Southern (England) Southern Meetings & Events

Bentley 2002 - questions for you.

Search this Thread

Old 11 June 2001, 12:03 AM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Cool

After seeing the numbers at Bentley yesterday I certainly think we could have our own day there.

If you are all happy with this part of the world, there is always this place
Old 11 June 2001, 12:08 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ray T,
Dunno about costs involved, this is one of the things I have to discuss with Barry. We/I was not charged to attend the porsche meet and I doubt that they would have shelled out and just let us come along so I'm guessing it could be funded by the gate/cafe/train fees.

XRS,
sounds like an idea, I'll check out the link.

As anyone who talked to me yesterday will know, I am trying to arrange other social events, primarily in the south east, so if you have any ideas of places for meets let me know. Plus keep your eyes peeled for messages about this type of thing as well.
Old 11 June 2001, 11:35 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Question

Yes, another bentley thread, I know, I know, but there is a reason.

I was talking to Barry @ Bentley, and he was well happy for us showing our support for bentley by turning up.

As we had 48 cars there, and this was with dodgy weather, there is the possibility of more people coming if the weather was better. Also us being 'guests' at a porsche meet may have put a few people off coming. so.....

How many of you would be interested in a purley subaru event at Bentley next year? Or would you prefer to look at other metal, so we go with the porsches, or maybe a Jap only show, eg; Skylines, Supra's, Pulsars, Evos, oh, and something called a subaru

just gauging feelings as Barry is happy for us to have our 'own' event, rather than sharing one. And I'd like to see if it'd be worth it.

The reason I ask now is to try and secure a date for next year, as they do get booked up fairly quickly. I'm looking at moving the date to july/august, so the weather might be better.

So, how many would come to a scooby only event in jull/augst next year? i know it's hard to give a definite yes as year is a long time, but a rough idea would be nice.
Old 11 June 2001, 11:57 AM
Ray T
Scooby Regular

Markus,
sounds like a good idea, maybe worth contacting some of the parts suppliers/waxwizard etc they may be interested in putting on some stalls etc,
one question is there a hiring cost involved or does bentley make on entrance fees/sales etc.

Ray t

ps it was quite a good day between the spots of rain
Old 11 June 2001, 01:16 PM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Marcus,
Definitely up for next year where ever or with who ever (Evo's would be good)

Some stalls would be a great idea (I'll start saving now)
The Sussex crew did have a stall, though it was in Col's boot (selling knocked off clear repeters and the odd stereo)

Iain.
Old 11 June 2001, 02:03 PM
555 Markus
Scooby Regular

Talking

Iain...you forgot the dodgy boost gauge that someone bought...oh yeah, it was you

Markus...I enjoyed yesterday and it was the second year I'd been. Would defo be up for it again next year and any similar type events in the meantime.

Mark
Old 11 June 2001, 02:33 PM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

What gauge?

You mean the one I broke last night (I think)
Iain

Trending Topics

Old 11 June 2001, 03:02 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

good, good, nice to see some favorable responses.

Will wait and see for other responses, plus have a thing about what to do.
Old 11 June 2001, 04:49 PM
SteveC
Scooby Newbie

Smile

Markus, it was a very nice day in a good location, and we both enjoyed our first meet.. look forward to some more, solo Subes, jointly with whoever, don't mind.

Just a thought, if you re-arrange the Bentley date to July/Aug, then it'll be in the main school hols period and quite a few people may be away, = fewer attendees? Also, it's actually quite often wetter in those months than in June (although warmer)..

Thanks also for letting me know that we can ask for the SIDC £5 food contribution to be given to charity - good idea.

Nice to meet you, if only briefly. Hope to meet again.

Steve (P1).
Old 11 June 2001, 05:17 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Next year sounds good. Like the idea of a Jap event with Evo's, Nissans, Toyota etc.

But if the Scoob turn-out increases then we may not have room at Bentley for any other Marque's.

The venue mentioned by XRS is O.K as a place but if I remember right there isn't much parking other than the general publics car park.
Unless of course they have expanded since I last went karting there.

What about Penshurts place near Tonbridge (I know they have car events at some point during the year).

Just some thoughts...........

