Southern (England) Southern Meetings & Events

HICKSTEAD..........whinge mode on.....

Search this Thread

Old 07 July 2002, 07:36 PM
Spudgun VI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

imagine you are the people running a japanese car show. sh1tloads of people far and wide get up at the crack of dawn on a sunday(my only day off) to travel to your show, at expense to themselves and drive in god awful rain to get there.

and what do they get???

a feckin little tent selling back issues of your mag, two burger vans, and erm, thats it. dunno about you, but i'd be feckin embarrassed!

i dont mind paying £4 to get in, its hardly a fortune, but what i want is a bit of feckin effort. for **** sake, get off your **** and get some trade stands in, something to entertain the crowd, and really make something of it. dont just take my £4, make me park in some friggin field in the rain and expect me to wander round aimlessly for hours on end and think "yeah, top day out"

the best bit of the day? meeting up with a load of scoobys and travelling down there. it was great to meet a bunch of like minded people, shame the rain stopped any fun and games

sorry to moan everyone, i just think that if people make a feckin hoo har in their mag about organising a great show, and judging by the sheer size of the attendance a fair few quid (how much does a field cost to rent[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] ) they should at least feckin try.

rant over
Old 07 July 2002, 07:54 PM
titmarsh
Scooby Regular

Angry

a valid point, my shoes were totaly fcukd,everyone went as i arrived(1400) the american cars were err..... and i hope the silver scooby on the tow truck 0n the A27 was ok
Old 07 July 2002, 08:00 PM
ScoobySnack
Scooby Regular

Feel the same as Spudgun

Only good things were the people & cars..........

J
Old 07 July 2002, 08:19 PM
grahamstocker
Scooby Regular

Got to agree nothing much on offer apart from a rearly interesting stall behind the scoob stand selling wooden garden furniture
Old 07 July 2002, 10:06 PM
RalphLauren
Scooby Regular

Got to Agree not the nicest show
I especially wasn't happy with some guy doing donuts in his Red RX7 (To55er). I would n't moan usally but he has getting very close to my Scooby and other cars parked in the Japanese area.
When he got out it was some guy in his 30s (if you're reading this then 'Get A Life' and have some respect for other people's cars and property). I don't mind people performing stunts but not when you are surrounded by expensive cars and people wandering flicking up mud.

Whinge over.

[Edited by RalphLauren - 7/7/2002 10:08:40 PM]
Old 08 July 2002, 12:02 AM
starship impreza
Scooby Regular

Angry

Got to agree with you all just a mudddy field with aload of cars
good company though and nice to have a chat with those you dont see too often,good turnout on the Scoob front
Gary
Old 08 July 2002, 08:44 AM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

Arrow

The day is called 'Lazy Sunday', it is a yearly event for Custom Cars. The magazine that run the event is Street Machine, they also produce Jap Performance magazine.

Yes agree they could have organised some more stands, but if you look at most of the ads in the magazine they are traders, what would you have them do, bring a trailor load of cars down?

Graham, it comes to something when you are more turned on by garden furniture.

Ralph, the guy in the Red RX7 was ME.... I did not at any point do any donuts, I wanted to, but the space was not there. You try getting grip on a wet field, in the ruts, with only your rear wheels to power you. Not that easy. Trust me

As for respect of other peoples cars, I have plenty. Ask Markus, Dyney, Gary (Starship) and most of the others that know me. If you have any problem with this, mail me offline.

Other than that, nice to see all the old faces.

Dan

Trending Topics

Old 08 July 2002, 08:57 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I did enjoy myself, top effort to everyone who organised it. Maybe things woudl have been better if the sun had come out. My opinion is that this was the first coming together for this type of event, so maybe, just maybe, there were not sure on the turnout. I could be wrong, so forgive me if I am.

As for the RX7, yup, that was Danny. Rear wheel drive and mud do not make a good combination. I think we would have known if he was doing donuts, mainly as i would have stood and watched him, but he did not. He has more respect for my car than I do, a fact you may not know is that he does also own a scoob, hence the reason we let him associate with us No offence Danny
Old 08 July 2002, 11:38 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Danny - I believe you wouldn't do donuts, I've seen you drive and there is no way you could do something that clever!

Hmm.. perhaps someone should forward some suggestions for improvement for next year to the mag? Just a thought, might mean that next years event has the cars and the stuff you all wanted.

