Sport General sport discussion

Come on the Scum for tuesaday.

Search this Thread

Old 06 April 2003, 09:05 PM
south-star
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

okay..i'm a pool fan,and you beat us at the weekend,but i'm still british and would love United to stuff real madrid on tuesday.
so lay down your predjedices and ....come on United.

Do the business.
Old 06 April 2003, 10:48 PM
ash1
Scooby Regular

Smile

If thats the case then how come you use the word "Scum" in the title of your post ?

You could be using some Management Psychology here I guess.

Anyway, cmon Real 'AllStars' Madrid.
Old 07 April 2003, 08:34 AM
Nick Wadeson
Scooby Regular

I love the comment from Wenger.....If Arsenal were playing Real then they would win!.....Yes, Arsenal are so good they qualified for the quarter finals

They couldn't even win their games at Highbury, let alone win in the Bernabau (sp?) !!

Come on United
Old 08 April 2003, 10:17 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Talking

United showed too much deference,Madrid are beatable.......2-0 to united at home i reckon.
Old 08 April 2003, 11:20 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Madrid were Awesome going forward in the first half. Some of the best football I've ever seen!

3-2 and we would have a chance.......... 3-1.......... I can't see us shutting them out for 90 mins.
Old 09 April 2003, 08:07 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Red face

lol - you boys took a real beating!

They made you look like a 2nd division team.

They will beat you at home too.....

I think you need to buy some better players

Trending Topics

Old 09 April 2003, 08:48 AM
Little Miss WRX

Wink

May the best team win is my diplomatic support.
Old 09 April 2003, 10:50 AM
crowt123
Scooby Regular

let's stick to the "letter of the law" which reared it's head on saturday when sammi h got sent of..(no help from ugly t*** gary neville was there?) so the scum should have had 2 sent off last night...funny how there won't be any mention of that from whingeing git ferguson...as far as i'm concerned "you got what you deserved and don't have a friggin prayer" let's hope that you win sweet f.a again this year ...come on arsenal!
perhaps mr ferguson should have rather taken a worthington victory rather than a league double.....good manager ? all he's done is bought crap (excep van nistelrooy)..was it his backroom staff that gave him a such a good team and he's destroying it? barthex, blanc, ferdinand, forlan, veron anyone ?
Old 09 April 2003, 11:14 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Aaargh wtf was that. It was like most of our team was too afraid to get stuck in. 2nd goal was atrocious.

To be fair Real should have had that penalty, was a blatant foul. And Barthez handling about a metre outside the area - ref was blind!

3-1 was a fair result but we should have really made it 3-2 as we played a lot better in the second half. I dont think we can win 2-0 at home so its gonna have to be 3-1 and take it from there. One thing is for sure - its gonna be entertaining if we score first!

Simon.
Old 09 April 2003, 09:45 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Most of us are reasonable and have no problem admitting we were crap/outclassed/beaten. Real could have won 6-0 but we could have drawn 3-3. They were far better but we didnt play as well as I know we can. Beckham was pants and has been for a while. The only players with any passion were ferdinand, ruud and O'shea IMHO.

I live in hope that we can turn it around at OT but even if we cant its still an honour to still be in the comp and playing the best club team in the world. 10 years ago we would never have dreamed of being in the quarters of the champs league on such a regular basis.

Simon.
Old 10 April 2003, 03:19 PM
dharbige
Scooby Regular

Question

let's stick to the "letter of the law"...so the scum should have had 2 sent off last night
I assume one of these is refering to "The Barthez Incident", but what I would like to know is: under which of the rules of the game should he have been sent off?

Dunno who else should have been sent off though.

Old 10 April 2003, 05:55 PM
ash1
Scooby Regular

Total masterclass - didn't want it to end as was loving Real movement and domination, watching ZZ is like slow mo. Taggart should take note. Beckham nowhere to be seen. Taggart now to be charged for **** comments about fixing (ha,ha).

Real remind me of the Liverpool side of the 80s, pure class.