[This message has been edited by Scott.T (edited 11 June 2001).]
Old 12 June 2001, 12:02 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Stef,
At this present time Bentley 2002 is a work in progress, just trying to see if people want the same format, scooby only, or scooby plus something else.

As for wether it would be a general meet or official SIDC meet, hmm, not sure, currently I guess it's a general meet but that could change. dunno.

i want to see how many are interesting in coming next year and the format.

[This message has been edited by Markus (edited 12 June 2001).]
Old 12 June 2001, 10:26 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Scott.T
Penshurst place is good, nice adventure playground for the kids, plus big parking.

Seems that someone is going to have a very busy time organising stuff.
Old 12 June 2001, 11:04 AM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Markus.
Are you talking about an official SIDC show or just a general Scoob meet?

Stef.
Old 12 June 2001, 08:56 PM
Col Stone
Scooby Regular

Hi Brilliant day on sunday, well up for next year!
Only no wife (got shouted at for booting it in the Lewis tunnel) Then got my windscreen chipped!
Would be nice with some EVO's ect but please stop the Ferrari's, how In love with themselves.
Old 12 June 2001, 10:41 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Markus.
So let me get this right.
The Porsche club invite the SIDC to attend their show at Bentley.
You 'volunteer' to organise a meet their with backing from the club, even though it wasn't just open to members.
The club also subsidises members food by a fiver.
You then start off your own back to arrange a seperate meet there without any invlolvement from the club whatsover.
Bloody charming!
Is it me or does anyone else think this is a bit off?

Stef (speaking as Stef, not SIDC Stef).
Old 13 June 2001, 12:37 AM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

Cheers for that Markus,

I appreciate all everyone did to put it in place.
But i can honestly say the first person to mention bentley to me was a friend who is also an sidc member who remembered the event from last year.
Neither of us received anything telling us about this years event till i read your posts and came down with the sx crew after meeting up with them the week before.
I also didnt know about the £5 rebate thingy for food until after the event.

Lets all get together and make 2002 even better, if someone could just book us a slot with a nice warm weekend.....
Old 13 June 2001, 10:14 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Stef,
Sorry, the porsche club did NOT invite SIDC to Bentley, well not in 2001 anyway.

Here's how the whole thing got started.

Someone on the iwoc mail list was asking for details about contacting Bentley as a chap there had expressed interest in purchasing his 22B at last years event.

This got me to checking the SIDC site and scoobynet threads to see if the Bentley meet was on again for this year, as I'd not seen any postings on it.

Then came the whole 'SIDC, anti social events thing' which I do NOT want to get into again.

So, I got an email from someone (who I won't name unless they say something) and I phoned the chap and had an interesting chat, found out why nothing had been done about Bentley, and was given Peter Skelton's details. Peter is the Sussex Regional Organiser for Porsche Club GB.

I phoned Peter and we had a chat about various aspects of the whole Bentley situation. I asked if SIDC had contacted him about Bentley, and he said not and was not suprised by this. I therefore asked if he would mind if some of us subaru drivers could come along as we had done in previous years. Peter said he'd be delighted if we came along, he said that he's a petrol head and the scoobs would give people something else to look at, plus he said that we were a great bunch and made the previous years events even better.

I then posted messages on here about getting people to come.

The rest is history.

Yes, I did ask SIDC to send out flyers for the event, but any member can do this for any event, if I'm not mistaken. So I did nothing wrong.

Yes, I asked for club funds, which were given. and I am very grateful for that.

as for "You then start off your own back to arrange a seperate meet there without any invlolvement from the club whatsover."

Yes, and the problem is what exaclty? can I not arrange my OWN meets??????? Since when can SIDC members not arrange their own meets? Is this a new rule I missed.

OK, so the SIDC was involved, flyers, food, etc... with Bentley, but did they actually setup the meet, NO, I DID! and I appreacte the thanks that people at the meet gave me and also the comments on other threads for Pete Croney.

At present I'm and putting out feelers to see if people would come again and if a scooby only day would be better. if I choose to setup the meet then so be it. i can arrage whatever I want, you cannot and will not stop me from doing this.
Old 13 June 2001, 10:39 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

ptholt:
SIDC backing was thus:

SIDC sent out flyers, both post and email, advertising the event plus giving my mobile number as contact point for those without email.

