Southern (England) Southern Meetings & Events

Essex Council Transport plans

Search this Thread

Old 11 March 2005, 09:20 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Essex Council Transport plans

I was in Chelmsford shopping last Saturday and Essex County Council had a public consultation stand about transport and also promoting the Speed kills message again. I spoke to one of the employees and he was explaining how they want us to reduce road usage by using the Bus and that eventually we will be forced out of our cars as personal transport is unsustainable and we must use public transport. Apparently there is a place on the county council web site where we can comment on this transport policy I have yet to find it. He seemed very upset that I didn’t agree that buses are the way of the future! Or that speed camera's will save lives and didn’t except my point that road deaths haven risen in Essex!

The point being that if we don’t want to ended up with the towns of Essex full of bus lanes and park and ride etc but no roads left for cars we need to comment on these transport plans or they will say every body supports buses.

If anybody cares and finds the page can they post it up may be in NSR for more people to comment.
Old 11 March 2005, 10:01 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some of the traffic calming measures in Havering have to be seen to be believed. One village (Havering-atte-Bower) has no less than 5 "pinch points" in less than a mile! The skid marks approaching these look like a F1 grid! My wife works for Havering council and I get to hear of some very strange traffic proposals!
JohnD
Old 12 March 2005, 07:18 AM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

I live in Harlow a town full of roundabouts, speed bumps and empty bus express ways but work in London and the stupidity that is London looks to spread to Essex. The Council employee was as evangelical as some of the anti car highways staff I meet through my work with some of the London councils. the days of having freedom of movement individually other than by bike or foot are numbered unless you are very rich or we start standing up and complaining now before it is to late and road pricing etc are in place and so much road capacity in key places has been converted to empty bus/cycle lanes that there is effectively nothing left for cars.

For those of you that doubt this try driving round the new Trafalgar Square coming from Regent St or the new Vauxhall Cross junction along Albert embankment where cars etc are deliberately stopped 50 metres back from a junction by a set of lights so that Buses and Taxi's can drive down the bus lane and fill up the 50 metre gap to the junction before the lights change. In fact Trafalgar square has been done so well that when the lights are green for cars the 50 metres is full of buses and only empty when red lights show for cars hence 15 minutes to travel 100 metres.
Old 12 March 2005, 04:43 PM
rhybeck
Scooby Regular

never mind there will aways be track days to work out those frustrations