Notices
Member's Gallery Pictures of your pride and joy

08/09 Hatches, Stand up and show yourselves!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05 April 2016, 03:41 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 234 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by kershaw-330s
Looks good Ive heard mixed reviews of the grimspeed one and it has questionable efficancy but I spose your using yours more as a catch can but tbh not what I was looking at. I've heard that the Crawford is the one to have any one used this? also there is the Perrin one which is almost the same and is also water heated to prevent condensation 👍🏼 .. Also the mishimoto one seems quite good but that has two cans but is built to a very high spec. Any experience of these three?
the efficency issue is that can be affected by oil surge. The bottle is more just because im not venting any air at all back into the inlet but also dont want to dump oil if it has a surge - something which hasnt happened in the 3 yrs ive had it

crawford one will not fit RHD cars
Old 05 April 2016, 07:00 PM
S204Darren
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm interested in your opinion lads. Is the R205 the ultimate hatch?
Old 05 April 2016, 07:15 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Never heard of an AOS? What's the benefit??
Old 05 April 2016, 08:50 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by S204Darren

depends if you have one or not lol
Old 05 April 2016, 08:55 PM
fatboy_coach
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had her detailed

Just collected her from getting detailed by Detail My Car in Newbury, very happy
Old 05 April 2016, 10:17 PM
Apostle
Scooby Regular

Cool Grimmspeed is a winner.

Looks good Ive heard mixed reviews of the grimspeed one and it has questionable efficancy but I spose your using yours more as a catch can but tbh not what I was looking at. I've heard that the Crawford is the one to have any one used this? also there is the Perrin one which is almost the same and is also water heated to prevent condensation ���� .. Also the mishimoto one seems quite good but that has two cans but is built to a very high spec. Any experience of these three?

I bought the Grimmspeed one.... took them over a year to develop. On the USA sites there was a thread - not one bad report in hundreds of responses..... The way it separates is genius. Unless you connect it up wrongly and then it gets messy - like anything fitted incorrectly.

I run mine with a Grimmspeed tmi (first one in the uk some time back now) and the tmi is dry & clean.

Best. A

Enginetuner 2.35 running Dominator xTR 2.5 8" hotside 480bhp @ 1.65

Last edited by Apostle; 05 April 2016 at 10:18 PM.
Old 05 April 2016, 10:26 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

It depends what you mean ultimate.
It is the equivalent of S cars in the form of a hatch
A car that is best to be kept standard (as most limited editions) rather than modified.

Last edited by fpan; 05 April 2016 at 10:29 PM.
Old 05 April 2016, 10:40 PM
daF1rby
Scooby Regular

Finally picked my Hatch up last night from Brain at CAMS.
A 59 plate WRX-S but with an ej20 STi engine lurking inside :-)

VF48, de-cat downpipe, "Harvey Smith trick up-pipe", AVCS, TGV delete, Exedy clutch

Still getting used to it (Need to do more leg days at the gym!) and a few niggles need ironing out but it is growing on me :-)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20160405-WA0005.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	260.3 KB
ID:	20423   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20160405-WA0004.jpg
Size:	223.9 KB
ID:	20424   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20160405-WA0002.jpg
Size:	210.6 KB
ID:	20425  
Old 05 April 2016, 10:52 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks Don, That's the puppy I took off!
Top mounting of it has become detatched from dash, so either broke or just worked of.

I'll pop off the glove box and side trim for access and see what's what.

The pic you posted of the damper looks like what I took out ... no cover at the top end just a white "plunger" of insert in a black plastic tube.

I'll let you know what I find!

Cheers
Originally Posted by Don Clark
You will need to remove the glove box and maybe the lower panel to see the damper upper attachment area.

Part numbers etc..................... item 13

http://opposedforces.com/parts/impre...llustration_3/

Old 05 April 2016, 10:56 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 760 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay Cartay
Never heard of an AOS? What's the benefit??

Air Oil Separator

Reduces the amount of oil vapour from the head and crankcase breather system being sucked back into the turbo inlet pipework, contaminating the intercooler and spoiling the A/F mixture and fuel octane rating.

Same principle as using a catch can, but can be used to return the residual oil to the sump.

In my unit, i fitted additional stainless steel mesh to increase the surface area on which oil droplets can form, thus increasing the oil volume removed.

oil consumption is much improved.

Last edited by Don Clark; 05 April 2016 at 10:58 PM.
Old 05 April 2016, 11:15 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Don Clark
Air Oil Separator

Reduces the amount of oil vapour from the head and crankcase breather system being sucked back into the turbo inlet pipework, contaminating the intercooler and spoiling the A/F mixture and fuel octane rating.

Same principle as using a catch can, but can be used to return the residual oil to the sump.

GrimmSpeed Air Oil Separator - 2002-2007 WRX/2004-2015 STI Install/Review - YouTube

In my unit, i fitted additional stainless steel mesh to increase the surface area on which oil droplets can form, thus increasing the oil volume removed.

oil consumption is much improved.