Just as well Riley gave Scum an easy game on Sat as Real would have stuffed Scum further.
Old 10 April 2003, 06:57 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
for Hash1 scumscumscumscumscumscumscumscumscumscumscumscumsc umscumscum
scumscumscumscumscumscumscumscumscumscumscumscumsc umscumscum

Just for you, use them as you wish I reckon there should be at least 2-3 days worth there for you
Old 10 April 2003, 10:57 PM
ash1
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Don't wear it out mate !!

Only used it twice, unlike you, shameful.

Zidane, Carlos, Raul, Ronaldo, Figo, Hierro - call yourself the richest club in the world ? Don't make me laugh. Its paper asset -worth sweet FA.
Old 11 April 2003, 09:50 AM
Nick Wadeson
Scooby Regular

Ash

I think you'll find that United got to where they are on their own, rather then having the local council pay off all our debts..... If Manchester council decided to give us similar amount of money things would be a little different.

Though I do have to admit that most of the comments post match about Becks etc have been perfectly correct. Several of our so called best players have been way off the mark all season

Nick.
Old 11 April 2003, 10:23 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

I dont think the people of Manchester would be too happy if the local council gave Utd the sort of cash Real have received over the years from their local council and king Juan Carlos, they are usually £100M in debt but its Real and its accepted and two weeks later they bought Zidane for £48m !! for all the clubs in debt in this country its nothing compared to Italy and Spain.
Old 11 April 2003, 01:45 PM
Nick Wadeson
Scooby Regular

Funkii

I wasn't suggesting for a moment that Manchester city council should give a rather large amount of cash to United, I was merely pointing out that it's not a level playing field between our clubs and those in Europe.

Nick.
Old 11 April 2003, 02:40 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Nick
I was agreeing
Old 11 April 2003, 03:22 PM
ash1
Scooby Regular

No, but you get all your money from ripping people off instead.

Doesn't matter how they get their players. There are no UEFA guidelines (yet) as to level of debt, so why not buy the best players in the world.

You're only cheesed off cos you paid 28 mill for Ali G when you could have had Ronaldo for that much.
Old 13 April 2003, 08:33 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

ash1 you really do have a chip on your shoulder mate - its good to see that our success winds you up so much. I guess that 4-0 trouncing must still be cutting you up

We make our money from ripping people off? If people want to buy stuff then why shouldnt manutd sell it? If you dont want it then dont buy it - I for one dont buy every strip we bring out. We cant help it if beckham shirts outsell heskey shirts 100-1

Real Madrid may have the best players in the world but they do get a lot of financial backing from their local council. Werent they looking at getting kicked out of the champs league a while back for not having enough money - then their local council buys up their stadium for £300 million or something?

We arent up to Real Madrids standard overall but on our day we can still beat any team, Real included. We've helped pull english teams credibility back into the european scene - whilst all you can do is clutch to distant memories of 80's success, with the odd secondary cup win to keep u smiling.

Simon.
Old 13 April 2003, 10:26 AM
ash1
Scooby Regular

Smile

P1F – not bitter at all dude, just here for people like you, if you were not bothered enough then you would not feel right to reply ?

On footballing matters - don’t flatter yourself, a trouncing is beating Newcastle away 6-2, wouldn’t call beating Pool 4-0 with 10 men a trouncing. I’m not bothered about that to be honest as I was pretty impressed that we managed to keep the Scum out for best part of 60 odd minutes until your no1 fan (and he is from Leeds!) awarded you dodgy pen (not bad record for riley – what 6 pens from 4 games is it?). I think we could have taken something from the game if he hadn’t have misused the sending off rule (let’s face it that rule was introduced for deliberate foul when you are one on one with GK, wouldn’t say Hyppia foul was deliberate foul, yellow card + pen was sufficient).

As for shirts, its not as simple as if “you don’t want them then don’t buy them”, lot of it is down to peer group pressure e.g. kids need the most recent kits in school for reasons which are down to PGP.

Real?, my point still stands, UEFA did talk about debt levels but have not taken any action. So as far as I am concerned, the playing field is level i.e. you can get your money by whatever means. Besides, by winning the Champions League over the past few years they can afford to keep buying the best players – unfortunately adding Beckham to that list does not qualify (he proved that on Tuesday gone, will be poor acquisition, but can take McMannamans role on bench) – he’s not even been European Player of the Year yet.

