Notices
Sport General sport discussion

Referee in Championship controversy.....

Search this Thread

Old 11 May 2003, 10:16 PM
555 Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

There was a major talking point at Goodison Park this afternoon as referee Mike Riley was controversionally left out of the medal ceremony as Manchester United claimed the Premiership trophy.

Riley, who awarded United the 7th penalty he has given them this season, and who has also sent off four opposition players, fumed "It's ridiculous. I've done more to earn them that trophy than probably anyone except Van Nistelrooy. And he wouldn't have that Golden Boot either if it wasn't for the seven penalties I've given him. I'm really disappointed and will be taking this up with the referee's union".

However, it is reported that United manager Alex Ferguson is privately disappointed with the official's performances over the season and thinks they should've had "at least ten penalties" from him. Reports are circulating that the Scot is considering removing Riley from the Old Trafford payroll and signing Andy D'Urso as a replacement.

if only it wasn't so true
Old 12 May 2003, 12:23 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

You're like the Murphys then?
Old 12 May 2003, 01:28 PM
Little Miss WRX

Makes me cringe as a referee to see jokes/reports such as this.

Some of us are desperately trying to bring consistency and good refereeing into the game and it gets damaged continuously.
Old 12 May 2003, 02:00 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Wink

Bitter blue? or Cockney red?
Old 12 May 2003, 04:01 PM
555 Markus
Scooby Regular

Talking

Lol, none of these. Just someone with a sense of humour. You should get one, you might like it. I'm big enough to say that Man Utd richly deserved their title given their form since Xmas. Happy now?

Its more of a dig at refs like Riley, Elleray, Winter, Rennie, Poll, Barber, etc and their own sense of self importance. Sorry Chelle, but these guys set themselves up to be shot down.

Anyway, I found it funny. End of.
Old 12 May 2003, 04:28 PM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Cool

Yeah I know it is a dig at top refs and as I said, it is disappointing to hear **** like this.

Before I was joining in on the banter, but now that I am taking refereeing up a hell of a lot more seriously I am beginning to see how much of an uphill climb it is going to be for me to gain respect when top referees are officiating in the manner that they are and receiving criticism/being the brunt of jokes as above....no matter how well earned it is.

Now that I am joining the ranks as a semi-pro. I need to show comradeship as it may (and it is hard to do after some matches I have seen ) towards my fellow referees no matter what level they are and how badly they perform.