Alex
Old 08 July 2002, 11:49 AM
dalloyd
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I must aggree also on this one.
I bet 99.9% of us spent all day cleaning our cars ready for Sunday (me Included) only to find out it rains, and also to attend a what was supossed to be a HUGE show, turned out to a car boot sale! I was talking to Nick the organiser who assured me it was one to attend, but i can assure everyone that i voiced my thoughts to the organiser who i WAS on friendly terms with! I feel i must also appologise to those who i made come down as far as Yorkshire to see what they did. Sorry guys, If i knew.......... Winge over.
What i must say though is what a top bunch of scoobs. I had a thought we would take the place over and we did. Thanks for those also willing to be part of Flat Four also. I hope that another will take part and we could arrange/meet again.
dyney. I did not see a shell garage obn the way home, hence not attending meet after. Sorry mate. And not only did i get lost there, but also on way home! For future reference everyone, DONT FOLLOW ME!
Cheers Guys
Old 08 July 2002, 11:50 AM
NITO
Scooby Regular

Talking

I've got to say, despite the weather and the fact that in reality it was "just a muddy field" I thought it was a great day out. The drive down was superb, especially passing some of the other car convoys, the convoy was fun, the people were good company and it was great to see so many like minded people with all the other jap cars. I took the time out to go and chat with the other car clubs and they were a great bunch and the whole atmosphere in general was light hearted and very friendly. There were some very smart cars there and its great to see the spirit of tuning so alive.

I didn't expect anything more than what was on offer really, I hadn't heard or read anything about it so didn't have any pre-conceptions of what it would be like.

All in all I had a very enjoyable day.

mmmmm donuts...nice RX-7 btw Danny

Rgds
Nito
Old 08 July 2002, 01:21 PM
MAFFA
Scooby Regular

Location: Down South to Ooop North to Back Down South again!!
Thumbs down

Ditto to all the comments that have been said already. It was a really lame effort at organising what was supposed to be an "EVENT." Personally I thought that the meet at Bolney was better (even though we all had to park on the road) because it was free, just as entertaining & you could spend your £4.00 on a pub lunch

It seems like it was just a money spinner with £4.00 (per person ) to get in & once in there all you could spend your money on was tea & bacon sarnies that were horrendously overpriced due to there being no alternative [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img].

Nice to see all the cars & people though but I think we could have organised it ourselves in a McDonalds carpark & had a better time [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Oh & to finish off Danny wouldn't do dougnuts near anyones car as he has too much respect for them.

MAFFA
Old 08 July 2002, 02:14 PM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

Firstly it wasn't Danny doing the donuts or I wouldn't have agreed to him giving my girlfriend a ride to the pub afterwards. Danny and most of the scoob's had left before the incident!!

The Silver Scoob on tow could have been Scooby roo's (see his post in this/Southern section)

I was very disapointed in the "Event". I was told there were going to be trade stands and asumed this meant tuning etc. NOT garden furniture!!!!![img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
I think there were better cars at Bolney (more modded) but Hickstead had a better selection of makes and models.

I still had a good day, only due to the company and comraderry (sp!).

Thanks must go to Darren Lloyd for organising the flat four stand and for letting us gate crash it!! and for the shelter
Darren,
The Shell was at the next junction up(Hickstead village) 1000yds from Hickstead show gound Sorry you couldn't make it.

Do not let this put you off the next one (If there is one!) I'am sure all the other clubs are saying simalar things and the organisers will know how we feel and must improve for the next one.

I think the total count for just Scoob's was about 60 for the day (not including those who parked in the Public parking area).
Iain.

Old 08 July 2002, 06:15 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Darren
And they had a great time up at Donington! Bugger!
Small convoys are good, but ours was too big?
Chris was a bit pissed off - his cling film was totally buggered and he could'nt use it for his sandwiches this morning!!
JohnD
Old 08 July 2002, 07:52 PM
tinydelete
Scooby Regular

ok my turn now so the weather was cr*p, the field was muddy,! but what can be exsepected after the weather of late, luckily enough i was in the company of the flat four club, what a good bunch they are,my wife and i have only joined recently but feel that we have known darren and sue and other members for years, they make you so welcome we enjoyed it anyway even if we did have the picnic when we got home!!
johnd i think chris's sarnies may have been a tad soggy though!
Old 08 July 2002, 09:05 PM
Rambo
Scooby Regular

Talking

Can't be Danny doing D Nut's, he's not that type of Guy, by the way Danny, how fast were you going up the A21 on Friday last week.

Andy
Old 08 July 2002, 10:38 PM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

Rambo, I was doing 70 MPH.

Dan
Old 08 July 2002, 11:02 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

Shame it turned out the way it did.

I was led to believe that it would be like bolney but better organised and with trade stands.

