Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

So Snow?

Search this Thread

Old 28 February 2018, 01:11 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

December last year:

Bambi the 206d van got buried and some prat left the lights on, that was fun digging out and jumping. Landsail summer tyres, and it still coped.

I would go outside now and do a direct comparison probably 2cm where it stuck, most of it has melted.

Last edited by ALi-B; 28 February 2018 at 01:13 PM.
Old 28 February 2018, 01:12 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Got about 4" now, keeps blizzarding a bit, then sunshine.
Took my lad over two hours to drive to hartlepool from Scunny last night, it was just getting bad here, they already had 4" there.
This morning it's taken the wife nearly an hour and a half to get 17 miles on motorway. ******** lorry driver broken down on a slip road!

More to come, they say.

But, as usual, we got most of ours when the PratOffice had told us we were done.
Old 28 February 2018, 01:31 PM
jazzyjembreaze
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well , my night ended at 07.10 this morning . I did manage to climb the bank & came off at Stamford north , turned around & drove the 10 miles back to colsterworth truck park , where I am now . Full trailer of wine on my back wich didn’t get delivered . I’m reducing my statutory break of 11 hrs down to 9 hours then I’ll be on my way ... quite a laughable experience watching the highways lot . But at what cost to the economy ???
Old 28 February 2018, 01:36 PM
jazzyjembreaze
Scooby Regular

06.30 this morn just before the Stamford north split

Old 28 February 2018, 01:39 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Aye, makes you wonder why the continentals can cope when we obviosuly cannt?

And with all the Eastern European trucks over here now, you'd think they, at least, would be used to it?
Old 28 February 2018, 02:41 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

11cm! Just measured it.
Old 28 February 2018, 03:46 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Not even six inches yet then? LOL
Old 28 February 2018, 06:41 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

The beast finally arrived,Mehhh

Old 28 February 2018, 07:13 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Light dusting in Sussex yesterday, but all gone by lunchtime.
Laying in bed last night watching the local news, and they had a report about how people were coping with the snow. They were filming in Arundle, asking passers by how they were being affected by the snow, and there was not a patch of the stuff anywhere in sight!
No wonder this country doesn't cope, goes into meltdown just at the thought of snow!
Old 28 February 2018, 07:40 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by ALi-B
December last year:

Bambi the 206d van got buried and some prat left the lights on, that was fun digging out and jumping. Landsail summer tyres, and it still coped.

I would go outside now and do a direct comparison probably 2cm where it stuck, most of it has melted.

Bambi at lunchtime:

Hasn't been driven since last week, indirect injection and its down on at least two glow plugs, so should be fun getting it running, although our 300,000 mile Astramax would refuse to start in sub zero temps...even with working glowplugs it just didn't have enough compression.
Old 01 March 2018, 09:14 AM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Not even six inches yet then? LOL
6 inches now.

We got 16 inches about 7 years ago.
Old 01 March 2018, 09:19 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

6mm here now , all gone by Saturday
Old 01 March 2018, 11:16 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

We have 6 to 8" now. Loads of road closures, North Lincolnshire is more hilly than you'd think. The entire 30 miles of the A15 from Briggate Lodge to Lincoln is shut, and two of the local villages, raeched by hills, are cut off.

Meanwhile, in the part of France I frequent, they went to -4 last night...and are going to hit 14 today! That's up to +14 degrees...in one day. The eastern edge of Storm Emma.
Old 01 March 2018, 01:26 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Boiler broke this morning. That was nice to wake up to. Bedroom at 10c (Dorma roof therefore rubbish insulation; see my other comments on never buying a house with a Dorma roof).

I then remembered the dozy/lazy/stupid/incompetent plumber that moved the boiler ran the condensate drain outside with barely any fall, when he could have ran it internally along the garage wall. I meant to move it along with those two 45 elbows on the copper pipe next to it (PRV drain...I know ) as it is rather untidy.