I’m not clutching to past memories, never mentioned anything to that effect in any of my posts. But would also like to say that most recently you have not won anything for two years now, you even failed to win the Worthington Cup when you went out hell for leather to win it. We have a trophy this year.

Ash (here to put ManUre fans right!)
Old 13 April 2003, 11:59 AM
dharbige
Scooby Regular

I think we could have taken something from the game if he hadn’t have misused the sending off rule (let’s face it that rule was introduced for deliberate foul when you are one on one with GK, wouldn’t say Hyppia foul was deliberate foul, yellow card + pen was sufficient).
Sorry, ash, but you're just plain wrong.

A player is sent off and shown the red card if he commits any of the following seven offences:
5. Denies an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the player’s goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or a penalty kick
(From FIFA Laws Of The Game, 2002 edition)

So if a penalty was justified (which by your own admission it was), then Hyppia HAD to be sent off. No arguments. That's the rules. Deal with it.

Old 13 April 2003, 01:13 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

ash1 - Ive never said I wasnt bothered, yet another assumption on your behalf. I just have better things to do than hang around on Liverpool threads contradicting myself in an attempt to ridicule supporters of another team. In fact its comical that you put so much time and effort into manutd threads. Perhaps your a closet manutd fan trying to come out! And I dont believe for one minute that you werent bothered about being beat 4-0, you just keep believing that!

The penalty - it was a **** tackle stopping a chance on goal. Some refs send em off some dont - deal with it.

Shirts/strips - you can apply that analagy to anything. Mobile phones, video games, any other clothes. At least its something the club can do for themselves instead of expecting govt handouts.

Money - you started the whole money thing off. We are the richest club in the world whichever way you look at - who they decide to spend that money on is up to the club management and no one else - least of all you. Being the richest club in the world is nothing amazing - its not like us fans play on that. Its nothing Im particularly proud of. Alex Ferguson doesnt like spending stupid amounts on loads of world class players. Real have done this and got themselves in major debt and they know they will always get bailed out. Hey I would love a Ronaldo, but Im not bitter we dont have him. I support the team whoever plays for us.

If this isnt clutching to past memories, I dont know what is:
Real remind me of the Liverpool side of the 80s, pure class.
Old 13 April 2003, 04:09 PM
dharbige
Scooby Regular

Bravo2Zero, I'm afraid your conclusion isn't proved by your argument.
I agree, it should have been a penalty in the ManU/Real game. And if a penalty had been given, a red card should have followed.
However, obviously, the referee didn't see the clash as a foul.

The fact he didnt see it as a foul does not mean the rule of sending off a player who commits a foul thus denying a goal scoring opportunity is not being applied. It just means he didn't see it a a foul.

To be honest, there were lots of things the referee didn't see during that particular game. The Barthez "Oops where's the penalty area" incident being an even more blatant example. (Which I still contend should not have been a red OR a yellow card had it been spotted.)
Old 13 April 2003, 04:37 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

It happens all the time look at the West Ham v Villa, repka is booked two minutes later he pushed a guy in the back and concedes a pen, it should have been a yellow minimum and Repka would have been on his was yet again, inconsistant referees its all part of the game
Old 13 April 2003, 05:12 PM
dharbige
Scooby Regular

Bravo,

I agree that your example illustrates ManU "getting away with it" (although I don't agree that they necessarily get away with more than other teams). My point was that it does not demonstrate inconsistant use of the sending off rule, which is what you presented it as an example of.

I also agree that the Barthez incident was blatant enough that I could see it from my house - without the use of a television.
The foul by Brown (?) was less easy to see, although I do personally think it was a foul.

I'm not sure that refereeing is getting worse - it's just that the tools exist now to allow us to critique their performances more. On example of great refereeing (and assistant refereeing) was in the ManU/Newcastle game where OGS wasn't given offside - it was very tight but he was definatley on, and most times those are incorrectly given off.

Colina IS a good ref. But cloning him would definatley reduce the average attractiveness of the human race...

(See ManU fans and Arsenal fans CAN agree on some things )

Quick Reply: Come on the Scum for tuesaday.