Sharapova

Search this Thread

Old 03 July 2004, 06:08 PM
weapon69
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Sharapova

Wow, i'm really pleased she won wimbledon

I didn't see the match, but was Serena just not playing well or has she met her match?
Old 03 July 2004, 06:41 PM
Audi-Boy
BANNED

Hmm, some people have all the luck with a good future .. ..

She did play well though.
Old 05 July 2004, 02:57 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

Serena's problem was "she" was sufferring with a sore todger...

Old 05 July 2004, 04:05 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

LOL @ Serina getting the ball on the end of her noz!!
Old 06 July 2004, 04:28 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
LOL @ Serina getting the ball on the end of her noz!!
Would have been even funnier if the ball had hit her in the knackers...
Old 06 July 2004, 06:51 PM
weapon69
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by **************
This threrad is no good without pics!!!
Your a Serena fan?!

Get some Andy Roddick pics up!!
Old 06 July 2004, 10:50 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool Feast your mince pies

This threrad is no good without pics!!!
A veritable festival of tennis :

http://www.mariaworld.net/photos.htm
Old 07 July 2004, 01:07 AM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

She wasn't palying that well...she's been out for her year and her sister got murdered give the girl a break. Sharapova did play good but I feel that many of the commentators have something against Serena Williams maybe because she is not from the 'old school' and maybe because she's not 'white'. But hey that's just my opinion. The Williams sisters will be back next year to kick everyones ***. Ha ha to all those stuck up, snooty, upper class toffs that have a problem with that.
Old 07 July 2004, 09:17 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Aaquil
She wasn't palying that well...she's been out for her year and her sister got murdered give the girl a break. Sharapova did play good but I feel that many of the commentators have something against Serena Williams maybe because she is not from the 'old school' and maybe because she's not 'white'. But hey that's just my opinion. The Williams sisters will be back next year to kick everyones ***. Ha ha to all those stuck up, snooty, upper class toffs that have a problem with that.

I think it's more to do with somebody breaking the dominance of the Williams sisters on the women game therefore making more interesting...... but if you want to walk around with that chip on your shoulder believe what you like!
Old 07 July 2004, 07:33 PM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

Jealousy will get you nowhere mate...and what's wrong if they do well and dominate if you are good at something you deserve to dominate it. I don't have a chip on my shoulder at all...actually you don't know me from Adam so don't judge someone you don't even know.
Old 07 July 2004, 07:44 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

This guy on 5 live was saying all white people wanted the williams sisters to lose because she is black.

Even if we didn't think it, we subconsiously did? WTF
Old 07 July 2004, 08:14 PM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

By the way I'm not Black...I just think that some of the commentators (Ex-tennis Wimbledon champions etc.) have this elitism and they don't like the fact that the Williams sisters have done so well. I say good for them especially as the background they came from.

Look at the attitude of Venus Williams when she went out of Wimbledon even though she was not given that point in the tie break. She accepted that the opponent would have probably beaten her anyway and it was just one of those things. Its just my opinion anyway...
Old 07 July 2004, 10:13 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Jealousy will get you nowhere mate...and what's wrong if they do well and dominate if you are good at something you deserve to dominate it. I don't have a chip on my shoulder at all...actually you don't know me from Adam so don't judge someone you don't even know.
Jealous of what? Any sport where one team or person constantly wins often becomes boring eg F1
Old 07 July 2004, 10:44 PM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

I was messing and I know exactly what you mean about the same person winning all the time but if that was me I would want to win as much as possible.
Old 07 July 2004, 10:58 PM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

I mean I was joking when I said 'Jealousy will get you nowhere' but I certainly do not have a chip on my shoulder. I just think that anyone who has a problem with the Williams due to their race or background has a chip on their like Justine Henin Arden (Totally wrong spelling - You know the French Open bad sport).
Old 08 July 2004, 09:19 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

I mean I was joking when I said 'Jealousy will get you nowhere' but I certainly do not have a chip on my shoulder. I just think that anyone who has a problem with the Williams due to their race or background has a chip on their like Justine Henin Arden (Totally wrong spelling - You know the French Open bad sport).
Sharapova has had an equaly hard upbringing if not more so than the Williams sisters. Race or background means nothing to me. The person still has to have the skill, dedication and ability to be the best.

Maybe you should conceed that Sharapove was the better player in the championship and wish Williams all the best for next year and leave it at that. Race is only an issue if people try to make it one
Old 08 July 2004, 11:09 AM
weapon69
Scooby Regular

The fact is it was good for tennis to see a feminate woman win (ie very attractive and nice figure) instead of a woman built like a bloke and the physical advantages that come with that - ie the williams sisters. Nothing to do with colour, its about the fact their size and bulk gives them a distinct advantage over other women and its good to see them get beaten for once.
Err Maria Sharapova is 6ft tall and very muscular....difference is she's skinnier than Serena! So b0llocks to built like a bloke, they all are! (except for Kournikova and shes sh!te)
Old 08 July 2004, 06:35 PM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

Well written Weapon69...If the Williams are built like blokes you must know some really feeble looking men!!! If they decide to improve their game by making themselves stronger that's up to them. Besides the women Serena beat in the semis wasn't exactly feminine by your standards nor was 'Gabriella Sabitini'.

As for Sharapova how do you know for certain she had a harder or just as hard upbringing as the Williams sisters...it seems like assumptions to me. Yes she is good and she is 17 years old. Good for her that she won...but she did not beat Serena at her best and if she was at her best it could well have been a completely different story.

Any sports person weather it is an olympic swimmer, runner or martial artist will always use any means to get the advantage over their opponents and making yourself physically stronger is one of the best ways. Again, if Serena is like a bloke then you must know some skinny, feeble looking blokes. Respecting human beings in any walk of life because they look nice physically I believe is very shallow. Does that mean we like competitors for the way they look rather than the way they perform...very shallow.
Old 08 July 2004, 06:40 PM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

Race is a major issue when the racists make it an issue...and lets face it people due not like those sister because they are not white and middle class. 'Sti wanna Subary' you may not be a racist or have anything against them but I didn't write that either...just read my previous replies. Sharapova was better on the day...no doubt and she deserved to win. I am just saying she did not beat an 'On form' Serena.
Old 08 July 2004, 06:49 PM
weapon69
Scooby Regular

I am just saying she did not beat an 'On form' Serena.
Have to agree, i saw the match replay after posting this thread and although Sharapova played very well, I think Serena's 8months 'off' definately took the edge off her game.
Old 09 July 2004, 01:17 AM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

Again all I have to say is that you don't know me from Adam and making sweeping generalisations about people is a bit sad. In fact if the same was applied to white, asian, middle eastern tennis player(s) I would mention the same thing about their current form or physical ability. You should not judge people on the basis of a few statements. As I now stand corrected on the issue of appearance as you have clarified. If you don't agree with me then that is fine but do not judge me because you know NOTHING about me. I have had my say regards this whole issue and I think we may well both be getting a bit petty so lets just leave it and agree to disagree.