Notices
Sport General sport discussion

Supporting a lower division team. Could YOU do it?

Search this Thread

Old 28 December 2003, 03:49 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

Here's what happens if you support a small 3rd division club:

Beginning of season/preseason:
"The directors have loads of ambition this year. They will fund us out of division 3".:

Mid-season:
"We need a player. There is no money. The directors never promised any MORE money.":confused"

6 weeks later:
"Mick Snurge has been watched by other clubs agin. He's had a good season despite our mid-table position. The directors feel it would be unfair to stand in the lad's way, so he might be sold. Any money from the sale will be used for team strengthening"

2 weeks later:
"Mick snurge sold ! To a team in the same division or one in the division we wish we could get into.
Sold for not much, but money WILL be used to strengthen the team DURING THE CLOSED SEASON".

Closed season:
"Because of our low position last season, and the low crowds that went with it, especially after the sale of Mick Snurge, the club lost money faster than they expected to, so there is now no money for team strengthening.":[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Preseason:

"The directors have ambition. They will..................."

Anyone see the pattern?

And this goes on year after fekkin year!!!!

Alcazar:
Old 28 December 2003, 04:00 PM
buff
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just say you support man utd like everyone else
Old 28 December 2003, 07:34 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

the way spurs are playing at the moment, i soon will be.

(in answer to the first post, not the second one)
Old 28 December 2003, 07:59 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

I support but don't get chance to watch Blackburn very often.
Any Toon fans around? Our only major signing (Barry Ferguson) is now out for the season with a broken knee

I also regularly watch Wimbledon in Milton Keynes as I obviously like to suffer. Still in administration with 3 or 4 players who are Premiership material - which is probably go when the window opens... Jobi McAnuff for one
Old 30 December 2003, 01:32 PM
CLANDER
Scooby Regular

We'll have no talk of Franchise on this website please!!!

from an AFC Wimbledon fan
Old 30 December 2003, 02:41 PM
Huge
Scooby Regular

Pretty similar story for some of those supporting clubs in the 2nd & 1st divisions.

Bottom line is that it's very difficult to be consistently successful now unless you have plenty of cash. Even a large fan base won't necessarily help.

At QPR we've had to resort to getting fans to raise money - despite relative success on the pitch no investors have yet been found to stump up sufficient cash to pay our immediate debts.

Other clubs in dire straights recently - Port Vale, Barnsley, York....and of course Leeds. & there'll be more as the gulf between haves & have nots widens.

I'm resigned to the fact that QPR will never be up there with the top Premiership clubs, but I'm not going to change my allegiances just so that I can say 'my team's won this'.

How many of the so-called supporters of the big clubs are regulars at matches?? Many don't even go to home games let alone away games - pathetic. In my book you aren't real supporters. Anyone can buy a kit or gob off about supporting whoever - actually being there is what counts.

Hugh
Old 31 December 2003, 01:07 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

i go to home games (white hart lane), rarely to away games though. going to the game is a real buzz for me. I once went to a Leyton Orient game and it just isn't the same as going to a stadium with 30k plus fans in it. Also go and watch stevenage boro ocassionally - not a bad crowd down there but it's still more about having a drink when i go down there, as i don't really follow their football that closely.
Old 04 January 2004, 09:31 PM
DAR.WIL
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Spot on Hugh....I've watched Cardiff city home and away for the best part of 20 years,most of which was at the lower end of the football league...but this is my team...through thick and thin .......and always will be

Old 05 January 2004, 10:23 PM
si_kosta
Scooby Regular

Talking

Im a die hard Carlisle United fan, so if u want lower league football, im here!!!

Ive seen it all, Winning the league, Relegation, Auto Windscreens Winners, Big fat chairmen who reckon theyve seen Aliens, and tried to buy out Man United, On loan goalkeepers called Jimmy Glass who score in the 94th minute, on the last day of the season, to keep us in the league!!

Were bottom of Div 3 (as per usual) but im sure we'll do the great escape, for about the 6th year running!!
Old 06 January 2004, 12:56 PM
Huge
Scooby Regular

Talking

Si

That's what I call dedication.

Still you've put quite a nice run together over the last 4 or so games - 3 wins & a draw ?

Might be escaping the trap door for yet another season!

Hugh
Old 06 January 2004, 01:03 PM
si_kosta
Scooby Regular

Yep 3 wins and a draw... the usual story i reckon this year!! we've pulled it back to 6 points, and a game in had from about 14 points!!

Old 07 January 2004, 06:08 PM
Andy Porter
Scooby Regular

Palace fan, need I say more ??
Old 07 January 2004, 07:36 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up

Si: that bit about the on-loan goaly. I'd forgotten that!:

If you wrote it as a Boy's Own story, you'd get slated for writing unbelievable stuff:

Hope you stay up m8.
Alcazar
BTW: Fave memory of Carlisle: The season they went up from Div 3 as champions, we had them 2-0 down at Glanny with 10 minutes to go. Then my kid said: "we can't lose now can we dad?":

We lost 3-2!!!!
A
Old 07 January 2004, 07:43 PM
si_kosta
Scooby Regular

Yep i remember Scunny well! Especially the 3-2 win!!

Ive been to Scunny so many times... i remeber we had about 3 or 4 Auto Windscreen Sheild ties postponed on consecutive weeks!! And i was at least on the M18 on everyone when we heard they were called off!!! On the first one, we even turned up, saw our Flashy team coach at ferrybridge services, and thought it must still be on... but on arrival at Scunny, it was dark, cold, and none of us knew what the hell was going on!!
Old 07 January 2004, 09:17 PM
wakeboardar
Scooby Regular

wrexham...wrexham...wrexham