Sport General sport discussion

Snowboards - Ride Decade

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2004, 10:12 PM
J S W
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Just wondering if any users have this board or any knowledge about it or any recommendations for similar boards?

Just about to spend a fair bit in preparation for boarding this year.

Also has anyone got/used flow bindings?

Thanks

James
Old 13 January 2004, 10:20 AM
Boarder1
Scooby Regular

I do not know much about the Ride boards, though I know that some of their stuff if top notch.

I had Flow bindings and ran them for just over a season, I got p155ed of with them, because they just did not feel as snug as regular bindings.

No matter what I did to try and sort them out, I just binned them and went back to regular bindings. (Currently running top of the line Santa Cruz jobbies, very nice!)

If you want to email me, I am able to get a very good deal on anything Santa Cruz.

Mods, I am not a shop and do not do this for a living, just trying to help a fellow boarder get a good deal.

My Mail: plyworld@ntlworld.com

Mark
Old 13 January 2004, 11:57 AM
J S W
Scooby Regular

Mark, thanks for that mate. I am flat out at work at the moment but I will drop you an email later on today.

James
Old 14 January 2004, 11:53 AM
icantthinkofone
Scooby Regular

Haven't ridden a decade, just went throught the whole thing, and finished up buying a burton custom (slightly higher end), bindings and boots.

At the price point of the decade I'd consider the rome solution.. again, not ridden but heard good things.

Firm vote for standard bindings.. they're not that much effort!

- Mark.
Old 14 January 2004, 02:13 PM
J S W
Scooby Regular

icanthinkofone, where did you buy the custom and how much did you pay?

I have seen some good deals on this board, did you compare this board with the decade? what made you go for the custom?

Any info would be cool, thanks.

James
Old 14 January 2004, 03:15 PM
jimr
Scooby Regular

try

www.boardreviews.com

and then select 'browse through reviews'

Old 14 January 2004, 04:41 PM
icantthinkofone
Scooby Regular

OK, firstly a bit of background... I've done a couple of weeks of boarding, took to it *really* well. learned at a snowdome, by the end of my 2 weeks I'd come down blacks with a few tumbles / carefully, reds quite quick etc. Plenty of confidence.

So, I wanted a board that would grow with me and have some headroom, and would grow into, but not be so difficult I couldn't cope, or ride it with a hangover

Took a lot of advice and came down to a decision between the custom, and a k2 ambush. Rode both, took the custom as a more all-round choice / safe choice.

Basically, the custom seems to be *the* classic all-purpose, swiss army knife board. you prehaps pay a premium for it being a burton, but it's pretty good, and light. (noticable when hanging off your foot on the chair ). Also, I like the graphics (or lack of!) Just come back from a 5 day weekend, and I'm not regretting my decision. I think I'd have been ok to push to the abmush though.

From various reviews, talking to every board shop in the area etc., I got the following:

Custom - good, all purpose, classic choice. nice bits like a sintered base, and it's light.

Decade - good board, somewhat softer (less challenging) than the custom

Rome solution - very much better than it's price point suggests.

Option redline - possibly the best all round board at a good price. Couldn't ride one, and had a choice (IIRC) of a 158 (bit short, or 163 (bit long / stiff for me)

K2's do a mid-flex thing where it has little camber, soft in the middle and stiff in the ends. Don't know about the hype, but the ambush is about their stiffest board, and didn't seem too scary. felt little more challenging than the custom. very fast / stable, eventually decided to skip it 'cos 1) riding it at a snowdome doesn't give you the edge bite real snow does, and 2) it's a dedicated freeride board. I have inclinations to freeride, but I still like to fool around and fly!

Nitro boards are allegedly hyperactive - lots of camber.

Choose the board based on your weight, not the length - length is a good guideline if you're an 'avarage' shape.. it's weight that matters. If you're at the top end of the weight range for a board it'll feel softer and vice versa..

If you like to fool around I'd go shorter, if you like powder, carving, go longer. I'm 78kg, and got a 162.. seems about right for me, despite being above my nose! Not as floaty as I'd imagined, but with a bit of speed on it's nice.

All that said, I think there's relatively little between the various boards. Most important thing you can do is get boots that fit well. Thought I had until I hit the slopes and they didn't. Fortunately a magic man in the ski shop in wengen just stuck some little bits of foam onto the outside of the liners, and presto.. 11Sfr, and it made a *huge* difference to my ride! Probably more than dropping 650 quid on the rest of the setup...

For what it's worth I paid the following:

Burton Custom 162 : 379
32 TM-Two boots : 189
Burton Mission Bindings : 135

But I got a 10% discount through a friend who works in the shop I got it from... I'd have gone for the prospect boot, but they didn't have any in, and with the discount it wasn't that much more to go for the tm-two.
Old 14 January 2004, 04:46 PM
icantthinkofone
Scooby Regular

should add that those prices are pre-discount...
Old 14 January 2004, 05:05 PM
J S W
Scooby Regular

jesus mate that is fantastic info, unfortunately work is crazy at the moment so I will have to do some more research at home tonight and will let you know how I got on.

Thanks

James
Old 14 January 2004, 05:38 PM
icantthinkofone
Scooby Regular

No worries, feel free to ask any Q's.. your mileage may vary of course, but I did quite a bit of research and thinking before coughing up that much money
Old 15 January 2004, 03:52 PM
New To Scoob
Scooby Regular

Rome was set up by a group of guys that used to work for Burton hence the fact that they are very similar abiet for a smaller price.

John.