Southern (England) Southern Meetings & Events

extremely short vid of the Exmoor run

Search this Thread

Old 10 July 2002, 11:13 AM
softwizz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I just finished a rough edit of what little footage I took, if anyone wants to have a decko. I've put a low-res DiVX of it up at http://www.islandsoftware.co.uk/exmoor_divx_lq.avi (about 23Mb).

The hq is anything from 75-200Mb in DiVX or MPEG1/2/4 depending on encoding, but I don't think I can use those sorts of web storage at present.

Feedback gratefully received. (I already noticed there's a glitch near the end - it isn't on the timeline, don't know what happened).

[Edited by softwizz - 10/7/2002 11:23:53 AM]
Old 10 August 2002, 11:38 AM
TAZMAN
Scooby Regular

Steve B did a very nice handbrake action, about the only time he slowed down the whole day!!! hmm another exmoor run...let me think...yep. Just give me enough notice to get my brake upgraded may have to dent the plastic for them...worth it just for another exmoor run!!

Oh and forgot to say..great video clip...apart from my over enthusiasim as I try to brake to avoid climbing into sue sidal's boot!! Would be great to get some in scoob footage from a car at the back of the pack next time...maybe with the speedo just out of shot!!

[Edited by TAZMAN - 10/8/2002 11:59:48 AM]
Old 10 August 2002, 11:53 PM
softwizz
Scooby Regular

Cool

You haven't been looking close enough! Look in the lower right hand of the screen during the in-car (and yep, it's me and not you guys, and my reg is not shown - but now I'm getting spooked!) On the other hand it's probably not readable in the low-res copy, so I don't have to plead the 5th.

[Edited by softwizz - 10/8/2002 11:55:42 PM]
Old 07 October 2002, 12:52 PM
The_Max STi
Scooby Regular

Click here for you lazy lot..
http://www.islandsoftware.co.uk/exmoor_divx_lq.avi
Old 07 October 2002, 07:25 PM
Sue Sidal
Scooby Regular

bttt
Old 07 October 2002, 08:24 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

what *group* were you in ?

I'm gutted at missing this one, I bet the rest this year will be in the pi55ing rain

Andy
Old 07 October 2002, 09:21 PM
softwizz
Scooby Regular

Cool

On the way there I tagged along behind Andy Steer - Chu was behind us to start with, but he evidently felt the need for more speed so he p*ssed off up ahead and presumably joined the first group. There was a third wave somewhere behind us, and someone else who tagged along for a few miles and then dropped off the back - probably a random Scooby owner who didn't have a clue what was going down!

The trip back, I don't know much about. I waited for the last of the others to make it out of the car park at Lynmouth (nightmare, but then you can see from the vid that the major activity of the whole day was getting out of that damned carpark!). My plan was to go straight to Simonsbath and get passing shots of everyone, but something went wrong with the plan.

I passed Tracey (I think it was?) en route from Lynmouth to Simonsbath (??? I thought they were all going via Blackmoor Gate), and then overshot my chosen location, and I think she came through while I was repositioning. I got just four of the gang on film at Simonsbath, as you can see. Where did the others go? I waited about 20 minutes and then drove straight through to Raleghs Cross before I turned for home, but nobody caught me up. Anyone want to tell me what happened?

Trending Topics

Old 07 October 2002, 09:31 PM
Tracey
Scooby Regular

Yes it was me you passed, me and the kids were stopping for a photo shoot of the sheep.

Tracey
Old 07 October 2002, 09:43 PM
softwizz
Scooby Regular

Cool

No lamb for Sunday tea then?
Old 07 October 2002, 10:10 PM
Tracey
Scooby Regular

Cool

No I'm afraid not, they all ran away when we got out of the car.

Old 07 October 2002, 11:34 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

awwww **** !
probs with your avi file wizz
got sound but no vid.
background track playing and scooby exhausts but no pic

Andy
Old 08 October 2002, 12:31 AM
softwizz
Scooby Regular

Cool

Andy, this is a DiVX file, so you have to have the DiVX codec installed. You can get various levels of stuff from their website, the basic stuff is free. I'm sure Snowcrash covered this issue when he was doing the Castle Combe Rallyday vid. Try looking on www.DiVX.com for the downloadables. Let me know if you still have trouble after that.
Old 08 October 2002, 03:25 AM
Chu
Scooby Regular

Talking

The first group was Nozzer!! i didnt want him to be lonely up in front!! so shot up to him!! also wanted to see if he would hand brake it around the hard right!!
Old 08 October 2002, 09:14 AM
softwizz
Scooby Regular

Cool

Chu, I must apologise for almost missing your car leaving the carpark - brain fade I'm afraid. In a more perfect world I'd have made up for it at Simonsbath, but I never saw you there. Which way did you go back, or were you so far ahead of us that I was too late?
Old 08 October 2002, 10:36 AM
NOZZER
Scooby Regular

Wink

Me, handbrake! You've got me all wrong chu Was getting kinda lonely up front though, terry's brakes went and bob was er, bob
Perhaps we should start a thread for another one!!
Old 08 October 2002, 03:19 PM
The_Max STi
Scooby Regular

Must admit the handbreak Steve did was very and as Tazman says it was about the only time he slowed down...

