Sport General sport discussion

Bad Press - England vs Turkey

Search this Thread

Old 03 April 2003, 10:18 AM
JPR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

After looking at some of the papers and watching the news this morning, why is it that in this country ,the press always exploit to the full, the negative side of English sport?
OK, so there were a few deplorable yobs who decided to cause trouble at the game last night, but lets not forget that this was a tiny fraction of the fans who attended the game. I went to the match and didn't see one ounce of trouble besides that of the odd over intoxicated person being bundled away by the police.
Some reports stated that 50 fans 'invaded' the pitch. A slight exageration, I was in that corner and it was more like 10-15 fans at that. I don't condone fans running onto the pitch, I think they were just overwhelmed by the occasion, the great atmosphere and the performance, which was a long time coming.

So why do the press always focus on the negative things? Lets put in perspective, yes OK a minority of 'so called' fans were there for some trouble and I wish they would **** off and stop using sport, namely football for the venues, but most people were there as decent patriotic citizens and lets not forget that.

Old 03 April 2003, 01:08 PM
waggy doo
Scooby Regular

totaly agree with you.i traveled 6 hours from sussex to go to the game.Pitch invasion? I dont think so.i was in the north west upper.had i been down the front i would have found it hard not to get carried away,it was such a charged atmosphere in there,bloody exellent.Becks,Rooney and sol all outstanding.
One negative,the old bill were over the top.
Old 03 April 2003, 01:39 PM
JPR
Scooby Regular

I agree, the police were OTT. A lot of peeps in the office (incl. Jocks) who saw the TV news clips commented that a lot of the crowd trouble looked like the filth handling the situations badly, these comments came from 50+ law abiding citizens.
Old 03 April 2003, 03:08 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Question

Never understood this one:

Why is there never any trouble of this kind at Rugby matches?
Old 03 April 2003, 03:31 PM
JPR
Scooby Regular

Football just seems to attract those type of yobs, any other sport in the world you will see opposing supporters mixed into a stadium.