Kicked the pipe off, yep frozen Boiler then spat out a few litres of condensate. Hit the reset button. Jobs a good'un

Got to work to find the gaffer prodding with the newly installed boiler in the office...not working. I said "follow me", went outside and ripped the condensate pipe out the wall...yep frozen solid. Again the plumber when questioned about it said "it'll be fine".

Evidently "It'll be fine" is plumber's speak for "it's a bodge and I can't be arsed to do it properly".

Last edited by ALi-B; 01 March 2018 at 01:36 PM.
Old 01 March 2018, 01:34 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 641 Likes on 467 Posts

Snowed in at Lands End
Old 01 March 2018, 01:34 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Epic

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/s...n-bus-12105447
Old 01 March 2018, 06:10 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

What kind of monumental ****-up occurred on M80 ???
Old 01 March 2018, 06:20 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

The missus has done nothing but stare through the window since it started snowing
If it gets any heavier I migh have to let her back in
Old 01 March 2018, 08:58 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

lol

Thought I'd take advantage of the snow for my torch channel!

Old 02 March 2018, 01:14 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

I dont recall anything like as much fuss as this in 2010 , when snow was on ground for 3 weeks

* have say somehow we seem to have missed it all , although theres a bit coming down now , but its 6 degrees this weekend

Last edited by dpb; 02 March 2018 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02 March 2018, 01:38 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Boiler broke this morning. That was nice to wake up to. Bedroom at 10c (Dorma roof therefore rubbish insulation; see my other comments on never buying a house with a Dorma roof).

I then remembered the dozy/lazy/stupid/incompetent plumber that moved the boiler ran the condensate drain outside with barely any fall, when he could have ran it internally along the garage wall. I meant to move it along with those two 45 elbows on the copper pipe next to it (PRV drain...I know ) as it is rather untidy.

Kicked the pipe off, yep frozen Boiler then spat out a few litres of condensate. Hit the reset button. Jobs a good'un

Got to work to find the gaffer prodding with the newly installed boiler in the office...not working. I said "follow me", went outside and ripped the condensate pipe out the wall...yep frozen solid. Again the plumber when questioned about it said "it'll be fine".

Evidently "It'll be fine" is plumber's speak for "it's a bodge and I can't be arsed to do it properly".
Must be how they teach them at plumbing school

The f**kwit who installed my parents' boiler a couple of years ago did the same thing, with the same result. He left an added bonus too, where he drilled through the wall, he did put some fall on it, back towards the boiler

When my dad called him out to put it right, rather than fix the lack of fall, the ***** just cable tied some pipe insulation round it!
Old 02 March 2018, 01:42 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by dpb
I dont recall anything like as much fuss as this in 2010 , when snow was on ground for 3 weeks
I agree. It's just a bit colder and windy that's it.

Yet everyone has whipped themselves into a frenzy (yet again).

It took me a hour to get home, usually takes 20mins in traffic (can be done in 10mins with no traffic and speeding ).

Moderate hills people voicing off rev limiters with wheels on full lock going all over the place putting them selves in the way of comming traffic and blocking the road for everyone who has the ability and vehicle cape able of driving in what is not that much now (few inches round here).

I ended up resorting to a route which involves a very steep hill junction. On the basis I knew the route would be clear as nobody would get up it in a FWD/RWD car. Nobody made it past half way leaving the bad bit clear for me and a few 4x4s to get up. I've had to do this before when the idiots block up the main roads.

I'm still on summer tyres so it did struggle s bit at the top as I had to stop and give way so lost my momentum. Sold my winters on eBay last year as they 4yrs old and barely used! I didn't miss them, although they'd be nice to have.

Really would like to raise my ride height though, as the snow fall last year resulted in the front bumper acting as a snow plough.
Old 02 March 2018, 01:55 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
Must be how they teach them at plumbing school

The f**kwit who installed my parents' boiler a couple of years ago did the same thing, with the same result. He left an added bonus too, where he drilled through the wall, he did put some fall on it, back towards the boiler

When my dad called him out to put it right, rather than fix the lack of fall, the ***** just cable tied some pipe insulation round it!
Was he real plumber , thats appalling
Old 02 March 2018, 04:30 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Whipped themselves into a frenzy?

