Notices
Southern (England) Southern Meetings & Events

New member - Devon (Plymouth area)

Search this Thread

Old 21 June 2021, 04:03 PM
Ianb2010
Scooby Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default New member - Devon (Plymouth area)

Hi everyone.

New member here currently living in Plymouth, I have a 2006 Forester 2.5 XT. It's my first Subaru, I've had it for a couple years now and still running smoothly (touch wood). It's totally stock - I'd love to change a few bits in time - but will have to see which way life takes me... I've not been in a great rush to do much as it's a bit of a step up from my 07 1.6tdci focus estate - and my 1st car which was a 96 1.2 clio! I've also got a van I tend to use daily and that's a bit of a snail so it's a fun alternative.

I'm looking for any recommendations for garages in Plymouth for the more standard stuff. I know Plymouth has engine tuner, but they don't seem keen to touch anything other than tuning mods. I have an issue with the window motor and I will probably do that myself, but earlier this year I had a lot going on and I tried to get my usual garage to sort it, but they "couldn't find anyone to supply the part" and they won't fit anything that they don't supply, which makes me lose a little more faith in them (and I've been keen to find an alternative anyway!!) - I tried Engine tuner and they told me they "don't do stuff like that"... I've seen a lot of Imprezas around the city, a few Foresters... so here is to hoping some of you are on here and have recommendations.

Thanks in advance!
The following 2 users liked this post by Ianb2010:
Old 21 June 2021, 04:55 PM
johno01
Scooby Regular

Received 670 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Ianb2010
Hi everyone.

New member here currently living in Plymouth, I have a 2006 Forester 2.5 XT. It's my first Subaru, I've had it for a couple years now and still running smoothly (touch wood). It's totally stock - I'd love to change a few bits in time - but will have to see which way life takes me... I've not been in a great rush to do much as it's a bit of a step up from my 07 1.6tdci focus estate - and my 1st car which was a 96 1.2 clio! I've also got a van I tend to use daily and that's a bit of a snail so it's a fun alternative.

I'm looking for any recommendations for garages in Plymouth for the more standard stuff. I know Plymouth has engine tuner, but they don't seem keen to touch anything other than tuning mods. I have an issue with the window motor and I will probably do that myself, but earlier this year I had a lot going on and I tried to get my usual garage to sort it, but they "couldn't find anyone to supply the part" and they won't fit anything that they don't supply, which makes me lose a little more faith in them (and I've been keen to find an alternative anyway!!) - I tried Engine tuner and they told me they "don't do stuff like that"... I've seen a lot of Imprezas around the city, a few Foresters... so here is to hoping some of you are on here and have recommendations.

Thanks in advance!
welcome Ian ✌️ Can’t help you with a garage but good to have another member on board 💪🏻
The following users liked this post:
Old 21 June 2021, 07:57 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

Welcome mate
The following users liked this post:
Old 22 June 2021, 10:28 AM
Rusti
Scooby Regular

Received 157 Likes on 132 Posts

Welcome aboard Ian, whilst they might not do some normal service bits its definitely handy having ET up the road for mapping etc I have to travel for hours to get down there
The following 2 users liked this post by Rusti:
Old 23 June 2021, 04:55 PM
Ianb2010
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the welcome messages guys. Looks like I might have to hunt down a local subie driver and interrogate them myself. There is a white JDM Foz not too far away that I've seen parked near a carwash/garage. Just irritates me that the guys I've used for years on my van are taking this new stance with customer supplied stuff... I can understand them covering their owns butts,but yeh, to not take customer supplied parts but also not be able to source the part themselves seems a bit counterproductive.
Old 23 June 2021, 05:02 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

Its always worth having a chat with them again/ I've noticed this with garages depends who you get on the day and the mood they are in but also what else they got going on and when you catch them. What upgrades were you thinking of doing.
Old 24 June 2021, 04:04 PM
Ianb2010
Scooby Newbie

No upgrades planned at this stage, got about a million other things I have to throw money at before I can play
(Got to get boilers serviced and just noticed a small leak in the house water pump!!!)

It was basically trying to get them to sort the window mechanism, but honestly, I think I'll give this a go myself when I find the part and get a moment. I've watched quite a few videos and I think I might be able to DIY it...
Old 26 June 2021, 09:51 AM
DarkusDarkus
Scooby Regular

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I've used a few garages over the years with a couple of different Subaru's ,the forester being the most recent Guppa p (pro tyre) in Cattedown were always good .. although not been there for a while . If I don't use engine tuner I use Ak Motorworks in Plympton near Newnham park , always been happy with their work. Hope this helps.
The following 2 users liked this post by DarkusDarkus:
Old 26 June 2021, 11:26 AM
oxscam
Scooby Newbie

I've always used Richmond motors in Stonehouse for non scooby stuff but they did do a cv axle for me a few months ago on my blobeye.
Plus Frank is happy to use customer supplied parts.
The following 2 users liked this post by oxscam: