Notices
Sport General sport discussion

Darren Lehmann - Don't the media make you sick..

Search this Thread

Old 17 January 2003, 05:44 PM
Jerry*
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Just read the Sun double-page article today about the recent goings on in Aus.

Why do they make such a big issue out of something like this...okay its pretty bad - but they dig up everything they can find to run him down to the ground. Come on - we've all said stuff we didn't mean when wound up..

If you didn't know - Lehmann loses his rag when given run out during the match against Sri Lanka. Okay he shouldn't have done, because the laws of the professional game require players to obey a strict code of conduct. He was out as well !

He comes out with comments that are deemed to be racist towards his opponents - he is pulled up for it, admits it, apologises, says it was a heat of the moment thing, is fined and now faces a fairly lengthy ban for his silliness - nuff said.

Now the papers lap it up and brand him a "racist slob" and call for him to be banned for life... give over !

Anyone who knows anything about cricket knows that the professional players all regard Sri Lanka as the worst team in the world to play against for personal and racist abuse whilst on the pitch. Historically they have been quoted to have dished out more stick than anybody. What happened on the pitch in the past, no matter how bad it was, stayed on the pitch.

Whilst I don't condone Lehmann's actions, I really do feel that the press make a meal of stuff like this and don't portray things as they really are/were.

It seems a little one-sided as some people seem to be able to take a 'sticks and stones' attitude to this kind of thing and others do not...

Rant mode off..
Old 17 January 2003, 07:33 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Angry

For those that dont know what he said
it was "***** ***** ******* black *****"

Very Professional!! the Leyton Hewitt of the Cricket world! and what was the outcome of Hewitt's abuse?? anyone know, so little was reported

Serious action has to be taken, I dont think a lifetime ban should be impossed but the rules for all sports should be reviewed and re-written with regards to racism/violence and how it will be punished, if they knew from the start what the punishment was for such actions were then there would be no more of this "red mist" "heat of the moment" BS

If I swore like that at one of my non white colleagues (I work with Indians, West Indians, Greeks, Bangladeshes, an Iranian, Welsh ) I would be fired full stop. But if I was a famous sporting hero............

I look forward to see how Yorkshire CCC react, will it be like the West Ham fans last Saturday re Bowyer ???, well played West Ham fans.

Dave
Old 18 January 2003, 09:48 AM
TheScooby
Scooby Regular

Angry

I agree with Jerry. Now i hate Lehman and most of the Australian cricket team, but Lehman has admitted saying it, which is good, he has apologised, which is also good, and this is the most important bit, the Sri Lankan cricket team has accepted his apology, there it is, game over. Just slap him a ban and a fine then get on with the game!! I can't believe that the bloody british crap-loids have written a two page rant about it!! There is always banter on all kinds of sports fields, except maybe lawn bowls. You should hear some of the NZ v. Aussi banter that goes on. I think some people need to GET OVER IT!!!!

TheScooby
Old 18 January 2003, 02:31 PM
rsquire
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Did the newspapers over there mention anything about the fact that the Sri Lankan senior players and management actually went into the hearing to plead for him NOT to be suspended????

Old 18 January 2003, 06:18 PM
planky
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

What if one of the Sri Lankans called Lehmann a 'white' aussie fat b*stard c*nt,lets guess,f*ck all[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]..NOW that makes me mad,its racist to call ALL colours names but theres to much of this onesided racism in the world..It makes my blood boil!!!

Btw there shouldn't be ANY racism in the world,its just a point im putting across,ok.
Old 18 January 2003, 11:08 PM
TheScooby
Scooby Regular

Angry

Lehman should sue TheSun for damages or something, that would teach them to shut up. Stupid craploids.

TheScooby
Old 20 January 2003, 03:59 PM
Jerry*
Scooby Regular

Angry

FM,

Its got F*** all to do with Yorkshire CCC m8..

That's just the papers trying to make it bigger than it really is....

Like the BBC putting words into the mouths of the YCCC peeps - "so would have any concerns about someone like this captaining the club ?"

"Well err maybe..."

Then its reported - "Senior spokesperson at YCCC said they had serious concerns about Darren Lehmann's future as captain etc.."

******* b0ll0x - he didn't say that - the BBC did !!

When you read cricketer's autobiographies (if that's your thing) you hear about some of the stuff said/shouted at teams by the Sri Lankans... sorry, but not a very nice bunch I'm afraid !!

The bloke admitted it, apologised, the apology was accepted by the original recipients etc.. fine him, ban him temporarily, he's endured enough from the press... that's it - now get the **** on with it !

If chucker Muralitharan shouted "white fat bald b4st4rd" would anyone say anything ? I doubt it !!

Really annoying !
Old 21 January 2003, 03:55 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Jerry*

It was only my opinion I was expressing not that of the papers, I was looking at it as if it were the man on the street behaiving like this at his place of work.

My argument is with the outdated authorities and their outdated beliefs/rules, which need to be updated in the majority of global sports, I couldnt give a toss what the media think, its 2003 there should be no place for racism in sport/the workplace life in general and regardless who is being racist, be it an Australian or a Sri Lankan cricketer or the guy that runs the Kebab shop down your road, there should be no place for it in society and im not going to defend anyone guilty of it, having said that i take the same dim view of anyone using the race card when they feel like it.

Dave
Old 21 January 2003, 11:27 PM
TheScooby
Scooby Regular

Angry

Hmmm, after reading what seems to be a more accurate account of the issue; It seems that Lehman said his little comments when he was back in the players area and the then injured Murilithuran(?) was in the area and got the earful of what Lehman had to say. Murilithuran(?) was probably pretty pissed off at the down-right sh*tty treatment that he has received from the Australian public, media and the cricket team and when he heard this, thought it right to tell the appropriate people about it. Good on him, my opinion of Lehman just went down a few notches because now it seems that it wasn't so heat of the moment after all..... Blatant off the field racism has no part in cricket or any other sportFULLSTOP.

TheScooby