Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Read and noted...sir
Old 10 October 2001, 07:20 PM
Bitten Hero
Scooby Regular

A very good point Alex, thanks. Shan't repeat my full answer here as it's on page 2 of the main page (near the end). Basically I said that we (people like GMay and myself who organise things in the E Anglia area) take these things <B>extremely</B> seriously and always insist on sensible driving. A lot of effort goes into the planning, and the 'leaders' of each small group are picked to be the more sensible ones, generally (e.g. PTMW, Dave T-S, StanS, Mark Champion, me, etc). We have had lots of very positive feedback from people on these runs about how sensible everyone was, while still thoroughly enjoying the run.

The legal standpoint is an interesting one - time to find a lawyer on Scoobynet to resolve it?

Thanks for bringing this to people's attention.

Cheers
Richard
Old 10 October 2001, 10:02 PM
Krud
Scooby Regular

Thanks, Alex.

VVEERRYYYY interesting!

Keith

Old 11 October 2001, 08:59 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Guys n Gals,

Thanks for taking time to read the post mentioned above, it is important that Scoobynet and the SIDC are not brought into disrepute.

Fortunately, mostly, the organisers on this board are very concious of road safety and adhering to the Road Traffic Act (ie. not using the roads as a race track, as track days are for this purpose).

If anyone wishes to try and organise some track days for next year, I should be able to assist, perhaps a small group of us could get together to do this.

Thanks again, Alex
Old 11 October 2001, 10:37 AM
simon_prickett
Scooby Regular

Anyone thought of talking to someone like Easytrack as they not have lots of time at Kemble airfield - I've been twice this year and enjoyed it.

Just a thought, I'd investigate if people were interested - we'd probably need about 25 cars.

Simon.
Old 11 October 2001, 01:49 PM
Huge
Scooby Regular

Wink

Richard,

Dave T-S = sensible??

Must have a rummage in the dictionary for the definition

Hugh

Trending Topics

Old 11 October 2001, 01:56 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

likewise @ Puff

you've obviously not seen the way he plays Counter-Strike

seriously though its an important topic.

steve
Old 11 October 2001, 02:19 PM
Bitten Hero
Scooby Regular

Heh heh

You know what I mean though. Both PTMW and Dave T-S take these things are seriously as I do. I've done a couple of Midlands runs a year or so ago and the speeds were ridiculous - I remember people doing &gt;110mph along a straight but bumpy back road and me resolutely deciding never to do one of these things again. The only things that changed my mind were that (a) I organise them now , and (b) the people who do our runs are sensible.

Cheers
Richard

[This message has been edited by Bitten Hero (edited 11 October 2001).]
Old 11 October 2001, 07:37 PM
MarkCSC
Scooby Regular

Smile

I was very impressed on the Ring of Cambridge run with the standard of driving. Even though I drive like an old granny nobody tailgated or tried to overtake me. When the other group behind caught up with us they slowed down to put a few minutes between us and them. I really enjoyed it and it was all kept at sensible speeds.
If another event like this takes place, every driver must understand the standard that is expected of them and adhear to it.

Mark

Old 12 October 2001, 08:01 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Huge:
<B>Richard,

Dave T-S = sensible??

Must have a rummage in the dictionary for the definition

Hugh [/quote]

You are in for a slap boyo

Incredible as it may seem, I am sensible when it is absolutely necessary......

Old 12 October 2001, 08:06 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Mark Champion:
<B>I was very impressed on the Ring of Cambridge run with the standard of driving. Even though I drive like an old granny nobody tailgated or tried to overtake me. When the other group behind caught up with us they slowed down to put a few minutes between us and them. I really enjoyed it and it was all kept at sensible speeds.
If another event like this takes place, every driver must understand the standard that is expected of them and adhear to it.

Mark

[/quote]

Mark
It was mentioned in the thread in the general forum that the tail end charlie has to speed to stay with a group - when I led the last Ring group off we had the TVR struggling to keep up ( actually his exhaust was grounding on the switchback roads ) - the simple answer to that was every time I went through lights, across junctions etc I slowed down on the other side to allow everyone to catch up.....it can be made easy for everyone with a bit of thought!

Old 12 October 2001, 08:08 AM
Huge
Scooby Regular

Wink

***GULP!!!***

...starting to worry about seeing you next time Dave...

Hugh

Old 15 October 2001, 09:29 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Back to the top.

Boys n Girls - FYI this isn't a dig at anyone, I simply thought you should all be aware of this thread.

Rgds, Alex
Old 15 October 2001, 10:56 PM
Jimmy 5door
Scooby Newbie

Cool

Well I can understand that everybody is concerned about road safety. BUT, please tell me why you all bought 200 + bhp 4wd rally derived cars and pay loads in insurance. Why not own a mini metro ?

It seems to be ok to meet at a pub and drink all the time. Surely driving and not drinking would be safer than drinking and then driving home as people seem to at the moment. Will Scoobynet be issuing guide lines on how much to drink?

My opinion is that you only go as fast as you want to go. If this is not the case and you react to pressure, then you should not have a licence. Let the police be the police and scoobynet should just carry on being a forum for like minded subaru owners.

Why has the webmaster suddenly concluded that he may be sued? Surely scoobynet has been running for some time now, we do not need another Big Brother telling us what, where and how.

Everybody enjoys their subarus in different ways.

Jimmy

Old 16 October 2001, 09:22 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Jimmy

Althought some valid points about drinking and driving, which I think you'll find the majority of people do not have more than one pint when the car is involved.

As for paying lots of insurance and owning a 220Bhp+ car giving you the right to drive fast, I think perhaps you need to re-think your logic there. It is true to say people should drive within their limits, weather conditions and the law.

The webmaster was not trying to be holy'r than thou, he has expressed concern and has simply asked us to think about things, and drive safely for the sake of other road users as much as ourselves.

I think this thread has served its purpose, and no more value will be got from discussions here, so I'm closing it.

Rgds, Alex