Notices
Sport General sport discussion

Arrogant ****

Search this Thread

Old 17 September 2002, 12:48 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Valencia's Kily Gonzalez has launched a scathing attack on Michael Owen ahead of tonight's opening Champions League game at the Mestalla Stadium.

The Argentinia star describes the reigning European Footballer of the Year as overrated and claims he his not in the same class as the likes of Gabriel Batistuta and Diego Maradona.

He said: "Michael Owen is a good player, but he's far from being the best in the world.

"Batistuta is better than him and there is no way he can even compare to Diego Maradona. What has happened is that the media have hyped him up."

Gonzalez then hit out at the standard of English football and said he aims to avenge Argentina's defeat by England in the World Cup by helping Valencia defeat the Reds tonight.

"The Spanish league is the best in the world because of the players in it and the performances of the clubs," he added.

"You just have to take a look at the statistics from European competitions and see which teams have been in the finals and won in recent years. The Premiership does not have the same class.

"It's always an honour to play English sides. When you win it's a big deal but when you lose it stings more than it does against teams from other countries.

"If we beat Liverpool it will atone for what happened to Argentina at the World Cup in Japan."
Old 17 September 2002, 02:33 PM
seejay555
Scooby Regular

(And not just because I'm a Red!)
I seriously do think St Michael of Owen is over-rated. He is still learning. He was "praised" beyond his years after "that" goal against Argentina but he can't yet be called world class. He's certainly not in the same league as Maradonna, Pele, Van Basten to name but a few world class players. Maybe in 3/4 more years, when he has consistently proved himself at the highest level (European club football, Euro Champs and World Cups), he might then be called a world class player.
A bit premature at the mo so maybe Gonzalez has a point?

[Edited by seejay555 - 9/17/2002 2:34:33 PM]
Old 17 September 2002, 03:58 PM
wheelwright
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I second the above
Old 17 September 2002, 04:04 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

I have never particularly rated him - always thought he was a poor second to Robbie Fowler. Now he is an even poorer second to Milan Baros
Old 17 September 2002, 04:54 PM
Little Miss WRX

Cool

Michael Owen is a good international player, but he is not World Class.
Old 17 September 2002, 05:14 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

He's not in the same class as the above mentioned players. He seems to rely solely on his pace, which seems to have decreased in the past year or so.

Defenders have wised up to him.

He's still a quality player, and may become world class.
Old 24 September 2002, 09:13 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

He will become a world class player - once he signs for a decent club
Old 24 September 2002, 11:16 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

He is World Class!! How can he not be when he is the starting striker for England and has scored in 2 world cups and the European championship. He is a class finisher, has pace, can beat a defender andis good in the air for his height. He is in a dip in form at the moment. As they say form is temporary but class is permanent. By the way I'm a Man Utd follower.

I do however agree with what Mr Gonzalez said except the crap about avenging England
Old 24 September 2002, 12:57 PM
Little Miss WRX

Cool

When you compare him to real World Class players, the lad has much to improve on. No way is he near to Pele.

I like his style, but to say he is World Class is over-rating him IMHO.
Old 24 September 2002, 01:04 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Pele is in a totally different league. He is one of the greatest players to play the game.

For me world class requires the player to be at the top of the game for several years, playing in the biggest tournaments and competitions in domestic and international football, while and performing at a consistent level.

I think Michael Owen does this
Old 24 September 2002, 02:59 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

World class means scoring when you have to - England's form in the last two world cups, I'm afraid to say, demonstrates our lack of "World Class" strikers (amongst other things ).

Owen's good - World class he aint - Yet !
Old 24 September 2002, 03:51 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Owen reminds me of Fowler, they were both different class in their first 2-3 seasons with Liverpool, scoring for fun, then injury's caught up with them and they were never the same, IMHO Fowler was the better player, he had everything as a striker he could head it score from free kicks, crack them in from outside the box as well as the predatory instincts inside the box as well as having better vision, i'd be interested to hear what Liverpool fans think of the two, admitedly Fowler never did it in the World Cup but he went off the boil before France 98, and never scored as many as Owen has for England.