The food contribution is/was a tricky thing. As we were parked up in the main grounds, we could not have a BBQ (which barry said bentley would have done, if the weather had been better) plus as there is a cafe I did not feel that we could, for example, setup a tressletable and feed off that, OK, so I could have done, but it would have been for SIDC members only, and quite a few people were not SIDC members (yet, I might add!). So, i came up with the picnic idea, we all bring our own food and maybe sit down together and eat, possibly share food (yeah, like i'm gonna share my grub ).

A few people suggested that this was a sound idea but maybe I should get some money from the SIDC to cover members expenditures for the food. So I explained the situation to SIDC and Tony Quinn (treasurer) said that the club would make the provision of five pounds per membership card. i was to take members details (name, membership number, address) and they would be reimbursed at a later date.

I am grateful to the sidc for this backing.

As the event was not an 'official' SIDC day, that could well explain why there were no 'current' committe members (a few ex-committe were there, and I'd quite like to know what one of them was actually handing out, and selling from their boot!) plus it explains why there was no club stand.

hope this explains things.

Old 13 June 2001, 11:18 AM
SuzyQ
Scooby Regular

yes, 2002 is cool.
dont see why it should involve the sidc, as they couldnt get their heads out of each others a***S...to organise bentley 2001.
this event would not have gone ahead,if not for markus...and the ususal suspects.
sidc only sent flyers out and offered the £5 per members card, because markus kept pushing for some kind of involvement by them.
another reason for not having sidc in on 2002 is that some of the people i spoke to werent sidc members..we would like it to be open to a wider range of people...that way some of them might actually turn up...unlike the sidc high hats, who seem to spend most of their time when not up eachothers botties, counting their huge stash of membership fees in their magic kingdom..

ps..whoever mentioned the lack of money from sidc,,markus was collecting membership numbers to send off to them for reimbursement.if you were there,and you contact markus,i'm sure sidc will hold good on their promise...i'm sure i saw at least 50,000 members!!.. ..of course ..no commitee members..maybe ky jelly was on special offer that day!!...
and hey just for markus...regarding that 'offer' you got the other day...never!!!never join the dark side of the force!!!
Old 13 June 2001, 11:24 AM
SuzyQ
Scooby Regular

oh..one last rant..
who was it who was invited back for 2002?
was it rosemary the telephone operator??
nooooo
was it sarge??
noooo
was it sidc the mild mannered money counters??
noooo
was it markus,the guy whos giving it a go at least??
COULD BE!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 13 June 2001, 11:34 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Hong Kong Phooey number one super guy!
Old 13 June 2001, 12:47 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

What backing did Markus get from the sidc just out of interest ?

I didnt see anyone in any official sidc capacity helping out any problems (prosche owners, parking etc), i didnt see any food contribution other than that brought by ourselves (following the post suggesting we take a picnic), i didnt see an sidc stand or merchandise...
Surely if its an sidc thing, perhaps some more of the main members should have attended and do something proactive..

Don't mean that to sound narky but i've been a member for a little while and i've still to meet anyone from the sidc like a rep etc, or a stall at a meet.
Old 13 June 2001, 01:10 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

OK,
I started this thread to find out who was up for a repeat performance, and what format would be good.

Is it a bit off? well maybe, but maybe what is off is the fact that SIDC did not organise the event themselves, for whatever reason. This was my point from day one.

Anyway, SuzyQ has said that she is more than happy to organise a meet a bentley for next year for us scooby owners, so if you have any comments, please email her (see her profile for her email address).

Suzy has stated that the event will be open to all subaru impreza owners, ie; same as this year's meet, and it's possible it will be scooby only or a mixed meet. this is still to be decided and is the main point of this thread.

She has stated that if the SIDC want this to be an 'official' event, whatever that actually means, then they should contact her via email to discuss it.

Thanks to all who responed about coming next year, hope you still will, just speak to suzy about it.

i will not bow out of discussing the possibility of aranging Bentley 2002, and leave you in the hands of suzy, as I have other things that I need to plan, which you may soon hear about.
Old 13 June 2001, 04:49 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Sad....very, very sad.
I think I'll just leave you to it now.

