrahamG
well said,

But i am pissed off, SOl campbell... i would not take him to a 5 a side comp let alone the world cup. Waste of space!

rant over...
He made some great challenges to recover for Senderos etc. Terry and Rio are better though.
Old 25 January 2006, 10:25 AM
GrahamG
Scooby Regular

yes your right, there were a few great challenges, but i think him and Senderos jsut don't work. Kolo is Campbell's back up for speed. Not impressed by the pairing.

Going out to Bolton to on sat...
Old 25 January 2006, 10:55 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

LOL.... Big respect to Wigan eh, nobody minds them chucking money around to get to where they are but when Chelsea do it its different yeah???

I agree, well done to the pie eaters. Enjoy it whilst you can. Not many clubs get this privelidge so I hope they savour the memories but it really does my head in when people have a pop at Chelseas way of getting to where they have.
Old 25 January 2006, 01:14 PM
Ted Maul
Scooby Regular

good luck to wigan, they came and had a go. their keeper had a blinder and we should have finished them off, but they stuck at it.

its naive to try to compare the wigan money with chelski.
Old 25 January 2006, 01:23 PM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
Great work ethic and team performance. Kept going and got their reward.

Ole... Ole..... Ole..... Ole....

Goal!

Opps!
That was sooooo funny, the scum thought they had made the final and started showboating with the crowd joining in,
I don't think they counted on Wigan not rolling over

Well done Wigan, the look on Wenger's face was priceless

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
what happens should United win their semi with regards to the European place assuming United make the CL?
As far as I know, If Man United make the final and finish in the top 4 of the league then win or loose Wigan will get the
UEFFA cup place from the League cup.
I also think if they finish in the top six it could mean 7th in the league could get a european spot
So there's still hope for European football for the Goonas next season

Mark
Old 25 January 2006, 01:39 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Ted Maul
good luck to wigan, they came and had a go. their keeper had a blinder and we should have finished them off, but they stuck at it.

its naive to try to compare the wigan money with chelski.
Right Im naive am I, Wigan money is exactly the same as Chelsea money compared with the likes of League 1 (go have a look where Wigan was 2-3 seasons ago) League one didnt have a problem with it and we're all pleased for the pie eaters and their current success but I didnt hear you lot shouting how unfair it was Wigan buying their way to the title of League 1 and Premiership promotion.

Chelsea have a lot of money and they spent it to blow their opponents away (utd and Arsenal)

Wigan have alot of money and they spent it to blow their opponents away
(Oldham and Tranmere, just 2 names off the top of my head but you get the idea, 2 clubs reasonably the same size)

IMO its ignorance to even dismiss what Im saying, another good example of there being life outside the Premiership where football is concerned.
Old 25 January 2006, 02:30 PM
Ted Maul
Scooby Regular

of course league 1 had a problem with it, that's why everyone says wigan bought their way through to the prem. everyone thoguth they would go up becuase they could afford players that none of their rival league 1 teams could. the difference now is that they have reached a level where the money they spend puts them on a par with west ham, or villa, so we in the prem wish them good luck
Old 25 January 2006, 02:39 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

League one didnt bang on about it like every bl00dy prem supporter does about Chelsea but even if they did then so what, it still makes it contradicatory that you can all cheer on a team who appeared from nowhere when clearly they did.

As I say Im not comparing Wigan and Chelseas wealth but Im comparing the situation both clubs are in and the fact that Wigan are getting praise because theyre not running away with the Prem yet Chelsea are getting stick for the exact same thing just on a different scale.

ohh how Ironic that the guy who loves Wigan and football (remember he tried to Buy Man Utd before he thought of Wigan) doesnt even know the away goal rule
Old 25 January 2006, 02:43 PM
pauld37
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
As I say Im not comparing Wigan and Chelseas wealth but Im comparing the situation both clubs are in and the fact that Wigan are getting praise because theyre not running away with the Prem yet Chelsea are getting stick for the exact same thing just on a different scale.

Exactly
Old 25 January 2006, 07:21 PM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by davegtt
Right Im naive am I, Wigan money is exactly the same as Chelsea money compared with the likes of League 1 (go have a look where Wigan was 2-3 seasons ago) League one didnt have a problem with it and we're all pleased for the pie eaters and their current success but I didnt hear you lot shouting how unfair it was Wigan buying their way to the title of League 1 and Premiership promotion.

Chelsea have a lot of money and they spent it to blow their opponents away (utd and Arsenal)

Wigan have alot of money and they spent it to blow their opponents away
(Oldham and Tranmere, just 2 names off the top of my head but you get the idea, 2 clubs reasonably the same size)

IMO its ignorance to even dismiss what Im saying, another good example of there being life outside the Premiership where football is concerned.
IMO The only thing that compares Wigans money to Chelsea's money is the speed they have achieved the respective goals not really the amount spent.

rather than compare Wigan to Chelsea take a look at say Wigan and Wolves,
Wolves a club whos previous owner Jack Hayward pumped in millions (possibly more than Wigan's chairman ) over the years in an attempt to get to the Premier league but failled on so many occassions. Whereas Wigan have got there after fewer attempts. other teams too like Sheff Utd who have hung around to top of the championship for years.

Then take Chelsea and Man United, both have fantastic buying power within world football but whereas Man U can afford £23 million once a season on one player ( Rooney etc.. ) Chelsea can afford it 4 or 5 times over in one season, hence being able to build a better squad quicker than thier rivals.

The one thing both teams ( Wigan & Chelsea ) have in common is very talented managers, maybe that's another reason why Wigan flew through to the premier league ??

There is no denying the money doesn't help excelerate the sucess but surley having the right man to spend it helps too ??

Something we are seeing at Tottenham this season, the money previous managers have thrown away on players, Rebrov £11M, Richards £8.5M, Perry £5M, Thatcher £5M. Get a decent manager in ( Martin Jol ) and spend a lot less but have ( Currently ) our best season in years.

I think more credit should go to the managers not just bitch about clubs "buying" sucess.

Mark

Last edited by Scooby-Mark; 25 January 2006 at 07:23 PM.
Old 25 January 2006, 08:08 PM
GrahamG
Scooby Regular

i agree about the spuds. not spending to much cash and having a great season.

Just hope we beat you to 4th!!
Old 26 January 2006, 10:41 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Mark, Look at my original point, forget Wolves. League1 is full of teams with little or no money yet Wigan were able to pay for players lIke Roberts who 2-3 seasons ago was playing in League1. Not just Roberts, plenty of lads in the team. Wigans money is exactly comparable to Chelseas in terms of club size..... OK 2 seasons on and theyre in the prem and dont look as big money spenders as before but go back 2 seasons and you'll see how they got there. Yet fans of the premiersh!t dont bother to look at that and dont say it was unfair on the teams in League 1 and ruined the football there do they? no they choose to ignore that fact whilst moaning at Chelsea as it directly effects your own club.

As I said, I call it Ignorance and double standards.