Sport General sport discussion

Champions League

Search this Thread

Old 13 April 2005, 06:37 AM
pauld37
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Champions League

Lost, but still through. Always looked in control and always felt we would score away from home.

Who do you fancy from Liverpool and Juve?

Who will be Champions?............. Chelsea I guess. Its great having all this dodgy money
Old 13 April 2005, 08:00 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Well done !!

But WTF was happening in Milan, a week after reminding everyone of Heysel and the tragedy that can unfold from these situations this happens, also coming after the worst weekend in recent history for crowd trouble at Italian league matches, now if this was an English team they'd be calling for our expulsion from Europe when the truth is in reality we are way behind Italy and Holland with regards to crowd trouble, should we start banning Italian clubs from Europe??
Old 13 April 2005, 09:38 AM
richiewong
Twatful

Milan game was a joke, inept referee and an already volitile crowd ready to burst

Agree fully if those scene's were from a British club then we would be banned, slapped wrist I suspect.
If you're Greek, Turkish or the recent racist bollox from the Spanish it's allowed because its all part of the culture

Anyway, well done Chelsea, a couple of injury time goals but nothing to have been worried about.
Let's see what Liverpool can do in the 'firey' atmosphere

Last edited by richiewong; 13 April 2005 at 09:41 AM.
Old 13 April 2005, 01:07 PM
pauld37
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii
now if this was an English team they'd be calling for our expulsion from Europe when the truth is in reality we are way behind Italy and Holland with regards to crowd trouble, should we start banning Italian clubs from Europe??
Your right there,
Jose questioning what happened in the tunnel at the Nou Camp could of resulted in Chelsea being kicked of the CL.

Fours years ago when two Leeds fans were killed in Turkey, Turkish clubs were'nt punished.
The world cup of 98 a french policeman was killed by German fans, still nothing happened, yet the mearest hint of trouble at games involving English clubs, threats of the clubs, even the national side being kicked out of tournaments
Old 13 April 2005, 03:14 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Looks like Liverpool for the final. Just beat Juve then it's an effective bye to the final .
Old 13 April 2005, 04:09 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

PMSL
Old 13 April 2005, 05:31 PM
555 Markus
Scooby Regular

Cool

Flew to Munich on Monday morning, and got back this afternoon. Had a great two days out there, and couldn't believe how friendly the locals were. At the ground there was no hassle, and unbelievably no segregation both inside and outside the ground. Shame we lost, but going through is the main thing.

Also got lucky and chanced upon the team hotel on Monday afternoon and briefly saw some of the players getting on their coach to head off for training. Met them again Tuesday morning for a short stroll outside their hotel. They must have thought we were stalking them .

Oh, and me and my mate also got collared for an interview by Sky which I'm told was on Sky Sports News on Tuesday afternoon . I confidently told their reporter I expected us to score at least once so glad I was right, even if I didn't expect to concede three .

Sampled some fine German beer and had a great sing song in the Hofbrauhaus. Tuesday morning was a bit blurry!!

Hope that Liverpool fans have a similar great and fun visit to Turin.

For anyone interested theres some pics here: http://markus8581.fotopic.net/c500127.html

Mark
Old 13 April 2005, 07:54 PM
pauld37
Scooby Regular

Sounds great Mark, wish I could open your pictures but I'm having trouble opening links at the moment on my pc
Old 14 April 2005, 06:13 AM
pauld37
Scooby Regular

Great pictures Mark, am at work now so can view them
Old 14 April 2005, 09:12 AM
555 Markus
Scooby Regular

Smile

Cheers Paul . Munich was a great trip. Maybe not the most to see in terms of tourist attractions, but a great laugh, with good beer, and very friendly locals.

So another trip to Scouse land beckons! Am hoping to go, but the tricky bit will be getting a match ticket. Last year the scramble for Arsenal tickets was
bad enough, and I only got a ticket then because the ticket office rang round the people that had made most trips into europe that season. I nearly fell off my chair at work when they rang and offered me a ticket! Hopefully they'll reward people's loyalty again this season, although I'll be some way down the pecking order as I've only done the trips to Paris, Porto, and Munich.

Still I might just go up there for the laugh. My reds supporting mate lives just round the corner from Stanley Park with his Everton supporting girlfriend, so I have accomodation sorted. Spoke to her last night and I'm welcome to stay apparently. Mind you, he nearly didn't let me back in the house after the game on New Years day !!

Lets hope we can beat the Gooners and then Fulham so the league is all sown up before the CL semis.

Keep the blue flag flying high!!

Mark
Old 14 April 2005, 09:32 AM
pauld37
Scooby Regular

Sounds a great trip, dont make too many games myself, but was up there this weekend, stayed in the hotel, stadium tour ect. they played crap though . Should still be ok but Arsenal wont give in as wont Fulham, and I'm a bit worried about the Bolton game too. Fingers crossed

UP THE CHELSEA!!!!
Old 14 April 2005, 11:31 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by pauld37
Sounds a great trip, dont make too many games myself, but was up there this weekend, stayed in the hotel, stadium tour ect. they played crap though . Should still be ok but Arsenal wont give in as wont Fulham, and I'm a bit worried about the Bolton game too. Fingers crossed

UP THE CHELSEA!!!!
Told you that there was still tough games left

Mind you Man Utd will give you 3 points for sure
Old 14 April 2005, 11:45 AM
555 Markus
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by pauld37

UP THE CHELSEA!!!!
Oh, sorry to hear that you picked the Birmingham game to come to. It was dire wasn't it. . Thought Joe Cole did well, and if he'd scored instead of hitting the outside of the post in the first half it could have been very different. Still, we should have learnt from previous occasions that resting key players doesn't always work.

I've done 40 of our 51 games this season so far. Been going since 1972 so its not a new thing. In my late teens I even did a couple of seasons going to every game (although of course we weren't in Europe those days!).

Bolton is the only remaining game I haven't got a ticket for. Am getting worried we might win the title there and I won't be there . Having said that I won't believe we'll actually win the title until its mathematically impossible for anyone to catch us

Mark