Notices
Sport General sport discussion

Dirty Arsenal

Search this Thread

Old 21 September 2003, 06:31 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Nowt to say really, but what happend to Ruud after the whistle was bang out of order.
Old 21 September 2003, 06:42 PM
Gav
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

i agree brun, totally unacceptable[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] i fcukin hate martin keown, he's a dirty get.

nistelroy jumped a bit high and should have got a booking(which he did) but there is no excuse for what viera did. you cant kick out at a player, intending to hit him or not. you can argue till your blue in the face, nistelroy was not in the wrong and did not deserve what happened to him after..

same old arsenal, always cheating.....

[Edited by scoobygav555 - 9/21/2003 6:42:45 PM]
Old 21 September 2003, 06:59 PM
Davestamf
Scooby Regular

What a lousy excuse for a game. In 90 minutes not one shot on target, including the penalty! Overpaid ponces slapping each other with wet fish, they should receive earnings commensurate with their performance. I'd suggest about £1.50 to be shared amongst the two so-called teams.
Old 21 September 2003, 07:21 PM
Disco
Scooby Regular

Angry

Was gonna start a thread about this too. As a nuetral I was really dissapointed in the way the Arsenal players reated at the end.

No doubt that Nistelroy should be booked or Viera sent off. But I saw absolutely no reason for the after whistle attack on Ruud by what I counted as maybe 6 Arsenal players, Keown's jump and arm crash, and pushing by Cole , Parlour etc,etc It was truly appalling, not violent or anything but just appalling in its motive and pettyness.

Made me embarrased that my team are part of the Premiership, but at least Newcastle are doing a fairly good job of not having to be associated in the same division as them for next year!
Old 21 September 2003, 07:31 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Poor poor match considering the talent on the pitch. I thought Cole was gonna be getting the red after Ronaldos trickery in the 1st half.

Keanes was the first bad tackle but late rather than malicious.

Ruud went for a ball and landed on Viera. Viera kicked out and no matter who you support, that is a bookable offence as the intent was there. Ruud didnt fall over, he didnt act hurt - he jumped back like most people would in the same situation. As a Utd fan I agree Ruud can roll with the best of them when it comes to diving (although Pires vs Pompeii was somthing special). Viera then just got up and charged at a group of utd players.

The penalty Im not 100% on - Keown was leaning but its hard to tell how much. Ruud should not have taken the penalty. You knew as soon as he placed the ball 3-4 times that he would miss.

The reaction at the end was a disgrace - not one player but 3-4 from Arsenal all seeking Ruud out personally and hitting or pushing him.

IMHO the FA have to take action on this whole issue. If someone is judged to have dived then they get awarded a yellow card after the game. They will soon add up if they keep offending and a ban will loom.

As for the lack of discipline, well that again is FA responsibility as Wenger has already said he didnt see much wrong. I think Keown at least should get a ban.

Simon.
Old 21 September 2003, 08:01 PM
alanjack
Scooby Regular

Red face

I was at the game in which 21 players were involved in a brawl and that resulted in points being deducted from both teams and to my mind Arsenal players' reaction to Mr v.Nitslerooy deserves them to be deducted points (6 points) and be fined heavilly. The sheer anger on their faces shows a true and obvious hatred for Mr v.Nistlerooy. The show of anger was evident on the penalty miss (which Ruud never won) and again especially at the end by Lauren who was the one who pushed Ruud. I suppose they feel Ruud cheated and got Viera sent off, but the facts are this Viera lashed out= Red Card and Keown pulled Forlans shirt= penalty.

Mr Wengers statement that Ruud should go for "causing the reaction" is pure bull**** and he should shut his floppy gob if he is going to come out with such bollocks. He should have stated the old "couldn't see it from here" but he actually said you get a really good view here at Old Trafford.

I was pleased to see Mr v.Nistlerooy's reaction to the whole affair, he was superb 10 out of 10.

