Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Question

Whats happened then Paul??
Old 14 January 2003, 10:18 AM
Fulham71
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The ground has been sold out BUT back in September despite Mr Fayed stating several times since then that his first aim was to get the club back to the cottage

As usual no official comment from the club
Old 14 January 2003, 10:20 AM
Fulham71
Scooby Regular

I have just sent the following email to Brude Langham who is the managing director

What is going on !!!!

I believe along with many others that its about time that the Club make a truthful & honest statement about what is going on at the club.

IF the actions of Mr Fayed are honourable then now is the time to tell the fans what is going on. Resentment is already running high, you only need to read the clubs official message board to see this.

I dont want to see the name of my club tarnished by ugly scenes which could be caused by some supporters. Please act now before things get way out of hand.

Old 14 January 2003, 10:32 AM
Fulham71
Scooby Regular

Guardian Quote

Fulham in deal to sell ground

Paul Kelso
Tuesday January 14, 2003
The Guardian

Fulham last night admitted they have agreed to sell Craven Cottage to a finance and development company, adding to fears that the club may never return to its historic riverside home in west London.
The club confirmed that Fulham River Projects Limited, a finance and development company, agreed last September to buy the ground from Fulham Stadium Limited, which has owned it since 1985.

Land registry records show the deal was struck on September 18, shortly before the club announced it was abandoning existing plans to redevelop the ground.

A spokesman for the club said: "Fulham River Projects Limited is a finance and development company which was set up by our solicitors to develop Craven Cottage. It is already public knowledge that Fulham may be forced to develop a stadium away from the Craven Cottage site and this is part of that potential precautionary future strategy."

The club declined to say who owns Fulham River Projects Limited. Records show that the company has a single director, Sophie Hamilton, a senior partner in leading property solicitors Forsters, based in Mayfair. Ms Hamilton said yesterday she had no personal stake but declined to comment further.

In September 2001 Forsters acted for the property developers which bought the old Harrods Depository in Brompton Road for £52.5m. Harrods is owned by Fulham's chairman Mohamed Al Fayed.

The proposed sale of Craven Cottage adds to the uncertainty that has surrounded Fulham's future since the stadium was mothballed at the end of last season.

Last May the club said it would play at QPR's Loftus Road ground for two seasons before returning to a new 28,000 all-seater Craven Cottage. In September, however, the club said it might not move back. That was followed last month by confirmation that the club would not proceed with the 28,000-seat redevelopment because the cost, which is in excess of £100m, was prohibitive.

"If the proposed Craven Cottage were now to be built according to the original plans the cost would exceed £100m," said a spokesman. "To saddle the club with this magnitude of debt would be foolhardy."

The club wanted to increase revenue by raising the capacity of the new Craven Cottage to 38,000 and to secure permission for concerts and other events. Hammersmith and Fulham Council is unlikely to grant planning permission for such a large stadium and the club has begun searching for alternative sites.

Tom Greatrex of the supporters group Back to the Cottage, condemned the sale of the ground: "These revelations add to the suspicion and worry of a many supporters that the club has no intention of building a replacement Craven Cottage. To change the ownership of the ground just weeks before they announced they had no plans to proceed with the original redevelopment plan will be of huge concern. Increasingly it looks as if Fulham fans have been betrayed by the chairman."
Old 14 January 2003, 11:25 AM
555 Markus
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Paul...you could always change your number plate to CFC

Seriously, you have my sympathy. I now just what its like having witnessed our battles with Marler in the 80s.

Sadly, I doubt Fulham will return to Craven Cottage. The worst move the club made was leaving the ground. Look how long it took Charlton to get back to the Valley.
Old 14 January 2003, 02:02 PM
Fulham71
Scooby Regular

CHAIRMAN'S STATEMENT

Tue 14th Jan 2003

Statement from Mohamed Al Fayed, Chairman of Fulham Football Club:

'I want to make it perfectly clear that Fulham Football Club have not, I repeat, not sold Craven Cottage. The ground still belongs to us and will remain so.

It is still my ambition for Fulham Football Club to have a stadium that everyone, especially the fans, would be proud of. We are still exploring a number of options including looking at the possibility of re-developing Craven Cottage in a simpler more affordable way which would not threaten our financial survival.

If that should prove impossible we are also looking at other possibilities which might allow us to build the stadium I and all the fans want within the borough of Hammersmith and Fulham. Those precautions include working in partnership with various development and finance companies. To that end we have raised £15 million to help with operating expenses of the Club and to take the stadium project forward.

As part of the package of sensible precautionary measures we have put in place we have set up a structure which would make it possible for us to sell Craven Cottage if as a last resort we are forced to do so.

I am disappointed that some Fulham fans have so unquestioningly believed this morning's press reports. And I am deeply hurt by the abuse I have received from so-called supporters who seem so quickly to have forgotten the personal sacrifices I have made for this club and the amount of my own money I have spent to achieve success for Fulham.

These people don't appreciate what I have done to rescue their club and bring it to the Premiership in such a short space of time. I had hoped for a little more gratitude and understanding but I am sure that I can count on the ongoing support of the genuine Fulham fans.'

Old 15 January 2003, 02:53 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

Fulham71,

A little off subject, but do you go to the football much ? If you do, have you met a mad girls friend of mine call Jack Franklin ?

Slim, Blond and good looking....

Cheers Phill C