Notices
Sport General sport discussion

How many of you footie fans know the rules?

Search this Thread

Old 23 March 2003, 05:48 AM
Little Miss WRX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Having just passed my referee's exam (for the second time now ) with a pass just shy of 100%. I thought I might torture a few of you with the revisions questions that we had in the course.

What do you think? I could also post up the basics of Law 12 - one of which is good to know (even better if the PRem refs knew it )
Old 23 March 2003, 05:09 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Test us then.........
Old 23 March 2003, 05:26 PM
FASTER MIKE!!
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

go on then explain the off side rule

mike
Old 23 March 2003, 05:41 PM
Toonman1
Scooby Regular

"I thought I might torture a few of you"

Why bother with us? Why not help some of your fellow Refs who seem unable to remember even fairly basic rules?

Most of us are prepared for the odd mistake from Officials (human nature, fast game etc etc). What many of is would like, is a little more consistency however.

Cheers and good luck with your new "career"!

Mike
Old 23 March 2003, 06:55 PM
555 Markus
Scooby Regular

Wink

Why bother with us?
Gotta agree. Most dedicated football fans have a pretty fair idea of the majority of the rules. Its arrogant, patronising, and inconsistent referees that wind people up.

LMW...maybe you should be testing the Villa goalies' understanding of scoring direct from a throw on? .
Old 24 March 2003, 03:52 AM
Little Miss WRX

Talking

You leave our goalie out of it.

Agreed, most dedicated football fans do have a basic idea of the rules, I just get very much annoyed at commentators on sports channels who think they are better than the referee. I would love to see some of them in the middle of the pitch in a crucial game. The trouble is a lot of fans who stay at home are gonna be listening to these "know it alls" and not finding out exactly what the laws are and how they are applied.
I find a little knowledge is good, a lot of knowledge with experience is good also, but a mediocre amount in an armchair fan is not.

Thanks for the good luck Mike. I do hope to start climbing the ranks in the Australian leagues and aim to get to FIFA call up status. Depending on wages, I may consider returning to the UK to fight it out into the Premiership ranks - but that is very much far off and in the distance.

I have so much to learn and at the moment, I would do better to learn off the Premiership referees' games/mistakes than trying to "teach my grandmother to suck eggs" - no one likes a know it all youngster in any career.

I just thought it would be fun to post up a few situations and questions to test your knowledge. But if you don't want that then **** ya. Hehehehe.

Cheers,

Michelle.

[Edited by Little Miss WRX - 3/24/2003 3:56:28 AM]
Old 24 March 2003, 06:32 PM
555wickedways
Scooby Regular

Go on test our humble knowledge....
We promise not to throw yorkie bars at you or invite you to Soccer AMs hot tub......

Trending Topics

Old 24 March 2003, 08:21 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I just thought it would be fun to post up a few situations and questions to test your knowledge. But if you don't want that then **** ya. Hehehehe.

Old 24 March 2003, 08:50 PM
Kosy
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Ok ill ask a Question....>

Q1. What do you do when a ref gets struck on the head with a missile (ie coin, pie, pie foil )
Old 24 March 2003, 08:52 PM
Kosy
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Answer......>

**** yourself laughing.

hehehe

(Disclaimer; this has just been posted as a joke and i dont agree with any person that throws something at a ref (even a pie )
Old 25 March 2003, 12:17 AM
Little Miss WRX

Cool

So, the prodigal Kosy return. How are you nowadays Mr Potential Ref Basher?
Old 25 March 2003, 12:16 PM
JudgeThread
Scooby Newbie

[Edited by JudgeThread - 3/25/2003 12:17:21 PM]
Old 25 March 2003, 09:07 PM
555wickedways
Scooby Regular

Heres a situation...
Q..Attacker has a throw in opposition half round about level with edge of penalty area.He cant find anyone unmarked to throw to so he quickly throws the ball at the back of the head of a defender,collects the rebound (defender has a hard head),moves forward and powers ball into the goal.Defender quickly realises what has happened and is about to happen, so collapses on the ground ( A LA JEFFERS) clutching his head....
WHAT DOES THE REFEREE DO NEXT ????????
Old 25 March 2003, 10:22 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Give a free kick for unsporting conduct.

Similar to the Ashley Cole/Danny Mills Incident.

They should also stop the game imeadiately (spelling?) for the head injury.
Old 26 March 2003, 12:02 AM
555 Markus
Scooby Regular

Question

Didn't Dean Saunders once score by taking a throw-on against a member of the opposition (maybe the goalie who had come out to clear the ball) and then slid the ball into an empty net?

In the question above the goal should stand, and if the defender throws himself to the ground (in mock injury) I'd book him too ...especially if its Jug ears Jeffers [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 26 March 2003, 09:01 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

That was against the players back, not his head. The fact that the referee does not know the player is faking injury means he should stop the game immediately.

?
Old 26 March 2003, 03:30 PM
555wickedways
Scooby Regular

Thought that the scenario might cause a difference of opinion...
Now what would the decision be if Attacker threw the ball from the throw in at the defenders rear and then scored...Defender collapsed on ground holding his bum in mock injury......
A REFS LIFE IS NEVER A CLEAR CUT ONE !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 26 March 2003, 06:47 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

The ref has to decide if the players injury is genuine or not.If he thinks he's faking it he should allow play to carry on and any subsequent goal should stand.
If he decides its genuine,unless the player has already scored he should stop play.