That penalty should have been retaken, it would have been if the officials were a more consistent. (Leeds v Birmingham) also instant replays aka Super League must be used now, look at Middlesbrough v Everton although Boro still won it could have been 1-1.
Old 21 September 2003, 08:42 PM
Davestamf
Scooby Regular

Just try to ensure that a game of football never breaks out.
Old 21 September 2003, 08:44 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

The number of tackles that Utd players made that went through Arsenal players and didn't get penalised for let alone booked was incredible but have come to expect this now. Yet an Arsenal player makes the slightest of late tackles and its an instant yellow. MMMMMM thats so treating the two teams equally, NOT. I wonder why the Arsenal players get so riled?
Bravo - what a load of bullocks. I seem to remember Keane, Ronaldo and Fortune being booked. the reaction at the end by Keown, parlour and Cole to name 3 deserves points deduction.
Old 21 September 2003, 09:13 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Bravo - how can you make that statement when Roy Keane was the first player to get booked and we had 4 yellow cards whilst arsenal also had 4 (including 2 for Viera)? Are your gooner tinted glasses that bad????

Did we get riled when Arsenal went through our players, did we go around hitting people after our players got booked? NO!

If you can argue that Viera didnt deserve to go then you are blind. Ruud should have got a yellow for the collision.

Ruud didnt even get the penalty yet all your players hounded after him and hit him after the whistle. Thats what makes your teams display that more unprofessional.

I have admitted that Van Nistelrooy goes down very easily. Jeffers is just as bad and Pires last week is one of the worst I have seen ever. However you dont see other teams players reacting to dives like your lot did today.

You dont have one of the worst discipline records for nothing so I think you need to stop blaming everyone else and look a little closer to home.

Hopefully Keown and co get whats coming to them. For someone who is 37 he doesnt half act like a kid.

Simon.
Old 21 September 2003, 10:11 PM
alanjack
Scooby Regular

Just ignore this fool, he is on a wind up. There is always one who will try and wind everyone.

Just chill

Old 21 September 2003, 10:23 PM
alanjack
Scooby Regular

the FA being our biggest challenge of every season.
Don't Arsenal Football Club and it's players bring that upon themselves? Indeed they do.

Arsenal need to stop feeling sorry for themselves, they lost the Championship, that is history, now they should concentrate on the putting on the type of performance that saw them win at Man City and Middlesborough and last year at Leeds United in which they were awesome. They simply don't have to resort to the embarassing display towards the end of todays game when they thought someone (the FA?) was out out to get them, if that were so, why take ALL of their frustraions out on one man? Ruud?
Old 21 September 2003, 10:42 PM
ash1
Scooby Regular

Smile

High time RVN got what he deserved, too many times he's got away with it. Not much of a game, but last 10 mins and aggro made up for it.
Old 21 September 2003, 10:45 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Listening to Man United fans banging on about points being deducted for reactions to decisions is almost making me pish myself. If United were to be deducted points each time they man handle match officials they'd be lucky to be playing in the conference !

There was a lot at stake today and - rightly or wrongly - the Arsenal players thought that the honorable Mr Van Nistlerooy got the dirty Mr Viera sent off.

Maybe United should start to play in Newcastle colours

Maybe the ****'s problem is they don't have that British spirit that Michelle Silvestre has !
Old 21 September 2003, 11:01 PM
Gav
Scooby Regular

Angry

bravo, you cant face it when you think you have the best team in the premiership when you DON'T. because of that you start with the "ref's are biased to man u" "everybody sticks up for man u". it's all a load of sh!te!!!

if you would read our comments then you would notice that we said ruud should have been booked, and we know he's no angel. he dives with the best of them at times, but that's the way footy is going and it is toss.

but the way keown(to$$er), parlor, cole, lauren acted towards Ruud is totally unacceptable. the players are role models to millions of young lads. they see them acting in that manner, they'll go out and copy them. they should take a look at what Ruud did, shut up and just turn your back...

gav..
Old 21 September 2003, 11:13 PM
ash1
Scooby Regular

role models ? what about diving around, hardly honourable.
Old 21 September 2003, 11:16 PM
Jonto
Scooby Regular

Well, it;s about time man u had some hard luck............viera shouldn't have been sent off, instead Ruud should have been booked or sent off for kicking out at him. I am a geordie and support the toon, but boy did i laugh when he missed the penaulty !
Old 21 September 2003, 11:23 PM
Gav
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

ash, thats what i'm saying. it's toss and sets a very bad example for the young lads who idolise them.

