Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Compost.

Search this Thread

Old 04 April 2017, 02:02 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Compost.

Planning a three bin compost system. Anyone got a composting set-up?
Old 04 April 2017, 07:24 PM
DTB
Scooby Regular

Had a good set up at my last house. 7 pallets to create 3 bays with boards at the front added as required to hold the contents. Just filled the first one, then when it was full emptied it all into the bay next door thereby turning it all. Then when 1 was full of new stuff, emptied half rotted 2 into 3, then 1 into 2, so 1 was free to fill up with new stuff again.

It was a great system. Mice always lived in bay 2 for some reason and when I emptied it the dog used to sit nearby and eat them as they tried to run away. I took pity on the mice and began shutting the dog away when I did this job. Some wasps decided to live in bay 3. They were burrowed deep inside so I left them alone thinking I'd empty it in winter. Then two of the ****ers stung my daughter so I chucked a stone on top of their exit tunnel and set fire to the compost & roasted them all. Ruined the compost but it was worth it. I hate wasps.

But yeah, a 3 bin/bay system is a great way to make good compost.
Old 04 April 2017, 10:07 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

i dont have space for 3 bins but run a two bin system that works well i find what goes in directly effects the quality of the compost i get at the end
Old 05 April 2017, 08:35 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DTB
Had a good set up at my last house. 7 pallets to create 3 bays with boards at the front added as required to hold the contents. Just filled the first one, then when it was full emptied it all into the bay next door thereby turning it all. Then when 1 was full of new stuff, emptied half rotted 2 into 3, then 1 into 2, so 1 was free to fill up with new stuff again.

It was a great system. Mice always lived in bay 2 for some reason and when I emptied it the dog used to sit nearby and eat them as they tried to run away. I took pity on the mice and began shutting the dog away when I did this job. Some wasps decided to live in bay 3. They were burrowed deep inside so I left them alone thinking I'd empty it in winter. Then two of the ****ers stung my daughter so I chucked a stone on top of their exit tunnel and set fire to the compost & roasted them all. Ruined the compost but it was worth it. I hate wasps.

But yeah, a 3 bin/bay system is a great way to make good compost.
Originally Posted by Adrian F
i dont have space for 3 bins but run a two bin system that works well i find what goes in directly effects the quality of the compost i get at the end
Thanks for the responses, lads.

Opened up the bottom of one of my plastic bins this morning for the first time in 9 months and was presented with lovely, nutritious, crumbly goodness. So satisfying. It's going in to the newly created nursery and around the plum tree at the back of the cottage. Can't wait to get a proper 3 bin system going! I love the concept of putting the nutrients back in to the same garden they came from; symbiotic.

Last edited by JTaylor; 05 April 2017 at 08:38 AM.
Old 05 April 2017, 08:39 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Old 05 April 2017, 09:36 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 641 Likes on 467 Posts

My compost was semi commercial, being a landscaper ; if you are just putting in grass cuttings and household waste it can get too wet and turn to silage, which increases the time taken. Adding shredded plant material, or a layer of bark mulch allows oxygen in, speeding the process. We had to wet our shredding to stop them from igniting!!
Old 05 April 2017, 10:56 AM
johned
Scooby Regular

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice homes for rats.
Old 08 April 2017, 11:57 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
My compost was semi commercial, being a landscaper ; if you are just putting in grass cuttings and household waste it can get too wet and turn to silage, which increases the time taken. Adding shredded plant material, or a layer of bark mulch allows oxygen in, speeding the process. We had to wet our shredding to stop them from igniting!!
Yeah, I have a shredder and put some of the product in the composter and the rest around the shrubs. Just bought 10 packs of this in Poundland for £3.75 the lot!

Amazon Amazon

Thinking of buying three of these for my set-up:

https://m.greenfingers.com/p26627/te...FUU6GwodkR8Omg

Not the most attractive things but they'll be behind a fenced-off area, so I'm not too bothered.