Southern (England) Southern Meetings & Events

Cambridge run - the results...

Search this Thread

Old 22 April 2001, 06:02 PM
Richard Gledhill
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Firstly, thanks to all who came - I think the run from Barrington through to Grafham Water was great fun, and I think Grahame and I can pat ourselves on the backs Particularly Grahame, as he came up with most of the route, including the lurvely colour photos on the front of the pace notes! Me, I was just along for the ride

Great turn-out - about 17 cars or so Grahame? - including a Forester Turbo and an Evo. Nice to have some variety.

The food was excellent at the pub - £7.50 for two course Sunday lunch, and top scrum too. Stef, Simon and others made a quick appearance (nice P1 Simon) and Stef made a quick killing on a boot-full of 'ring videos!

Lots of photos to come (yes, Stef, I know it's just another Subaru ) - I'll post links when I've got them sorted and uploaded.

A big thanks to those who did the Barrington->Grafham water run for driving sensibly - I think we all enjoyed the run, without doing silly speeds and driving dangerously. Unlike, I'm sorry to say, two cars en route to Barrington - an Evo and an Impreza - which crashed and I believe were written off. I gather the people involved are ok and all the best for getting over it soon guys. I've no intention of getting on my soap-box at this point (Dave T-S and I have made my feelings on this sort of thing quite plain before).

Hope everyone else enjoyed the drive, food and excellent company as much as I did, and we'll see you at the next one!

Cheers
Richard

[This message has been edited by Richard Gledhill (edited 22 April 2001).]
Old 22 April 2001, 06:58 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

Richard
Thanks to you and Grahame for arranging this.

Nice to meet some new faces and some *old* ones (you know who you are ).

Sorry not to stay for the whole of the run but had some boring correspondence to do at home that had to be done today and I didn't want to be doing it at 11pm.......next time we will hopefully do all the run!!

Cheers

Dave & Carolyn
Old 22 April 2001, 07:36 PM
judgejules
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi All,

Thanks for the great day out. It was nice to meet some of the extended scooby family Respect to Grahame and Richard for taking the time to organise the superb route and may there be many more outings in the future

Here is a little offering for you image fans out there. However, I purchased the camera this morning and had it in the wrong res but they are fine for the web

Old 22 April 2001, 07:45 PM
StanS
Scooby Regular

Talking

A big thanks to Richard and Graham for a brilliant day out - nice (safe) drive with a good number of fun bends, great food and most amazingly - good weather !! Thanks for all the hard work & time. (When's the next one ? )
Stan
Old 22 April 2001, 08:08 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Thanks for a well organised day out. Nice to put faces to BBS names.
Sorry I had to go early at Grafham but I was due home two hours earlier so I am now doing penance.
Surprised the picture of the red Scooby came out, I thought the sonic boom it emitted would have shook the camera!!

Nick
(Forester stb)
Old 22 April 2001, 08:13 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Many Thanks to Richard and Grahame for a great day.....(well organised lads), The food and the route both excellent, Nice to see some new faces and old ones too and even an Evo, Hope to see you all again soon, Just a shame the day was marred by 2 write offs, Like Dave not going to get on my soap box but what I will say is we all make mistakes and sadly that happened today.
Get well soon Pete.
Cheers Colin&Jamie.
Old 22 April 2001, 08:26 PM
Huge
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Many thanks to Richard & Grahame for organising such a good day out.

Always good to get out & have a natter even if I'd no idea what Stan was going on about when he started going all technical

The day was inevitably marred by the two accidents & I wish Pete & the unknown (to me) Evo driver a speedy recovery. We've all had the odd potential trouser-filling moment when driving & I can only say that it made me think about my driving a little more than usual this afternoon.

Looking forward to the next one, though may need to do some bribery at home first!

Thanks to Mike for the excellent navigation!!

Hugh
Old 22 April 2001, 09:13 PM
fast_wrx
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I can only add our thanks to the above. We both had an excellent day out, and very many thanks to Grahame and Richard. It was also great to put faces to internet names!
Can't wait for the next one, Cheers!

Philip & Angela.
Old 22 April 2001, 09:32 PM
MickeyG
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers Richard and Grahame, the meet was brilliant and the organisation superb. It was great to meet everyone, and swap scooby stories etc...

Jamie - are you slacking this time? You had the piccies up within minutes of the Much Haddam meet!!

