Notices

Meta Alarm Help

Search this Thread

Old 23 June 2012, 11:14 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Meta Alarm Help

The Meta Cat1 (36&99) alarm on my 944 doesnt work. The immobiliser works without issue, but the alarm has stopped responding to the fobs.

The batteries appear to be good (3.25v) and the contacts clean, but without a frequency sniffer I cant be certain that theyre operating, as they dont have a tell tale lamp on.

Ive spoken to a Meta dealer and he thinks that the fobs have been pressed whilst out of range of the car, a sufficient number of times for them to have become out of synch. Possible, but he thinks that three times will be enough, but a little research suggests that >256 would be required.

Anyway, he thinks that I should send £100 and the alarm ECU in his direction and get two new fobs programmed to the ECU back in mine, but this seems excessive where it appears that both fobs still operate correctly. Also, the previous owner is adamant that the alarm works and that he simply tired of replacing the batteries every four to five weeks - and I know the man and he is straight, so whilst he may be wrong Im confident that he is being honest.

Any thoughts?

Simon
Old 24 June 2012, 08:05 AM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 747 Likes on 620 Posts

Maybe you should contact MetaSystems for advise first.........

http://www.metasystem.org.uk/vehicle...m_m9936t2.aspx

http://www.metasystem.it/index.php/m...view/full/456/
Old 25 June 2012, 01:40 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Ive already been passed from pillar to post Don. From the manufacturer to the importer to this dealer.

I need advice from someone who understands the alarms but who doesnt simply want to direct me towards a £100 exchange, which Im sure is more than I need.

Simon
Old 25 June 2012, 08:51 AM
MR_TOAD_INSTALLER
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GC8
Ive already been passed from pillar to post Don. From the manufacturer to the importer to this dealer.

I need advice from someone who understands the alarms but who doesnt simply want to direct me towards a £100 exchange, which Im sure is more than I need.

Simon
To be honest there like rocking horse muck to get hold of if it was Abacus in london you prob wont find it cheaper

Ian
Old 25 June 2012, 10:22 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Thanks Ian. It was Sam and Id be very happy with what he has offered, if it was required, but Im not sure that it is.

Im about to buy a frequency sniffer and I will update the thread when I know for certain that the fobs are transmitting. If they arent, of course, I will send the ECU off and be very happy with the service that is being offered.

Simon
Old 27 June 2012, 08:35 PM
MR_TOAD_INSTALLER
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
Thanks Ian. It was Sam and Id be very happy with what he has offered, if it was required, but Im not sure that it is.

Im about to buy a frequency sniffer and I will update the thread when I know for certain that the fobs are transmitting. If they arent, of course, I will send the ECU off and be very happy with the service that is being offered.

Simon
Yes Sam is a good pal of mine

I have a alarm transmitter tester but it wont tell you if it is out of frequency just that it is transmitting a signal
It could be the receiver board or the transmitter

Ian
Old 31 August 2012, 06:46 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Update: Ive tested both fobs and theyre both transmitting on the same frequency. This doesnt roule out a great deal, I realise.
Old 01 September 2012, 12:55 AM
MR_TOAD_INSTALLER
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
Update: Ive tested both fobs and theyre both transmitting on the same frequency. This doesnt roule out a great deal, I realise.
Just a quick question how much did the car cost no disrespect

Ian
Old 01 September 2012, 02:59 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Only a few thousand, its far from an expensive car. 944 Turbos are money pits though, theres theres always something that you could spend £1,000 on, let alone £100!

That said, Im not sure why I was so reluctant to spend £100 on it - probably because it was before its MOT.