I think the medai have done that for us.

We had warnings of this "beast from the east" two weeks before it got here, with lots of chuckling, about how bad it was going to be, from weather presenters.

Then, when it came a bit late, it was obvious that the beeb, for one, was TOTALLY geared up to it and had nowt to fall back on. And since they rarely go outside London, and London had 10mm of snow, they looked daft...as usual.

Yesterday, with folk stuck in vehicles, was the first time I've seen that daft Scottish bint on the BBC breakfast weather ACTUALLY looking like it's serious, instead of the big grin and "wee chuckles".

But still, we had BBC presenters picking up snow with a frozen crust, breaking it in front of the camera and pronouncing it "AWFUL, JUST AWFUL!!!"

And as for this silly, stupid, inane idea of "feels like" temperatures, whoever thought of that wants shooting. Preferably with an icicle up the @rse!
Old 02 March 2018, 05:24 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Finished work early, still reckon the main issue is drivers and modern tyres. And I think I've trashed my undertray as I had to go through a drift and up a curb to go around some ***** in the middle of the road going from lock to lock and going nowhere forcing traffic in both directions to a standstill.

I would help, and I gave them a few minutes to sort themselves out, but when the driver is over-revving and using full lock, it's clear they have no idea; they'd only get stuck again 10metres up the road, as there are plenty of 2wd cars going around with little issue. So it's either a driver and/or tyre issue. The sooner they give up, the sooner everyone else can get on. Sad really as I used to be the guy who get my shovel and rope out the boot and dig them out. Maybe if the Land Rover was working, as the tow point on the Golf is flimsy at best.

And why do people drive in the middle of the road in snow? So instead of a pair of clear tracks in each direction we get one and half tracks and people getting stuck in drifts when they need to pull to the left to pass each other

Last edited by ALi-B; 02 March 2018 at 05:29 PM.
Old 02 March 2018, 05:26 PM
Pross
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Were snowed in here, little village in mid devon. Just took the landrover in to get bread/milk for half the street.
Old 02 March 2018, 05:51 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by alcazar
Whipped themselves into a frenzy?

I think the medai have done that for us.
People should know this by now. I subliminally filter the mainstream news outlets. Much of it is sensationalist opinion and speculation with misconstrued facts. Anything Trump and Brexit gets switched off, there is nothing that will effect me for 12months at the very least.

Bigging up the weather is another, yes it's bad, but by no means no worse than what we should be able to sensibly cope with. What would be worth reading is improvement on government legislation and law that ensures our infrastructure copes..6 points and £600 fine for anyone venturing out during a Amber/red snow/ice warning in a car or HGV without the right tyres and no emergency provisions. Bus and train operators should be fined for cancelling more than 10% of services and equip vehicles to cope...I noted stranded ambulances, panda cars and fire engines...all on summer tyres by any chance?

And how about "Tyregate" tyres rated to work well in cold/wet/snow but don't because manufactures test them themselves and employ quality fade on subsequent batches. That maybe newsworthy, not standing at the back of line of stationary traffic and not even bothering to walk to the front and find out why nothing is moving...quality journalism

Morrissey summed it up well in his latest song (as much as a kn*bhead he is, he has it right: "And I recommend that you stop watching the news. Because the news contrives to frighten you, to make you feel small and alone, to make you feel that your mind isn't your own.

Last edited by ALi-B; 02 March 2018 at 05:56 PM.
Old 02 March 2018, 08:52 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Must admit, been rather bad in West Mids tonight.

Having said that, is it only me over this way who can drive in the snow. Jeez, some terrible drivers . And I'm on normal 225/40's on my vRS

Having said that I used to just slide off the road in my old MX5.lol
Old 03 March 2018, 09:04 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ossett2k2
The beast finally arrived,Mehhh

That's just a cat ..
Old 03 March 2018, 09:10 AM
Dave Y
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 133 Likes on 97 Posts

Snowed in here but our Morrisons delivery got through.Well done that man !!
He got as close as he could then walked the rest .

Quick Reply: So Snow?