Cheers Huge for the lift - once again you have wetted my appitite, the sooner I get my next scoob the better!!!!

See you all soon,

MikeyG

PS Stefs vid is pretty good too - I recommend it.

PPS I hope that you guys who's cars did not make it, are not hurt and things go OK with the insurance etc..
Old 22 April 2001, 10:45 PM
GMAY
Scooby Regular

Talking

Glad you guys all enjoyed it today. Cheers to Richard for helping put this thing together, and thanks to whoever organised the superb weather! The next run will be the "Cambridge Ring" (as many bends as the 'Ring in the Eiffel mountains, but not quite as quick, so Stef will find it a doddle!!).

Grahame
Old 22 April 2001, 11:30 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Guys,

For your information, the guy in the evo is now good and recovering at home.

I shalln't reveal any names, it isn't my place to do so but we have all learnt a lesson the hard way today.

Cem
Old 23 April 2001, 09:42 AM
Richard Gledhill
Scooby Regular

Thanks Cem - I appreciate that. As you say - a salutory lesson to us all. Hope to see them (and you!) at a future meet when they're back on the road again.

Richard
Old 23 April 2001, 10:55 AM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yeah likewise Richard,

Nice car btw.

Cem
Old 23 April 2001, 01:39 PM
Richard Gledhill
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Mine or his? Mine's a standard MY00! (Well, was, now has PPP + air filter + intercooler splitter + boost gauge + ... )

Richard
Old 23 April 2001, 05:48 PM
Pbone
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Just for point it was me that crashed the Subaru, and as for sly remarks earlier you would have thought that I wanted to do it on purpose, but of course nobody speeds in their Impreza now do they!I can assure I did not. Thankfully my passenger was not as badly hurt as I was, just cuts and bruises. My injurys consist of two lumps on my head, seat belt bruising, whiplash,many thousand glass splinters and 9 stitches in the back of my hand.I will not be posting pictures on the bbs because there are people who will probably say "serves him right"

Hope I did not spoil anybody's day too much.
P.S thanks to everybody who helped me out of the car very much appreciated. It's nice to know some people care!!!
Old 23 April 2001, 06:08 PM
Richard Gledhill
Scooby Regular

No interest in points scoring Pete - my main worry was that you and your passenger were ok. I have no doubt that no-one here would say "serves you right" under any circumstances - at the end of the day, these things happen, it's just that they're more likely to happen when "pressing on".

At the end of the day you're still here, which is the main thing, and I hope you and your passenger get well as soon as possible and re-join the Impreza posse - I want to see you at some Cambridge meets again!

Seriously, get well asap and hope to see you soon.

Richard
Old 23 April 2001, 11:03 PM
Gary- X705+++
Scooby Regular

Cool

Thanks to Grahame and Richard for sorting out a Top day out, nice to see a good turn out.

Sorry to Puff, stanS & fastwrx I couldn't hang around on the way back with you as I had a family due and had to get back.

Top day out, would recommend it to anyone who didn't attend.

Gary.

[This message has been edited by Gary- X705+++ (edited 23 April 2001).]
Old 24 April 2001, 04:59 PM
Pbone
Scooby Regular

MY APOLOGIE TO EVERYONE

Richard: I am in no way trying to score points on anybody and I am sorry if they thought that
When I wrote my last reply there was so many things going through my mind. I felt very stupid, very embarrassed, very confused and most of all very LUCKY. all rolled into one.
All I'm going to say is I hoped you all had a good time and I'm sorry for putting a black mark on the overall day. As of getting another scoob I'm just not sure. The car is very strong (as I have found out) but my heart and girlfriend are saying no. If I can make it to some local meetings then I would like to come.
Old 24 April 2001, 08:15 PM
StanS
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Re: the write-offs.
Most people think "there but for the grace of God ....". Everyone in their driving history has done something that, afterwards, has made them think (through the sweat and palpitations) "thank God I got away with that one". Unfortunately there are the few that can't, but can still say "thank God I walked away from that one". Hopefully, we all benefit from experience (direct and indirect), and continue to hope that our luck holds out, inspite of our (including everyone who owns a performance car) occasional "over-enthusiasm" and/or sheer misfortune.
Hope you get well soon.
Stan

(Editted:sorry if my wording is too heavy - I must have drunk too much holy water - its all thats left after the wine. But you know what I mean !)