Well if there is another one on the cards as I still dont have a job I would love a ride and have a videocam and could quite easly convert it so it could be viewed... Like the rallyday video!!

So Steve, Nozzer Sound good??? (note the trying to blag a ride again!!!)

Rob
Old 08 October 2002, 04:11 PM
softwizz
Scooby Regular

Cool

The_MaxSTi, it would be a *great* idea for there to be another pair of hands - or more! - filming on the next run. Does anyone else out there have a camcorder and the desire to see an interesting and professional-looking vid come out? I'm no great shakes either as a cameraman or an editor, but the job would be an awful lot easier if there were more cameras around.

I fully intend to have a proper in-car rig on the next occasion as well, this time the actual run was too much to cope with and film at the same time, but as I get the rig sorted it becomes more feasible. Also it's difficult initially to poke a lens in peoples' faces, so I wasn't proactive enough when I was out of the car.

Don't know if it's the right time to mention it, but I'm working on a rewrite of a song that was written by Ewan MacColl for "Song of a Road", the BBC radio ballad about the building of the M1 back in 1959. This particular song is actually about the guys who drive the earth-moving gear, but it sort of fits into the mould of what we do. If it works out I might like to try doing more than just passive filming.

If anyone wants to know what I'm blathering on about here, please post your questions! Any of you who are familiar with the Radio Ballads will have a pretty good idea already.
Old 08 October 2002, 05:10 PM
NOZZER
Scooby Regular

If you want to put music to it, my vote would have to be The Who, I can see for miles.!

By the way, why cant i see this video? i am a computer cretin so any help would be greatly apprieciated
Old 08 October 2002, 05:19 PM
The_Max STi
Scooby Regular

NOZZER

You need divx... download from here. http://www.divx.com/divx/
install that.. then kick back and watch the film..
Any problems Nozzer give me a shout on rob-walker@blueyonder.co.uk could always pop down and see you at work.

Rob
Old 08 October 2002, 06:06 PM
softwizz
Scooby Regular

Cool

Nozzer, the question of appropriate music has been bothering me for weeks now. Snowcrash did a great job of putting an hour of Castle Combe video together, but none of the music seemed to me to be related to what was going on.

For this Exmoor experiment I chose one of the few songs that I thought might be relevant. "Rainbow's Cadillac" is about some sort of car nut strutting his stuff (at least I think it is - the sleeve notes of the album were a bit unclear about that). It also had the advantage of lending itself rhythmically to the needs of the cutting process.

Can anybody out there come up with any song titles that would be relevant to an Exmoor run? My wife suggested "2-4-6-8-Motorway" which is a bad idea because (a) it's about truck drivers, and (b) its about precisely the wrong sort of road. I thought of "Baby Driver" by S&G but that's seemingly about two wheels not four. There is a very funny pop song from about 1962 called "Transfusion" by Nervous Norvus, but that's really anti-speed when you listen to the lyrics - quite aside from being mostly about crashes. There is a Beatles song (?I think?) about Niki Lauda - "Master at Going Faster" - that might be suitable but I don't have a copy.

Any other ideas, anyone?
Old 08 October 2002, 10:57 PM
TAZMAN
Scooby Regular

I have a video camera that i can bring on the next run..just need a passenger to volunteer to hold the thing while I drive!!..Would also be good to recce a few spots on the run and do a few passes by to get everyone in their full glory..i.e. on top of the moors and around some of the more interesting bends... one suggestion tho..if we are going to post on the bbs might want to think about making the number plates a little harder to read!!

as for music..well I had the red hot chilli peppers blraing out of the stereo all the way on the run last time...seemed to work for me..or just dub Nozzer's exhaust over the whole thing!!!
Old 08 October 2002, 11:18 PM
softwizz
Scooby Regular

Cool

Tazman, that point about identifying stuff is a serious issue. It will be a pain in the *rse but I guess we will have to implement some form of dodging-out. I don't know whether Premiere has that capability though - any video editing gurus out there?

