Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Next Prime Minister

Search this Thread

Old 28 June 2016, 11:00 AM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by alcazar
LOL, but most of that is SHORT TERM. We get to keep the payment for ever.

The £ will rise again, trust me, I've seen it at €1.01. THAT was a mini disaster for me.

Just how much DID we give them?
What is your definition of short term? At the current forecast, we won't be keeping any money for 2.5 years at best! That puts it well in the realm of medium term in the business world. Not to mention the far more significant loss of tax revenue over those years due to economic recession! You're probably looking at decades before the UK can even hope to be quids in on the mere pennies it saves from not contributing to the EU!

There are no SHORT TERM gains from this!
Old 28 June 2016, 04:37 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Theresa May has overtaken Boris Johnson as the favourite to become the next PM. Good!!
Old 28 June 2016, 04:42 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please not BO JO, or that smarmy ****** Hunt
Old 28 June 2016, 04:43 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BMWhere?
What is your definition of short term? At the current forecast, we won't be keeping any money for 2.5 years at best! That puts it well in the realm of medium term in the business world. Not to mention the far more significant loss of tax revenue over those years due to economic recession! You're probably looking at decades before the UK can even hope to be quids in on the mere pennies it saves from not contributing to the EU!

Yes, and I also doubt the long term gains for the country; with the courtesy of this ever liberating Brexit. Plenty of gain for Mr. F, though. He's going into the history books with his toe curling, ever alienating speeches on the international stage. If he ends up turning just one other country against the EU, he'll feel like a super hero. He already feels like a hero now in Britain. With all his giving-it-large, even if he can make the EU just re-think and re-negotiate their deals with the U.K. and other countries, he'll think he's the one who brought that change about. Once again, 'devil's charisma' phenomenon and some twisted politics taking place.

Last edited by Turbohot; 28 June 2016 at 04:45 PM.
Old 28 June 2016, 04:45 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
Theresa May has overtaken Boris Johnson as the favourite to become the next PM. Good!!
Oh, definitely. She's way better than that BJ the Bshyter. In fact, the most suitable among all other wannabes.
Old 28 June 2016, 04:58 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

The conservative MP David Mitchell said something interesting on the TV last night

which was basically that in a Tory leadership vote the early front runner never wins

just from memory

Heseltine - Major
Heath - Thatcher
David Davis - Cameron
Old 28 June 2016, 05:32 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
The conservative MP David Mitchell said something interesting on the TV last night

which was basically that in a Tory leadership vote the early front runner never wins

just from memory

Heseltine - Major
Heath - Thatcher
David Davis - Cameron
This is interesting.

With that, hope BJ remains the front runner and TM remains behind him. Then TM can win.
Old 28 June 2016, 08:56 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

LOL, but most of that is SHORT TERM. We get to keep the payment for ever.

The £ will rise again, trust me, I've seen it at €1.01. THAT was a mini disaster for me.

Just how much DID we give them?
I may not like you but I always credited you with a modicum of intelligence.

There is no payment to "keep", it has been gobbled up by paying for all of the other stuff we need to now sort out. We are talking decades of wrangling and untangling ourselves from this. So anyone who thinks we are going to save money is very very deluded. At least for the next 10 years we will not be better off, if not worse off....

Also as pointed out on the news, to trade with the EU will still need to pay a membership fee and have freedom of movement for nationals.

Last edited by JGlanzaV; 28 June 2016 at 08:57 PM.
Old 28 June 2016, 09:35 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV
Also as pointed out on the news, to trade with the EU will still need to pay a membership fee and have freedom of movement for nationals.
You honestly do wonder when this will sink in
Old 28 June 2016, 09:41 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

On another note we may get Wolverine as the next PM

Aka Stephan Crabb
Old 29 June 2016, 08:12 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Answer the question please.

How much DID we give them, per week, (per month, per year if you prefer)?

To the nearest million will do, and I'd like a figure that we actually paid out, NOT including what we got back, please.
Old 29 June 2016, 08:15 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV
I may not like you but I always credited you with a modicum of intelligence.

There is no payment to "keep", it has been gobbled up by paying for all of the other stuff we need to now sort out. We are talking decades of wrangling and untangling ourselves from this. So anyone who thinks we are going to save money is very very deluded. At least for the next 10 years we will not be better off, if not worse off....

Well if you believe this nonsense, good on you.

The remainers have first tried to say there's no money, then, when pressed, they are saying it's all used up and X Y and Z.

Nice try. Doesn't wash.

Oh...and the highlighted bit? nonsense. We trade with loads of countries without having those two things imposed. Get real.

Last edited by alcazar; 29 June 2016 at 08:17 AM.
Old 29 June 2016, 08:49 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Well if you believe this nonsense, good on you.

The remainers have first tried to say there's no money, then, when pressed, they are saying it's all used up and X Y and Z.

Nice try. Doesn't wash.

Oh...and the highlighted bit? nonsense. We trade with loads of countries without having those two things imposed. Get real.
Can you read? The Eu have already set their terms for our deal if we want to trade within the Eu. So yes that is what they will want in return for us to trade.

Just because you don't agree with it doesn't make it nonsense. It is widely reported and documented that is their stance.

The brexiters promised 350bn savings which we have shown time and time again to be fictional. Maybe you can't read but farage and co have already admitted we won't have that money to spend on other stuff LIVE ON NATIONAL TV.

Stop been obtuse.
Old 29 June 2016, 09:37 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

he is in denial

he will be an interesting psychological case in a couple of years - when he finally has to face reality
Old 29 June 2016, 10:12 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Some people just think very differently, that's all.