Same as that video , I noticed a lot of oil in my intercooler when I took it off last week. Also get a bit of smoke on start-up , would that be related? Must look into one of those contraptions!
Old 06 April 2016, 06:50 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

Imo yes , the spec it has is amazing , the 6 pot front brembos 4 pot rear brembos look amazing and it's the small details iv noticed aswell like having red seat belts all round , these would look awesome in my red and black hatch but are silly money from Japan parts as always lol

There is one for sale on eBay but from a very well known seller (not in a good way either) and is already missing things like the gear **** so who knows what else is missing
Old 06 April 2016, 07:35 AM
kershaw-330s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gambit
the efficency issue is that can be affected by oil surge. The bottle is more just because im not venting any air at all back into the inlet but also dont want to dump oil if it has a surge - something which hasnt happened in the 3 yrs ive had it

crawford one will not fit RHD cars
I don't see any reason that the Crawford one wouldn't fit a rhd car looking at how it's installed
Old 06 April 2016, 10:24 AM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

I don't see any reason that the Crawford one wouldn't fit a rhd car looking at how it's installed
The problem is the mounting point, you have a master cylinder there. but im sure you could mount it somewhere else if you really wanted it. Sure get pics up when you do get it sorted
Old 06 April 2016, 11:23 AM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Informative as always Don

I was wondering if it was snake oil to be honest!

I can't say I've ever noticed any oil covering the intercooler myself but I'll take a closer look next time.
Old 06 April 2016, 04:13 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks like the mounting lug on dash has broken off, that's why damper was loose.
Damper works ok.

Will have to mount with self tapper into remains of mounting lug.

Is this part if dash replaceable on its own?
Thanks

Originally Posted by vulnax999
Thanks Don, That's the puppy I took off!
Top mounting of it has become detatched from dash, so either broke or just worked of.

I'll pop off the glove box and side trim for access and see what's what.

The pic you posted of the damper looks like what I took out ... no cover at the top end just a white "plunger" of insert in a black plastic tube.

I'll let you know what I find!

Cheers
Old 06 April 2016, 05:06 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Old 06 April 2016, 06:45 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 760 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by vulnax999
Looks like the mounting lug on dash has broken off, that's why damper was loose.
Damper works ok.

Will have to mount with self tapper into remains of mounting lug.

Is this part if dash replaceable on its own?
Thanks
From previous illustration it mounts to the actual lower trim panel.

I take it you have removed the end cover for a closer look ?? assuming it's visible.
Old 06 April 2016, 08:26 PM
uk2006wrx
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=CharlySkunkWeed;11817600]Without me having to search this whole thread, can anyone tell me if they have been able to over ride the DVD cutting out while moving on this head unit -

What did you use to get the android? on the video input?

Last edited by uk2006wrx; 07 April 2016 at 10:14 PM.
Old 06 April 2016, 08:46 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=uk2006wrx;11817944][QUOTE=CharlySkunkWeed;11817600]

What did you use to get the android?
To get android I have used stuff I already had and only had to buy an adapter.
If doing it from scratch -
Make sure phone/tablet is MHL.
buy a MHL to RCA adapter (needs power)
Buy a USB cigarette lighter charger (to power adapter)
Buy a RCA lead , from adapter to armrest cubby.
OBD2 bluetooth dongle
Torque Pro App (realistically anything the phone displays will show on screen, apps , pics , movies etc.

I went the long way round and went MHL to HDMI converter , connected to a HDMI to RCA converter. Lol , I already had all of it so tried it and it worked so it'll do rightly. Might simplify it someday.

Last edited by CharlySkunkWeed; 07 April 2016 at 10:07 PM.
Old 06 April 2016, 10:19 PM
scoober101
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Careful recycling crankcase/heads oil breather vapour back into the sump, Im not entirely sure why but condensation can form which is basically water, which then mixes with the oil and creates a yellow sludge which is then going back into your sump and circulated around the engine. The stock setup allows the CC/heads vapour to mix back in with the intake air or with a catch can setup it is caught and stored separately. The only solution for these air/oil separators is regular oil changes if you still wanted to install one.

See here for what I mean:

http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=30486

Name:  P1000874_zpsvvxtrabz.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  245.5 KB

Last edited by scoober101; 06 April 2016 at 10:20 PM.
Old 06 April 2016, 10:42 PM
sandrai
Scooby Newbie

Hello,

I bought a 08 WRX STI hatchback with 32,000 just over two years ago and it is still not right any assistance would be appreciated.

There was a whinning noise when driving at all speeds had it in to Subaru and six other garages all said it was okay and Subaru charged £80 just for a test drive.

I have replaced all 4 discs, brake pads,
Gear box & diff oils
someone advise it was wheel hub on passengers side costly replaced but noise still there.

Had the clutch checked as my husband said it was that but all SIX garages said it was tight, soild and changes with no issues. I do not feel if there is an issue with it.

it was four new tyres on it when I bought it and they were Sunny tyres when googled everyone said get rid as they are rubbish and dangerous.