Dave
Old 24 September 2002, 09:04 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

That is the only comparison you can make about Owen and Fowler - their injuries, then lack of form. Owen will never have the predatory instinct that Fowler had when he was on form - Fowler had a good teacher in Ian Rush. Owen has one mode of play which he relies on and that is his speed, which is sadly lacking at the moment.

Personally, I think Owen [this is only IMHO and I will probably get slated for it]is a lazy little git and if things don't go his way, he just disappears out of the game. He gives up far too easily when chasing a ball and he never seems to be in the right position which is - in front of goal!!!

Thank God we have a budding star in Milan Baros, he has the makings of being a world class striker and he is only 20 yrs old. The goals he scored against Bolton & West Brom were superb. He never gives up!

Can you tell I am not an Owen fan? Spose cos I spouted all this off - he will have a blinder of a game tomorrow against Basel... I can dream can't I?
Old 24 September 2002, 11:21 PM
Little Miss WRX

Cool

I pretty much agree with you there Lynne.

When Owen is good, he is damned good, I wish Villa had him.

But he is not consistent and even at his best, he is just not comparable to top flight footballers. To do that would be basically dissing the amazing natural talent that the World Class footballers possess.
Old 24 September 2002, 11:49 PM
south-star
Scooby Regular

Owen is also crap at penalties.He has missed 6 out of the 12 he has taken,whereas Le-Tissier scored 48 out of the 49 he took as a pro.
More here
Old 25 September 2002, 08:49 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Wink

You women don't half talk some rubbish!

I'll back this up later when I have time. Just a thought though. Who was voted European Player of the year recently........Mr Owen, following in a long line of "World Class Players"

And yes I do know the difference between the World and Europe
Old 25 September 2002, 10:45 AM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

I don't think I spout rubbish at all! I have seen Owen in 100's of games, as I have a Kop season ticket and also do the majority of away games. Owen got voted European Player probably based on the good games he had. You cant tell me that whoever voted for him had seen all his games. OK yes he can be good but he is certainly not world class. He barely breaks sweat in most of his games! Don't forget that tele coverage doesn't show it all.
Old 25 September 2002, 01:40 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Defo Chelle a dearth of good English players. Thats why so many foreigners in Premier league.
Old 25 September 2002, 05:15 PM
SwinYE5
Scooby Regular

Michael Owen, world class? Don't, you'll have me on the floor in a minute!

And to think he was going to show everybody what he could do in the WC, and what an outstandingly world class player he was... What did he do apart from score one goal against Brazil again?
Old 25 September 2002, 05:41 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Redkop - just so we are all clear - in your title your refer to an "Arrogant ****" is that Kily Gonzales or Michael Owen
Old 25 September 2002, 11:09 PM
SwinYE5
Scooby Regular

Wink

Done well again tonight didn't he?

That Baros looks handy though. Him and Diouf could be the partnership soon. Oh, I forgot, it'd have to be Heskey with one of them.
Old 25 September 2002, 11:23 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Jasey - no it wasn't about Owen really - it was how he described English footie as a whole and how scathing he was of it.

I firmly stand by my opinion of Owen - lazy, idle git [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

They want to loan him out for a year to a foreign team - who have bigger name players than him and let him fight for a place in the team, not let him have a guaranteed 1st team place all the time. There's no way Houllier would put the European Player of the Year in the reserves, beneath Owen's dignity that!! double [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 26 September 2002, 08:19 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Redkop - agree he needs to go to a bigger club - but not on loan - real danger he could become England's Anelka !

Houlier should sell him while he can get a V good deal !
Old 26 September 2002, 04:07 PM
seejay555
Scooby Regular

A million miles from world class last night, I'd say
Old 26 September 2002, 04:18 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Just how many chances is Houllier gonna give him to get back his previous form. I always thought that no player was bigger than the club
Old 28 September 2002, 08:28 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

I guess I will have to take all that back

Old 28 September 2002, 11:56 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Wink

To quote myself

form is temporary but class is permanent
You only have to look at the blokes form in the Premiership to realise he is world class player. Even with his recent "blip" in form he's scored 30 goals in 40 games....... tell me how many clubs in the world would turn that down.
Old 29 September 2002, 12:41 AM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Not many!