For example, we have Mr. F who thinks and says that Trump would be better for the UK than Clinton or anyone else:

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews...Q&ocid=UE07DHP

He is entitled to his opinion, but it will get blasted by the ones who think straight.
Old 29 June 2016, 10:27 AM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Answer the question please.

How much DID we give them, per week, (per month, per year if you prefer)?

To the nearest million will do, and I'd like a figure that we actually paid out, NOT including what we got back, please.
The UK's EU membership fee

Because you seem to have trouble accessing any links that I post, I'll summarise it for you:

The gross amount without rebate is about £350M/week (£18.2bn/year)
Our rebate is worth about £100M/week (£5.2bn/year)
The rebate is an instant rebate, so we don't actually pay it and we can spend it on whatever we like!
So the gross amount we actually pay is about £250M/week (£13bn/year)
Of that, we get about £86M/week (£4.5bn/year) back as inward investment which the EU says how we should spend it e.g. regional investments in Wales, farming subsidies, scientific research etc.
That leaves a net contribution to the EU of £164M/week (£8.5bn/year). This is the amount of money that we would save when we leave the EU assuming we continue the subsidies and investments the EU makes at the same level.

To put that into perspective, the NHS budget is over 2.2bn/week (116bn/year). The 2008 crash wiped off 15% of the UK's tax revenue or about £140bn. We currently have over £1.5 Trillion in public debt which costs us £43bn/year in interest payments. We now lost our AAA rating, which means that interest just went up by about 0.25% which works out at about £10bn/year or £192M/week!

So without even considering tax revenues, in the last week we've lost more than our net contribution to the EU in additional interest on our national debt alone! AND WE'RE STILL F***ING PAYING THE £250M (£164M net) PER WEEK TO THE EU!

Are you starting to get this yet Alkazar???
Old 29 June 2016, 10:36 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Because you seem to have trouble accessing any links that I post, I'll summarise it for you:

The rebate is an instant rebate, so we don't actually pay it and we can spend it on whatever we like!
Of that, we get about £86M/week (£4.5bn/year) back as inward investment which the EU says how we should spend it e.g. regional investments in Wales, farming subsidies, scientific research etc.
That leaves a net contribution to the EU of £164M/week (£8.5bn/year). This is the amount of money that we would save when we leave the EU assuming we continue the subsidies and investments the EU makes at the same level.

To put that into perspective, the NHS budget is over 2.2bn/week (116bn/year). The 2008 crash wiped off 15% of the UK's tax revenue or about £140bn. We currently have over £1.5 Trillion in public debt which costs us £43bn/year in interest payments. We now lost our AAA rating, which means that interest just went up by about 0.25% which works out at about £10bn/year or £192M/week!

So without even considering tax revenues, in the last week we've lost more than our net contribution to the EU in additional interest on our national debt alone! AND WE'RE STILL F***ING PAYING THE £250M (£164M net) PER WEEK TO THE EU!
That is the clearest explanation of the UK's financial position with EU I have seen during the whole referendum period, so thanks for that.

As for this bit...
I don't think he will believe you. Nice try though.
Old 29 June 2016, 10:48 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

I have heard this morning that USA is already starting into negotiations with the UK, so much for back of the queue!

New Zealand/ Australia, Asia are all clambering to get get deals with the UK.

At this rate the UK will be fighting them off with a stick
Old 29 June 2016, 11:11 AM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy97
I have heard this morning that USA is already starting into negotiations with the UK, so much for back of the queue!

Source?
Old 29 June 2016, 11:14 AM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
Source?
This. The referendums over now so can we keep the lies/hearsay to a minimum?
Old 29 June 2016, 11:17 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Whilst I like Boris and have had him as a london mayor for many years, I dont think his political stance and negotiating skills are up there. I cant see any of the other candidates as being front runners or strong of character.

So for me it is May, as she scares me and that is what we need, some crazy looking woman scaring the crap out the EU lot

Plus she has had direct dealings with the frustration at not being able to deport undesirables from this country, so whilst a remain supporter, she may be well placed to get some stuff done.
Old 29 June 2016, 12:07 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin2005
Source?
I heard on tv in the background, but found this link

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/684164/Brexit-Barack-Obama-hysteria-US-UK-trade-deal-Norway-option-EU-referendum
Old 29 June 2016, 12:19 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politi...-EU-referendum

So basically you just posted a load of nonsense again then
Old 29 June 2016, 12:23 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

That's not what that article says
Old 29 June 2016, 12:31 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by neil-h
Most of what is being said at the moment is more about trying to stabilise the markets than doing any real deals or making any real plans! Nothing's changed and everything is going to be fine! Or to put it another way, please, Please, PLEASE, stop panicking, you're only making it worse!
Old 29 June 2016, 12:42 PM
coupe_20vt
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Spot on

As has already been said above, Alzheimer will still dispute your figures.
Old 29 June 2016, 12:47 PM
coupe_20vt
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I can't see anywhere in the article linked where it says....

Try again.
Old 29 June 2016, 01:17 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Alzheimer , lol
Old 29 June 2016, 01:22 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by neil-h
your not supposed to actually read the sources

that's what got me into trouble with Warren
Old 29 June 2016, 01:39 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Seeing you have some facts.

I want to ask you...becuase to be honest I struggle getting a stright figure......

Of the money comming to the UK from the EU to spend on "farmers and poorer regions" (£4billion last year). On aggregate, what propertion of that sum, and the cumulative over, say 20years, has been spent on which part of the country? (London, Cardiff, Devon etc).

With exception to Wales, you may find a good correlation.

Quick Reply: Next Prime Minister