something needs to be done about it.

jonto, viera shouldn't have been sent off and ruud should were you watching the same game as everyone else??? when did Ruud kick out at him??? the rules state that you can't kick out to a player, if he hadn't already been booked then he would have only got a yellow card for it and not an immediate sending off...
Old 21 September 2003, 11:39 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I only started this thread to out line how disgusted i was at the display by some of the Arsenal players when the whistle had gone for full time. I do not despute that Utd get away with some things at all.
If Utd's players had done the same after the whistle to an Arsenal player, i dare say i'd be posting on here about how disgusted i was at Utd.
There needs to be something done about Arsenals terrible dicipline record. I'm all for a bit of rough and tumble, but it needs to happen within the 90 minutes - not before and not after
Old 21 September 2003, 11:50 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Ash you do suprise. A thread on arsenal and you manage to not comment about arsenal once but direct your entire attention towards utd. Somehow I dont think youd be reacting the same if it was you playing Arsenal today.

Simon.
Old 22 September 2003, 06:52 AM
Davestamf
Scooby Regular

Brun

That's it, pretty much. All I'd add is that for anyone impartial, it lacked any decent football. Neither goalkeeper had to make a save during the entire game (and that includes a penalty) because most players were intent on provocation. I just wish they could both have lost.
Old 22 September 2003, 09:17 AM
ash1
Scooby Regular

Its high time something was said to RVN, I remember Heskey when he came to the Pool, he dived far too much, GH has obviously told him to cut that out of his game and to be fair he has done.

Unfortunately, RVN hasn't and he has gained himself a reputation as a cheating diving git, thats from his own fellow professionals.

Well done to the Gooners, they came with a plan and after a bad week, showed their mental strength.

And the penalty was inconclusive, even from replays. Still justice prevailed in the end.
Old 22 September 2003, 09:51 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

ash - no one is saying the Ruud doesnt dive and that he does need sorting out, along with anyone else who makes a habit of diving/over-reacting.

"Arsenal showed their mental strength" How on earth can you sit there and say that after the way they reacted at the end of the match. No doubt if that was utd then you would be harping on about it for years to come.

Most people on here can provide an unbiased view on most stuff even when it involves their own team, but you seem totally unable to when it involves man utd.

Simon.
Old 22 September 2003, 12:26 PM
ash1
Scooby Regular

What I meant was in footballing terms they were mentally stonger, alot was mentioned of Gooners defeat midweek and defensive frailty.

What happened at the end was pretty tame stuff, people go on on this forum about it being bad example for kids. Well there's been lot worse - that massive punch up a few years ago was a good example, and this weekend has seen some pretty bad hooliganism at the Blades/Cardiff match.
Old 22 September 2003, 01:56 PM
Ted Maul
Scooby Regular

I hope they deduct points from us...so we can sing 'shove your 3 points up your ar*e' just like we did 13 years ago - and still went on to win the league.
Old 22 September 2003, 04:02 PM
cryptwalk
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

What happened at the end was pretty tame stuff
No it wassent, what you didnt see is it kicking off once in the tunnel behind closed doors.

I do some work for a large security firm in Manchester, they had staff at the ground. The MD was telling me today that it went off proper and resulted in Ryan Giggs getting knocked on concius. Police and more security officers were called in to break it all up.

I think it was discracfull and has no place in football.
Old 22 September 2003, 04:07 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Cool

If SAF wants to knock out Ryan Giggs why should the Arsenal players stop him

Old 22 September 2003, 04:15 PM
Mark_TM
Scooby Regular

FA to review 'fracas' as a matter of urgency.
Old 22 September 2003, 04:18 PM
ash1
Scooby Regular

Jasey - nice one, nice to have a bit of humour to these posts.

What happens behind closed doors is upto the referee to report I guess. I was only commenting on what I saw on the pitch, bit of handbags.

Suprised Giggs got involved, doesn't come across as a fighter, assuming Keane not up for a fight due to dodgy hip ? and Giggs had to step in as vice captain.

Just putting things into context, must say a well done to South Yorkshire police this week, they managed to control what would have been one hell of a riot on Saturday in Sheffield.

Quick Reply: Dirty Arsenal