[This message has been edited by StanS (edited 24 April 2001).]
Old 24 April 2001, 09:56 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Pbone:
<B>MY APOLOGIE TO EVERYONE

Richard: I am in no way trying to score points on anybody and I am sorry if they thought that
When I wrote my last reply there was so many things going through my mind. I felt very stupid, very embarrassed, very confused and most of all very LUCKY. all rolled into one.
All I'm going to say is I hoped you all had a good time and I'm sorry for putting a black mark on the overall day. As of getting another scoob I'm just not sure. The car is very strong (as I have found out) but my heart and girlfriend are saying no. If I can make it to some local meetings then I would like to come.[/quote]

Pete
You are still alive - which is the main thing.

You will be very welcome at the local meets I am sure.....even on your Prodrive pushbike...

Old 24 April 2001, 11:01 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Richard Gledhill:
<B>Unlike, I'm sorry to say, two cars en route to Barrington - an Evo and an Impreza - which crashed and I believe were written off[/quote]

Also not getting on my soap box, but this is the sort of thing that puts me off coming to these meets. Don't want to give the impression of being a 'do-gooder', as I like to make progress myself, but I wonder if it's one of these peer pressure things when there's a bunch of us together?
Old 25 April 2001, 10:33 AM
Pbone
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Dave T-S

You will be very welcome at the local meets I am sure.....even on your Prodrive pushbike...

[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Dave T-S
Looks like that will be the only thing I can insure
Old 25 April 2001, 10:35 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

Pbone -- did I meet you in Stortford Performance Tyres a couple of months ago or was that someone else?
Old 25 April 2001, 10:43 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

carl

How you drive is up to you. If you can't control yourself, then probably not a good idea (or similarly avoid doing a trackday).

If you can drive sensibly within a group of people, then there should be no worry about it.

We had 4 convoy sessions (getting there, 1st leg, 2nd leg & going home) & I can honestly say that speed limits were adhered to. Max acceleration out of 30s to National Limit & (in my case ) no letting off for corners when appropriate. 80 tops on dual carriageway on run home.

What was fun was all the stares from other road users & pedestrians of all types when groups of scoobs drove by

Old 25 April 2001, 11:35 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

Red face

I didn't say I couldn't control myself -- I just don't want to hold anyone else up
Old 25 April 2001, 11:56 AM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Carl,

When we go out for drives, the slow guys stay at the back (sorry, I shouldn't say slow, I should say sensible!)

Fact is, when you are out in a group, red mist takes over, the adrenaline flows, your vision narrows and before you know it, you are taking risks you wouldn't dream of doing only 10 minutes earlier.

I am glad you are ok Pbone.

Cem
Old 25 April 2001, 01:01 PM
Richard Gledhill
Scooby Regular

Then you should be doing it on the track. I know exactly what you mean - I've been guilty of it myself on one Midlands run - but it doesn't have to be like that. In fact, that's why I haven't been to any Midlands meets since.

It <B>is</B> possible to have a good run, driving in the way PTMW describes - without endangering others but still enjoying our superb cars. To me, it was one of the high points of the run on Sunday that we proved that.

Richard

[Not attacking anyone in particular - just enjoying an open discussion about attitudes towards these days. ]
Old 25 April 2001, 09:13 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I led one group off on Sunday - so had to practice what I preach LOL

The locals in the villages must have been surprised - eight or so Scoobs going through nose to tail doing 29.5 mph in the 30's

No law against checking if the acceleration of Puff's wagon immediately behind me was as good as mine in 1st and 2nd turning out of junctions out in the 60 limit though....
Old 25 April 2001, 10:45 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

& it was & better round the corners too

However the sound that Carolyn's car emitted was <I>schweet</I> Had the windows down & PF off (got to train Ez somehow ). That's probably why I was hanging off your bumper when you gave it large ( to 60!)
Old 26 April 2001, 04:35 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Smile

Thanks Grahame and Richard for a great day out, the lunch was excellent and it was good to see so many turn out and to put faces to handles. Shame that Pete decided to do a bit of off roading (how are ya mate, get well soon)and that another car was apparently written off. The mini convoys were a laugh and it was good to see an old git with a lawnmower glowing red and fist waving (made the day).
A few of us are meeting again this sunday at the flying fox on the A5 about 4 miles north of Dunstable, so if you wanna pop along feel free. Steve in the white evo was made welcome and enjoyed his day out as well.

Quick Reply: Cambridge run - the results...