Have to say i took a look at the weather and felt somewhat sorry for you all, closest i got to attending was driving past on the way to brighton, from what i saw it looked like an overflow car park for gatwick airport.

Methinks we'll stick to the bolney 'free' format next time (tho maybe a bigger venue than bolney lol).
Old 09 July 2002, 10:32 AM
dalloyd
Scooby Regular

Dyney. Please let me know of a next one. Cheers
Tiny: Good to see you there mate, as well as karen and beth. Car looks great mate. Those stickers on yet? Hope it looks better than mine
John. Where did you dissapear too? Looking for some more cling film Ill bring some low adeshive tape on the next meet. He can wrap his sanis in that instead
Ptholt. I didnt get the chance to meet you mate. Sorry. perhaps next time.
Old 09 July 2002, 10:51 PM
RalphLauren
Scooby Regular

Corner.??

It may have been Danny it may not have, but whoever it was I was annoyed as I was trying to get to my car. Getting sprayed with mud isn't my idea of fun (unless I am mud wrestling with some half naked women) Plus they were rather close to my car.

Old 09 July 2002, 10:57 PM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

The only point that I was close to ANY car was when I went under the marque, and that waas the ONLY point that I lost traction.

As others have said, I have more respect for cars than you would ever know.

It upsets me, that SOME individuals blame others wrongly, and then dont apologise, when they are given proof that that person was not to blame.

Sad really.

Dan
Old 09 July 2002, 11:26 PM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Smile

Danny,
Chill!!!!
You said you were in a red RX7!!!
Everyone else agreed you were in one too, but also said it wouldn't be you doing stunts (near cars )

Iain.

Old 10 July 2002, 09:36 AM
dalloyd
Scooby Regular

Come on guys. This sounds like a RSOC meet! Other owners of scoobys DO have respect for them, wheather they are in one or not!
Tiny: BETH? BETH? Sorry mate. I hope Courtney enjoyed herself
Old 10 July 2002, 01:25 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

nuffin wrong with an RSOC meet

hmmm, a combined RS, Scooby and RX7 meet, now that would be fun!
Old 10 July 2002, 01:48 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

These organiser (SIDC included) should take a leaf out of 'Fast Ford' Magazine or the RSOC book, the've been organising highly succefull shows since the mid 80's.

Infact Fast Ford (Ford Fair) and the RSOC National day are now so popular that each year they seem to be moving to even bigger and better venues.

They started of using grounds of places such as Stanford Hall and Blenheim Palace, but now take over the whole of Donington or Silverstone. And I mean the whole, not just the paddock like the SIDC day.

There's always plenty of trade stands and I mean plenty, almost too many and with enough food outlets to feed a small town
Old 10 July 2002, 03:43 PM
dalloyd
Scooby Regular

Scott> Being an old RSOC events co-ordinater, i agree with you. they are getting bigger and they are moving to bigger venues. Dont forget though, that there are some (at a guess) 50.000 or more Fords on the road than Subarus! And not forgetting that they stem back as far as 1960, hence they are so much bigger. Perhaps in the year 2030 we shall show them! Or perhaps we can get Justy or Subaru pick ups to join us! Make a good track day!
Im at an RSOC meet this Thursday at the Dick Turpin, A127 if any one wants to join a few of us. We are going to show those RS boys what it is like owning a car that has now taken over the RS sales!
Old 10 July 2002, 03:56 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Not all 50,000 Fords are RS's tho'

How much does it cost to advertise in the likes of Fast Ford / Japanes Performance.
The RSOC events always seem to have a 1/4 page add for their regional days. Perhaps Subaru or Japanese related clubs should start doing the same.

Event organisers take note..... if you don't drive a Subaru, doesn't mean you wouldn't be interested in a gathering. It's gotta be cost effective if a higher number turn up.
Old 11 July 2002, 12:38 AM
RalphLauren
Scooby Regular

Danny, after your first reply and what everyone else has said.
I don't think it was you.

I have heard what everyone else has said about you and you seem a top bloke and not the sort of person who would do that sort of thing just to show off at risk of damaging other people's property.

I am not after a debate about I was annoyed at the time but it was probably brought on by the poor weather.

Old 12 July 2002, 10:41 AM
dalloyd
Scooby Regular

Costs FROM £200.00 per MONTH for an add. Bit steep for a club me thinks!
Word of mouth a lot better and cheaper!
Old 12 July 2002, 10:44 AM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Yeh, but how many Trader's would be interested in a 'Word Of Mouth' meet ?

Quick Reply: HICKSTEAD..........whinge mode on.....