Stef.
(edited after reading Suzy's post properly)

[This message has been edited by Stef (edited 13 June 2001).]
Old 13 June 2001, 05:07 PM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Cool

Although its early days Markus, you can count on me to be there if your organising it

Ronnie
Old 13 June 2001, 05:07 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by SuzyQ:
<B>yes, 2002 is cool.
dont see why it should involve the sidc, as they couldnt get their heads out of each others a***S...to organise bentley 2001.
this event would not have gone ahead,if not for markus...and the ususal suspects.
sidc only sent flyers out and offered the £5 per members card, because markus kept pushing for some kind of involvement by them.
another reason for not having sidc in on 2002 is that some of the people i spoke to werent sidc members..we would like it to be open to a wider range of people...that way some of them might actually turn up...unlike the sidc high hats, who seem to spend most of their time when not up eachothers botties, counting their huge stash of membership fees in their magic kingdom..

ps..whoever mentioned the lack of money from sidc,,markus was collecting membership numbers to send off to them for reimbursement.if you were there,and you contact markus,i'm sure sidc will hold good on their promise...i'm sure i saw at least 50,000 members!!.. ..of course ..no commitee members..maybe ky jelly was on special offer that day!!...
and hey just for markus...regarding that 'offer' you got the other day...never!!!never join the dark side of the force!!![/quote]

I can take criticism but will not take this.

My dear, I'm sure you will be a wonderful wife for someone.

In the meantime, please keep your obscene thoughts in your mind and away from a bulletin board that is read by many children
Old 13 June 2001, 05:37 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Pete,
i have seen far worse langauge and comments on this BBS 'which is read by children'.

Simon, or any moderator, if you wish to close/remove the thread or suzy's comments please do so, but ask her first, 'a woman scorned' and all that

Pete, is this your personal opinion or the opinion of SIDC, or the chairman of SIDC. If it's your personal opinion then huh? it says nothing about YOU as person, just as the SIDC, thus you should make it plain and clear that your comments are coming from the chairman of SIDC.

now I could go off on one of my 'freedom of speech' rants, as some have known me to do in the past, but i won't as things will descend into anarchy and fire and brimstone will fall from the sky, etc, etc...

Oh, and no doubt suzy will put her own comments on this.
Old 13 June 2001, 05:47 PM
James_Harvey
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Erm... Im confused... Who are these esteemed royalty that comprise SIDC?

I think we forget how SIDC events are organised... BY THE MEMBERS, ON A VOLUNARY BASIS.

There are no paid members of SIDC, we organise stuff because we like to get together with fellow enthusiats and HAVE FUN! Any member can organise an activity, it doesnt have to be an alredy overworked committee member!

Exchanges such as the above make my blood boil, and why I think more and more that Scoobynet and SIDC are almost becoming rivals. Sheesh I hate politics.

Markus, you are a member of SIDC right? What therefore, is preventing you from organising an SIDC event and being the SIDC man on point? I think you proved you can do it... Does there really have to be a committee member at everything?
What was stopping all the SIDC members from helping out the Porsche club? Perhaps they did eh?

I volunteered to be an SIDC organiser, because I wanted to see some decent social events in Essex, so I elected to help the club rather than damage it by loudly proclaiming non-SIDC (sounds like a club in its own right eh? The non-SIDC club) events and berating the club for not organising things. Perhaps you could consider something similar?

We have a great club in SIDC. Perhaps you should all think about what you could do for the club, after all, you get out what you put in right?

James.
Not on the SIDC committe, but happy to help out and run point if I have to

[This message has been edited by James_Harvey (edited 13 June 2001).]
Old 13 June 2001, 05:48 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Markus

This woman's comments are aimed at me and my fellow committee members.

As such my reply in is whatever capacity she aimed them.

I have always enjoyed a good debate and recognise a good case when one is put to me.

The first sign that a case does not exist is when the debate becomes personal and insulting. If it becomes obscene and insulting, especially in a public place, I will not take part.

End of.

Old 13 June 2001, 05:48 PM
lordlucan
Scooby Regular

Thanks Marcus for organising a good day, couldnt believe the creche arrangements either, super people !
Do we need SIDC in the south east, I think no.

Looking forward to 2002....

Quick Reply: Bentley 2002 - questions for you.