Am i right?..
Old 31 March 2003, 09:53 AM
Little Miss WRX

Cool

Generally, the common sense way to look at these situations is like this:

Is the player is bleeding STOP PLAY and remove player from field
If player has a head injury STOP PLAY and get medical attention onto the field asap.

I have just got back off hols, so will answer this in a bit more detail in a while.
Old 06 April 2003, 02:24 PM
sparkster
Scooby Regular

Question

Has the footie season started yet Michelle? How are the Penrith Panthers doing? Are they kicking **** as usual?

Mark
Old 06 April 2003, 06:49 PM
Toonman1
Scooby Regular

Michelle

Got one. The scenario is:

Attacking Midfielder (with one booking already), launches himself (Studs showing), at a Defender and catches said Defender right, bang on the Knee. Defender goes down in pain. Ref, despite being close enough to view whole incident, decides to play "advantage" to Attacking Team, who go on to gain legit Penalty, and subsequently score the winner. Even the Manager of Attacking Team has shouted for game to be stopped due to injury to Defending player. It's noted on TV that the Ref has looked back several times and MUST be aware of injured Defender.

This defeat for the Defender's Team costs them any realistic chance of winning the EPL and probably the Runner Up place too.

What would you do in this situation?

Old 06 April 2003, 07:28 PM
555 Markus
Scooby Regular

Wink

This defeat for the Defender's Team costs them any realistic chance of winning the EPL and probably the Runner Up place too.
...and maybe even third place too .
Old 06 April 2003, 08:51 PM
Toonman1
Scooby Regular

Maybe; Everton aren't a bad team...
Old 07 April 2003, 11:00 AM
Little Miss WRX

Talking

Yeah the footie season has started but I refuse to keep up to date with it out of principal for the cheeky Aussies calling the hallowed game of ours soccer instead of it's rightful name of football.

Toonman1 - good scenario, lemme think on that one and digest it. I am not on the PC for long, so will reply when I am next online.
Old 11 April 2003, 10:40 AM
Little Miss WRX

Cool

Straight away with this one....

Attacking Midfielder (with one booking already), launches himself (Studs showing), at a Defender and catches said Defender right, bang on the Knee. Defender goes down in pain.
My response would have been to award a direct free kick to the attacking team for that foul.
Now depending on how I saw the launch.......the key here is where the ball was and whether the player was going for the ball!
If the player had merely clipped the defender and had been trying to genuinely go for the ball, not the player then I would be more lenient, but with the fact that his studs were showing, I would pull out the yellow card and caution him for unsporting behaviour.

However, (this sounds more the case) if the situation is that the attacker had kicked the ball forward, then launched himself at the defender with intent to "take him out" then the free kick would be awarded and I would send the player off for Serious Foul Play.

Therefore, the situation beyond would be prevented from occurring and the defender would receive treatment as soon as possible.
Old 11 April 2003, 12:32 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Smile

WRT the first incedent the goal should stand. I assume the defender was on his feet and not looking in the direction of play. Play hasn't stopped, as in the player taking the throw on does'nt need acknowledgement from the ref that he may continue. If the throw in hit the defender on the head then it is safe to assume the player will not be injured to the extent of a severe head injury, so play can continue in the knowledge that if the player does need attention then it can be given at the next stoppage in play.

There isn't a case for 'bad sportsmanship' since it is up to the defender to be ready for the resupmtion in play. IIRC the Mills / Cole incedent was a free kick (i.e. play had stopped and the ref has authority on when play can resume), also one player was using the opponent that was on the ground to his advantage which could be seen as unsporting conduct. Also the ball should travel 10 yards before an opponent can touch it after a free kick IIRC.

Am I right?

Do I win a prize

Justin
Old 11 April 2003, 01:04 PM
Little Miss WRX

Cool

The thing you got incorrect was the ten yard bit of the free kick.

Opposing players need to be ten yards away, but the ball is in play after the ball is kicked and moves.
Old 11 April 2003, 01:11 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Oh yes, sorry about that Thats what I meant, he wasn't 10 yards away when play resumed
Old 11 April 2003, 05:14 PM
Toonman1
Scooby Regular

"I would send the player off for Serious Foul Play"

Shame you weren't the Ref them Michelle, as Neale Barry the EPL Official allowed play to continue (with the Olivier Bernard the Newcastle Utd Defender in obvious pain on the ground), giving an immediate unwarranted advantage to Everton, who went on to gain a dubious Penalty, and therefore won the game! At least their Manager apologised...

Thanks for the reply.

Cheers

Mike
Old 11 April 2003, 11:32 PM
555 Markus
Scooby Regular

Wink

Attacking Midfielder (with one booking already), launches himself (Studs showing), at a Defender and catches said Defender right, bang on the Knee. Defender goes down in pain.
My response would have been to award a direct free kick to the attacking team for that foul.
Not wishing to argue with the ref , but in this example (which we all know is based around the game Newcastle lost at Everton, gutted ) wouldn't you give a free kick to the defender's team, not the attacking team.

Quick Reply: How many of you footie fans know the rules?