Notices
Sport General sport discussion

One of the longest matches I have ever done....

Search this Thread

Old 06 January 2003, 10:28 AM
Little Miss WRX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

All Age Ladies (AAL) Division One match....one of the teams started off with 8 players. - they managed to get two more players by the time 15 minutes had gone, then half way through the first half their 11th player was brought on.

I had one assistant referee who was really good and the other was a female, who IMHO, had a bigger attitude than all of the females on the teams put together. I hope I never have her assisting me on the line again, ever. (I was later informed that she was a player for one of the sides and wasn't even supposed to be on the line for this match!!!!).

First half went great, pitch was not the best, but not the worst I have ever seen, the ladies were playing hard, but I had no reason to stop the match for any late or bad challenges. A couple of dodgy handballs, but no advantage was gained, so I let them go.

Second half, however, hmmmm.......5 minutes into the match and one of the ladies went down very hard on the ground in pain. she had landed in a dodgy fashion on the pitch. An ambulance was duly called, it was forty minutes after the initial stoppage that I was able to consider continuing on with the game. After informing both sides that there was no reason to abandon the match, play resumed. Two minutes later, another player went down. This time no ambulance was required, but the player was unable to continue leaving one team down to 10 players (no subs). At this point that team whinged about the pitch condition and wanted the game stopped. the other team were happy to go ahead. (The team wishing to stop not only didn't have sufficient players, but were also 3 nil behind......)

I consulted my assistants, the lad was quite happy for play to continue and let me know away from people as we spoke, the female however very audibly gave everyone her opinion which was basically that she wasn't interested in giving me anything useful and that it was my decision full stop. Even the coach of one of the teams suggested she go to the side to speak with me rather than be unprofessionally vocal as she was being at that point.
I know for a fact that any other assisting official would have given me some form of advice on how to handle things.

I decided to play the match out, one more injury occurred, but that was due to a nasty kick from one of the players.

I was so relieved when the match was finished, a total of 2 hours and twenty minutes.
Yesterday I had sustained an injury from a match and the stiffness in my left thigh was really ******* my performance. My right ankle had also been weakened by a slight sprain. Not only that, but with the break for the inuries, my muscles were starting to stiffen up really badly now! I managed to subtly limp away from the ground with my pride in tatters after the marathon was complete.

Not a good match, so I rung one of our coaches to double check with what I should have done. He told me that he was there at the ground watching the match. I did everything right and that he would have done exactly what I did, but it was pretty obvious to him that I was struggling with an injury and that reflected somewhat on my performance. He also said that after the promising inspection seen yesterday he was a little disappointed that I wasn't performing as well as he was told I would. This in turn quite disappointed me.

Oh well, we all have our off days. Not a nice way to finish a good weekend though, my Saturday matches were satisfactory and I passed a centre and line inspection with flying colours.

[Edited by Little Miss WRX - 6/1/2003 11:44:36 AM]
Old 02 June 2003, 05:14 AM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Noooooo, not good, I have suspicious pains in my shins....I am really hoping it isn't what I think it is.....
Old 04 June 2003, 04:37 PM
Little Miss WRX

Cool

Things seem to be improvign with my leg. Rested up a couple of days.
Games today got cancelled due to rain again. But that wasn't so bad as I had been suffering from a nasty sick bug yesterday.

This weekend appointments are interesting, I have got senior appointments in the centre (not lining ), so they obviously have some faith in me and think my fitness is up to standard. I know they are trying to get me on Premier which will be cool.

Unfortunately, this Sunday I am officiating with that female referee again. I rang up our coach and told him the reasons why i was uncomfortable and asked him what I should do.....he told me to stick with it and if I got the same kind of attitude as I did this last weekend, then to officially request not to be teamed up with her.
This does disappoint me as I was part of a very good female officials team in the UK. Football clubs used to enjoy us officiating especially in cup competitions. We weren't alays officiating together, but when we did we made a marvellous team.
I am pretty unhappy at the reception I have received over here from a fellow female official. None of the clubs or other people at the ground could fathom why she was being so obnoxious towards me. All of the male officials I have lined or reffed with have all praised me and been happy with my performance and attitude.
Old 05 June 2003, 12:29 AM
Jonto
Scooby Regular

Old 05 June 2003, 02:33 PM
Little Miss WRX

Cool

Are you stalking me?

Look, just because my thread is more popular in the midlands forum, that doesn't mean you can come and roll your eyes at me.

I went to juduciary last night over that player who assaulted the referee. They tried to pull my report and the referee's report apart. Fortunately, the independent assessor and other teams reports backed us up sufficiently and it looks like he will be facing maximum sentence for what he did.