Sport General sport discussion

How will it be decided?

Search this Thread

Old 14 April 2003, 02:50 PM
moomin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

If both Arsenal and Man U finish level on points what will be used to decide the final positions, goal difference or goals scored?
Old 14 April 2003, 03:03 PM
grovesy
Scooby Regular

Wink

Niether if they both have the same points it goes to 3rd place....

Come on the TOON
Old 14 April 2003, 03:10 PM
dharbige
Scooby Regular

From the premier league site:

4. The position of Clubs in the table shall be determined by the number of points scored in that Season, the Club having scored the highest number of points being at the top of the table and the Club having scored the lowest number of points being at the bottom.

5. If any 2 or more Clubs have scored the same number of points their position in the table shall be determined on goal difference, that is to say, the difference between the total number of goals scored by and against a Club in League Matches in that Season, and the higher or highest placed Club shall be the Club with the larger or largest goal difference.

6. If any 2 or more Clubs have scored the same number of points and have the same goal difference the higher or highest placed Club shall be the Club having scored the most goals in League Matches in that Season.

7. Subject to Rule B.29, if any 2 or more Clubs have scored the same number of points, have the same goal difference and have scored the same number of goals in League Matches in that Season they shall be deemed to occupy the same position in the table.

[Edited to add:]
14. If at the end of the Season either the League Champions or the Clubs to be relegated or the question of qualification for other competitions cannot be determined because 2 or more Clubs are equal on points, goal difference and goals scored, the Clubs concerned shall play off one or more deciding League Matches on neutral grounds, the format, timing and venue of which shall be determined by the Board.

Imagine that! A Premiership Title play-off! What a game that would be!

[Edited by dharbige - 4/14/2003 3:16:16 PM]
Old 14 April 2003, 03:39 PM
moomin
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for that. I thought that would be the case but I was having this 'discussion' in the pub yesterday but wasn't entirely sure of my ground so thought I better not get too trappy!

Grovesy – I’ll be ok with that, I’ve got £20 on the Toon to win it at 42-1