Sport General sport discussion

England - Sven - Defoe

Search this Thread

Old 01 September 2005, 05:44 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default England - Sven - Defoe

WTF is going on here then... Its become obvious that Sven wasnt going to give Defoe his chance against Wales when he took him off for Owen against Denmark. Youve really got to feel sorry for Defoe havent you... The second he has a chance to feature for England without the chance of being taken off Sven decides to use his "tactical genius brain" and change the formation to 1 up front - Rooney, just because his over expensive love child cant play

This guys doing my head in now. Im not saying this new formation might not work. in fact it probably will (apart from beckham being a holding midfielder) gives us chance to experiment with another winger, possibly Wright Phillips but what does Defoe have to do to prove hes worth a proper chance. Dont think its even worth bothering with a trip to Germany next year if this numpty is still running the show

Interested to hear others veiws on this.
Old 03 September 2005, 05:58 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

You've got to start wondering what Owen has got over Eriksson, that keeps him his automatic starting position no matter how poor his previous performances. I personally never rated Sven when he was managing club sides, Italian football is boring and negative and he is now, with the backing of the w@nkers at the FA, trying to impose that style on a national side ill equipped for defending one goal leads. The majority of the England squad come from teams used to playing to score more goals than the opposition.

I also believe that the average football supporter will not stand for being bored to the point of unconsciousness for much longer, this apathy is already becoming apparent when you look at the plummeting attendance figures for friendlies

Paul Scholes had the right idea the soon the rest of the senior players grow the ***** to follow his lead the better.

BTW no team has ever won a major championship with 1-0 games, sooner or later the negative team always gets beaten by a team playing football
Old 03 September 2005, 06:07 PM
hectic
Scooby Regular

yup.. to quote 'Fat Les' ...'Vindaloo' ....."were gonna score one more than you".........
Old 03 September 2005, 06:23 PM
cheddar bob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
BTW no team has ever won a major championship with 1-0 games, sooner or later the negative team always gets beaten by a team playing football
Chelsea didn't do too bad last year

Seriously though Mourinho is far too cautious IMO most of the time, when he has the players to steam roller 95% of the competition home & away. it's usually a tight (flame suit on... boring) game for 60-90!mins then they go for it (for about 8 out of every 10 games).

Eriksson won't drop his golden boy Beckham along with any other 'big' name players even when off form (Gerrard is another that doesn't take his Liverpool form or goals to the England team enough although I admit he doesn't have as free or attacking a role). Saying that the odd time Defoe has had a chance he hasn't taken it IMO.

Still can't complain with our competitive/tournament record under Eriksson bar a few shaky qualifying matches though
Old 04 September 2005, 12:29 AM
speedcrazy
Scooby Regular

I agree with chedder that eriksson's record in games that matter is good, personally i don't give a sh$t about the friendly results, they are there to try new tactics and also new and younger players, if they don't work out they don't.

I would prefer to see an english manager running the national side but at the min i don't think there is anyone who is capable of taking england to the trophies but you guys might think different.

If everything goes wrong next summer then questions do need to be asked and the FA need to grow some ***** and sort things out.
Old 05 September 2005, 01:02 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

problem is after next summer it'll be too late, we have a quality squad all of a young ripe age... They need to gel now not in another 4 years where it may or may not work....