There is now four new Nexon 08 tyres on it when Subaru recommended. they wanted £120 per wheel but Skidz done a brilliant job and replaced for £75 each.

My husband said there is a vibration through the floor and up through the pedal and now he says is seems to pull back when taking foot of accelerator. This is happening at all speeds.

He is convinced the clutch is going to give in, or transmission box or diff or the lot.

Any suggestion or recommend a garage near Falkirk.

thanks
Old 06 April 2016, 11:01 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

I take it you've already done Ian Grieve's?
http://www.iangrieve-subaru.co.uk/

Has the car been like it since you bought it?

Nexen tyres are only about £50.. so fitted --- £65? so not £120!!
http://www.camskill.co.uk/m54b0s312p..._Noise%3A_74dB
Old 06 April 2016, 11:21 PM
sandrai
Scooby Newbie

Hello ,

Thank you for your reply , The first couple of months there was not issue with the car but then there was a constant noise when driving at all speeds and on different road surfaces. Thats why we replace the pads, discs, wheel hub, alignment, oils etc then we were told it could only be the tyres. Ian Grieve quoted £120 to supply and fit each wheel but got them for £75 supplied and fitted at Skidz.

You can feel a vibration underfoot when driving but I drive an L200 and just thought it was down to the car being low profile and sports. I have never felt it shudder and not felt a vibration through the steering wheel but I do not use it much but he is convinced it is something major.

Thanks for the link to tyres mines is 245/40/18 probably why they are slightly dearer.

Ian Grieves want another £90 to test drive again. My husband is paranoid about noises in the car and is always listening for more problems.

Ian Grieves does my services etc was just wondering if there is someone else that can look at it. or is there any suggestions as to what it can be?

thanks
Old 07 April 2016, 08:24 AM
Apostle
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up Ooh

Originally Posted by scoober101
Careful recycling crankcase/heads oil breather vapour back into the sump, Im not entirely sure why but condensation can form which is basically water, which then mixes with the oil and creates a yellow sludge which is then going back into your sump and circulated around the engine. The stock setup allows the CC/heads vapour to mix back in with the intake air or with a catch can setup it is caught and stored separately. The only solution for these air/oil separators is regular oil changes if you still wanted to install one.

Noted. Thx v much. a
Old 07 April 2016, 10:02 AM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

That happens on any car under the oil cap if you only drive short distances
Old 07 April 2016, 10:07 AM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sandrai
Hello,

I bought a 08 WRX STI hatchback with 32,000 just over two years ago and it is still not right any assistance would be appreciated.

There was a whinning noise when driving at all speeds had it in to Subaru and six other garages all said it was okay and Subaru charged £80 just for a test drive.

I have replaced all 4 discs, brake pads,
Gear box & diff oils
someone advise it was wheel hub on passengers side costly replaced but noise still there.

Had the clutch checked as my husband said it was that but all SIX garages said it was tight, soild and changes with no issues. I do not feel if there is an issue with it.

it was four new tyres on it when I bought it and they were Sunny tyres when googled everyone said get rid as they are rubbish and dangerous.

There is now four new Nexon 08 tyres on it when Subaru recommended. they wanted £120 per wheel but Skidz done a brilliant job and replaced for £75 each.

My husband said there is a vibration through the floor and up through the pedal and now he says is seems to pull back when taking foot of accelerator. This is happening at all speeds.

He is convinced the clutch is going to give in, or transmission box or diff or the lot.

Any suggestion or recommend a garage near Falkirk.

thanks
Welcome along

something as simple as uprated engine/gearbox mounts would give you the whine & vibration you talk off BUT without seeing/driving or knowing the spec/history of the car - you are pissing into the wind asking on a forum as you'll get every potential cause that each person in the world thinks it may be and that'll have your head turned!

you really need to find a recommended independent subaru specialist up in your neck of the woods. i would suggest asking that question rather than what could it be

Last edited by Gambit; 07 April 2016 at 10:09 AM.
Old 07 April 2016, 11:34 AM
kershaw-330s
Scooby Regular

This is exactly what I'm talking about the grimspeed one being ineffective also I'm sure I've read somewhere it doesn't vent every breather hose only half of them or somthing
Old 07 April 2016, 11:41 AM
kershaw-330s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gambit
That happens on any car under the oil cap if you only drive short distances
Not it shouldn't at all the distance of you journey should be irrelevant. If I had that under my filler cap I would be masivly concerned. water should not be getting in your oil.. end of
Old 07 April 2016, 12:58 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Not it shouldn't at all the distance of you journey should be irrelevant. If I had that under my filler cap I would be masivly concerned. water should not be getting in your oil.. end of
ill allow you be massively concerned for yourself or else go speak to someone with experience on maintaining/building engines, or better still google "Mayo under oil cap" and read what the internet says

p.s. i dont get it in my AOS..ive been running it for over 3yrs. but hey ho, internet say so

Last edited by Gambit; 07 April 2016 at 12:59 PM.

Quick Reply: 08/09 Hatches, Stand up and show yourselves!!!