Notices

What Cat 1 alarm to fit?

Search this Thread

Old 18 April 2012, 09:56 AM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default What Cat 1 alarm to fit?

The Toad fitted to my car from new has given up the ghost. Although I thought I had a "lifetime warranty", it seems I don't. The people who fitted it for its SVA have apparently gone out of business, and they didn't complete the paperwork, having fitted it in such a way that water could get in.

So, I now have to chose a new Cat 1 alarm and my local outfit do either Clifford or Hornet. Any recommendations? I'm not after a "bells and whistles" system, but I do want keyless entry covering all doors and the ability to stop it arming if I'm cleaning it.
Old 19 April 2012, 12:00 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Clifford concept 650 mk2, has enough bits on it that you need and you can add to it later if you want intelli start etc.
Also where is your local outfit?

Tony
Old 19 April 2012, 08:40 AM
XRS
Scooby Senior

I'm on the East Sussex coast, and looking around I've decided my local outfit are taking the Micky when it comes to prices, so I'm now looking at buying from a mobile fitter.

I can get the Sigma S30 for £260 fitted, which seems OK to me. Is this reasonable? He will also do the Toad Sterling 1 and AI606 for slightly less money, but having been let down already by Toad I don't feel like chancing my arm with them again.
Old 19 April 2012, 09:45 AM
MR_TOAD_INSTALLER
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by XRS
I'm on the East Sussex coast, and looking around I've decided my local outfit are taking the Micky when it comes to prices, so I'm now looking at buying from a mobile fitter.

I can get the Sigma S30 for £260 fitted, which seems OK to me. Is this reasonable? He will also do the Toad Sterling 1 and AI606 for slightly less money, but having been let down already by Toad I don't feel like chancing my arm with them again.
Hi Mate

When you say let down by Toad do you mean Toad or a supplier under the name of Toad
Toad is now owned by Scorpion in Chorley Preston i very much doubt you have spoken to them just a Toad web site not related to them at all
Exactly what is wrong with the alarm is the siren water damaged or the control box ? as they are all replaceable and much cheaper that a new system

Regards Ian
Old 19 April 2012, 10:18 AM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by MR_TOAD_INSTALLER
Hi Mate

When you say let down by Toad do you mean Toad or a supplier under the name of Toad
Toad is now owned by Scorpion in Chorley Preston i very much doubt you have spoken to them just a Toad web site not related to them at all
Exactly what is wrong with the alarm is the siren water damaged or the control box ? as they are all replaceable and much cheaper that a new system

Regards Ian
I have exchanged emails with Scorpion Technical Support in Chorley. It appears that my unit was fitted incorrectly, allowing water ingress to the control box leading to my current issues (randomly immobilising the car) and they are not prepared to stand behind an organisation which they presumably trained and authorised to fit their alarms, and which has now gone out of business.

The warranty card (unfortunately not completed by the installer) states that "Toad innovations warrants to the original consumer purchaser that the product described overleaf is free from defects in material and workmanship." It appears that this lifetime warranty refers only to the ECU, and not faults arising as a consequence of poor installation. Obviously, I don't see it that way. As the first owner of the car (albeit 7 years since I bought it) I believe that if they want to sell the alarm with a lifetime warranty they should honour it, and not rely on their interpretation of their own small print.

Presumably my local Toad agent knows that I could simply replace a part of the system (it was him who said it was incorrectly installed), but no doubt he believes he can sell me a whole new system, so he hasn't offered that to me. Hence my interest in a new system, though if I could have the old one repaired I would be happy with that.

Cheers,
Old 20 April 2012, 10:08 AM
XRS
Scooby Senior

I understand that the current Toad alarm is a C4, though I'm not sure how to confirm this.
Old 20 April 2012, 06:12 PM
MR_TOAD_INSTALLER
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aha the C range is no longer that is ptobably why i thout it was the Modular range
Back to the drawing board

Ian
Old 23 April 2012, 02:57 PM
XRS
Scooby Senior

New Sigma S30 it is then.

Cheers for the info.
Old 23 April 2012, 03:04 PM
Yellow R
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a Clifford 650 on my old Subaru, good alarm full closure windows,auto lock etc check up on it mate
Old 23 April 2012, 04:25 PM
P600wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Concept 650 has blackjack built in, make sure they don't charge extra forint cus it's just a programme feature, the hornet maxx1 is identical almost to the toad ai616 I fit both and are great alarms the Clifford has more bits u can add to it the hornet is like ronseal, does exactly what it says on the box , it's a cat1