Musically, my taste is no doubt miles different from yours (and the rest of the group? could be a worry there!). I got to admit - gulp - I couldn't identify the Red Hot Chili Peppers if they came up and bit me. When I got my first serious car it was 1977 and the Bothy Band were about the biggest names that were both in my musical area and well-known publicly. I used to thrash along to the sound of Martin Wynn's Reel, which is a virtuoso piece that showcases the fiddle of Tommy Peoples (respeck!). Bothy Band used to attack the material with unbelievable energy - excellent hard-driving music for hard-driving times.

I have CDs of everything Bothy Band ever released, but that's old hat now. These days their mantle has been assumed by Iron Horse, and I've got three of their albums, some parts of which I'd unhesitatingly use in this prospective vid. Let me know if you're interested and I'll send you some MP3 of the material. You could send me some of the Chilis in return.
Old 08 October 2002, 11:27 PM
softwizz
Scooby Regular

Question

Thinking about this identification stuff, I'm beginning to feel that I should take down the existing vid until that's been doctored as well.

I need at least one voice in favour before I do the action. Conversely if you think what's currently on show is innocuous then say so, everyone.
Old 08 October 2002, 11:43 PM
TAZMAN
Scooby Regular

IMHO as we all drove well within the speed limit at all times!!! and the vid shows us driving all very responsibly..aprt from my ahem intresting braking then I think it is fine as is..nice to see some footage!! did any obe get any stills, apart from the ones on the M5 north bound.. I was sure someone took a group shot of all the cars in Taunton??

Also keep reading great things about P1's Steve, Nozzer next time can you take 20 minutes out and let me jump in the passenger seat..may be tempted to the dark side...
Old 09 October 2002, 06:29 PM
SteveB
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Would somebody like to burn this onto a CD for me and bring along on Sunday as I just started to download and me file thing (yes, that's as technical as I get) said it was going to take nearly 2 hours, so I aborted as I couldn't be bothered to wait that long on my slow internet connection.

Here's hoping

Cheers

Steve.
Old 09 October 2002, 09:19 PM
softwizz
Scooby Regular

Cool

Steve, if you need it on CD it would be better to have a higher res copy - no sense wasting 627Mb out of the 650! I'll do a short run of CD copies off a less compressed file (enough copies for just the participants) if I can organise my time well enough over the next couple of days. That'll give me the chance to eliminate the glitch on the exported file, as well. This will be simply a data file on CD, not a VCD or anything clever!

I was toying with the idea of dropping in on Sunday - can't promise yet, but I don't see why not (all I need is the arrival time, nobody seems to have mentioned that in a post). If I can't come, does anyone fancy dropping in over here to pick up the CDs?
Old 09 October 2002, 09:24 PM
Tracey
Scooby Regular

we meet at 12 noon and stay till about 2.30pm ish depending on how much chat. And boy can those men chat.

Cheers.

Tracey
Old 09 October 2002, 10:24 PM
SteveB
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
At £17.00 per 100 - 80 min cd's (from my mate in work )i'm not too bothered how much is left unburned.

Watchet is a little out of my way.

Steve.
Old 09 October 2002, 11:35 PM
snowcrash
Scooby Regular

softwizz, i've heard adobe premier can scramble out no plates etc (you have to do it by colour - i.e. scramble anything thats bright yellow)...

lol - you didn't like the music on the rallyday one ??? each to his own i suppose...

P.S. I tried to download the file the other day but it died three times on different 10MB links
Old 10 October 2002, 12:42 AM
softwizz
Scooby Regular

Cool

Steve, that wasn't a serious comment - simply trying to help out by giving you a better copy.

Snowcrash, I *didn't say* that I didn't like the music on the Rallyday vid. What I said was that the music (and by that I meant and probably should have said the lyrics) didn't relate to what was happening on the screen. I have no intention of decrying what you did, I know how much work you must have put in, and it's a good production. But I have aspirations to a different type of production, one in which the music is grounded in the actuality.

Whether I have the ability to achieve this is seriously in question, but I'd ask that you take a look at :-

http://www.pegseeger.com/html/radioballads.html

This is an account by Ewan MacColl of precisely what are the Radio Ballads, how they came about, and how they were made. I do not aspire to produce great art, neither have I the assistance of inspirational musicians and scriptwriters; but I belive that it is possible to apply these same principles to the production of documentary video, and I'm going to at least try to so apply them.

On these CDs I'm going to put a couple of MP3s of the sort of music that I would like to use. I'd welcome it if people could respond in kind with suggestions for other sorts of material that would be useful in this context - be it garage, heavy metal, jazz or opera, whatever. The Radio Ballads used stylistic elements of both jazz and opera quite a bit, and I won't rule out any categories of music. But I don't know much music beyond my particular sphere, so if you all want something radically different to my suggestions, then I need advice.

On the other hand, if you think all this is simply too much intensity, then tell me so and I'll go back to sleep.

Quick Reply: extremely short vid of the Exmoor run