Sport General sport discussion

Report from the Lisbon suburbs

Search this Thread

Old 12 June 2004, 10:40 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking Report from the Lisbon suburbs

I'd just like to say that, after flags everywhere, car horns, and synchronised TV commentary at the start of the grand opening of Euro 2004...

....it's remarkably quiet round here at present
Old 12 June 2004, 10:49 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
I'd just like to say that, after flags everywhere, car horns, and synchronised TV commentary at the start of the grand opening of Euro 2004...

....it's remarkably quiet round here at present
Let's hope it stays that way. Having never been there, I must say it looks a lovely place on camera.

UB
Old 12 June 2004, 10:54 PM
ScoobyDont
Scooby Regular

and synchronised TV commentary
I've heard that David Beckham is going to do the announcements at matches. Apparently he comes over the PA very well.
Old 14 June 2004, 11:01 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Went into central Lisbon again last night. Didn't get to see any of the match, but when we started seeing England supporters in the streets, we had a pretty good idea of the result. Finally got the result from Sky News - not watching it, but talking to a camera crew who were interviewing some fans . The guy thought we were aliens, couldn't believe we had no idea of what had happened. Mind you, when my wife says she's from Mongolia, anything is forgivable

A number of camera crews walking around, desperately trying to find some fights to film. We didn't see any (but left at 11pm). They were obviously on orders from above to hang around until 2am just in case there was any violence.

Easily the funniest thing was when the crew from the German channel ZDF set up to film their report, and an over-enthusiastic Portuguese black guy decided it was his job to disrupt it by leaping in, waving arms and shouting "POR - TUGAL!" as often as he could. I mean, two or three or four times is a laugh, but this guy decided it would be his game for as long as they wanted to play. You had the immaculate and traditionally serious German grey-haired anchor, brown check suit, protected by Dolph Lungren the sound technician, versus this determined loony... I'm not sure if they ever managed to film, if they did it was less than twenty seconds. Bloody funny considering that everyone wanted the shots of the English trashing the place.

Am now in the office with many French and Portuguese colleagues. The French, who were at the match, remarked on the somewhat limited sociodemographic of the English fans. I.e. White, age 16-35, fat, pasty, and shaven-headed. I asked if their knuckles dragged on the ground when they walked, but apparently not.
Old 14 June 2004, 11:11 AM
Jye
Scooby Regular

News
Sport News Article

England aftermath

Jun 14 2004

England face an uphill climb to reach the quarter-finals of Euro 2004 after throwing away a 1-0 lead by conceding two goals in injury time to France.

Up to 30,000 England fans in Lisbon's Estadia da Luz and millions back home crowded around televisions in homes and pubs were stunned into silence by French captain Zinedine Zidane's double strike.

A total of 83 arrests were made across the country as angry fans went on the rampage after England's dramatic Euro 2004 loss to France.

Trouble erupted in Birmingham when twelve people were arrested after more than 200 people ran amok through the streets of the city centre after last night's match.

Police were forced to close parts of Broad Street for 45 minutes as the disturbances broke out.

A West Midlands Police spokesman said 40 police officers attended the scene at the height of the trouble which began at 9.50pm last night.

One man was taken to hospital with minor injuries.

The violence involved fans who had been watching the match on a big screen in the city's Centenary Square.
Least they kept it cool in Lisbon Brendan
Old 14 June 2004, 11:20 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Well it's fair enough - your team gets beaten so you go out, get ****faced and then torch a few cars, punch a few innocent people, loot a few shops.

After all, Johnny Herbert fans went on the rampage in Le Mans when their man was beaten in the 24 hours race yesterday and Jenson Button fans went on the offensive in Canada after Schuey beat him in yesterday's GP didn't they?

So why shouldn't a few footy fans take out their frustration in a tried and trusted manner?

tiggers.
Old 14 June 2004, 11:20 AM
RichWalk
Scooby Regular

Brum does England proud yet again.......
Old 14 June 2004, 11:41 AM
Faire D'Income
Scooby Regular

It wasn't just Brum. The same thing happened in Croydon, Hertfordshire and Wakefield.

Those three sure do get around.

Old 14 June 2004, 11:43 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Think Boston, Lincs had a bit of "bover" as well
Old 14 June 2004, 11:48 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Faire D'Income
Those three sure do get around.

Old 15 June 2004, 10:12 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Now the tournament has really started for England - see here. I knew it wouldn't last
Old 15 June 2004, 10:18 AM
Faire D'Income
Scooby Regular

Impossible. It says there were over 800 people involved in the rioting but we all know there are only 3 genuine trouble makers in football.

Unless they're replicants?
Old 15 June 2004, 10:21 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

When I went to Albufeira it was an expat 18-30 hole that needed an H-bomb to clear the Brits out. It was like Hastings with more sunshine.

Spoke to a girl today, she said her boyfriend had watched the ZDF report (described above), which was LIVE. He said the Portugal fan completely wrecked it as he managed to shout straight into the microphone a number of times, and it was impossible for the viewers to understand what the presenter was saying.
Old 15 June 2004, 10:22 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Faire D'Income
Impossible. It says there were over 800 people involved in the rioting but we all know there are only 3 genuine trouble makers in football.

Unless they're replicants?
No it's all done with mirrors
Old 15 June 2004, 12:41 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Brum does England proud yet again
Thank **** they didn't burn down Legs11. its my only entertainment when i am over in B'ham. if they had have gone in there that would have quietened a few of them. nothing like a big blurt shoved in your face to take your breath away

cheers

sinky