Sport General sport discussion

Sporting injuries

Search this Thread

Old 24 February 2003, 08:49 AM
swan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Sir Alex Ferguson’s unique method of giving David Beckham the boot is just one of a long list of bizarre soccer injuries over the years.
Herewith some of the choicest:

Fergie wouldn't be too happy if Rio Ferdinand repeated his couch potato routine of missing three matches 18 months ago after watching TV with his foot up on the coffee table in the same position for several hours. He strained a tendon behind his knee.

Roy Keane should watch out. An earlier Old Trafford legend, goalkeeper Alex Stepney, once dislocated his jaw shouting at his own defenders.

Santiago Canizares, Spain's No.1 goalkeeper, dropped a bottle of after-shave on his foot at home last May, severing an artery and ruling himself out of the 2002 World Cup Finals.

Arsenal's Steve Morrow was cavorting around the Wembley pitch after scoring the winning goal against Sheffield Wednesday in the 1993 League Cup Final when he was hoisted into the air by team captain Tony Adams. Unable to match the dexterity of Morrow's twinkling footwork, Adams dropped his team-mate over his shoulder, breaking Morrow's arm.

Portsmouth striker John Durnin crashed his golf buggy into a fairway hollow. He was out for six weeks with a dislocated elbow.

In 1998, Robbie Keane damaged his ankle when he trod on his TV remote controller.

In 1996, 21-year-old Danish goalkeeper Michael Stensgaard's Liverpool career came to an end after dislocating a shoulder as he tried to stop an ironing board from falling over.

Aston Villa's Alan Wright was forced to sell his R800,000 Ferrari because it was keeping him off the pitch. He said: 'The accelerator's position meant my right leg was bent slightly and my knee was giving me grief.' He swapped the Ferrari for a Rover 416.

Arsenal's Charlie George lost a big toe while mowing the lawn.

Mike Bennett, goalkeeper for Bristol team St Philip's, made no attempt to save a shot during the 1989/90 season. It was discovered he was suffering from hypothermia.

Chic Brodie, Brentford goalie in the Sixties, was bowled over by a dog on the pitch. His injuries virtually ended his career.

Three Fulham players complained of blistering after playing Ashford Town in an FA Cup tie. The rain-washed pitch had been re-marked at half-time with lime.

In the Balkans, Milan Rapaic of Hajduk Split missed the start of the 1995/96 season after sticking his boarding-pass in his eye at an airport.

In 1995, Indonesian player Mistar was killed by pigs that overran a pitch where his team were training before a cup tie.

Chelsea goalkeeper Dave Beasant missed the first months of the 1992/93 season after dropping a jar of mayonnaise on his right foot and severing the tendon in the big toe.

David Seaman pulled a muscle in his back while reaching for the remote in order to tape Coronation Street.

Imre Varadi, the man of more clubs than Jack Nicklaus, injured his back shovelling snow in a neighbour's drive while at Leeds.

Shortly after Allan Nielsen moved to Tottenham in 1996, he was forced to miss three games after his new-born daughter poked him in the eye.

Scotland Under 21 captain Gary Naysmith fell down a manhole during a game against Bosnia. He said: 'I was taking a long throw when I stood on the drain cover and it disappeared under my feet.'

And finally, Paul Gascoigne - who else? - was ruled out of a Lazio match in 1993 when he strained his thigh getting out of bed one morning.