Notices

What to replace Sigma alarm with?

Search this Thread

Old 26 July 2011, 04:18 PM
Nic1911
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to replace Sigma alarm with?

So folks my bugeye currently has the absolutely rubbish Sigma alarm and I want to replace it but I don't want/need anything fancy just something CAT 1 with alarm and immobiliser and central locking for sensible money.

I was advised about getting a Toad Sterling 1 which covered all of the above for only £350 fitted or was pointed in the direction of a Clifford 650 for £550

i know the Clifford has a few other fancy bits I am not worried about but any thoughts on which I should get would be appreciated

Cheers
Old 27 July 2011, 10:24 PM
MR_TOAD_INSTALLER
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nic1911
So folks my bugeye currently has the absolutely rubbish Sigma alarm and I want to replace it but I don't want/need anything fancy just something CAT 1 with alarm and immobiliser and central locking for sensible money.

I was advised about getting a Toad Sterling 1 which covered all of the above for only £350 fitted or was pointed in the direction of a Clifford 650 for £550

i know the Clifford has a few other fancy bits I am not worried about but any thoughts on which I should get would be appreciated

Cheers
I supply and Fit The Toad AI606 for £220 to members if you want to come up north

Ian
Old 28 July 2011, 01:37 PM
Nic1911
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the reply but was looking at local companies near me
Old 09 August 2011, 10:00 AM
Jesus H
Scooby Regular

£550 for a Clifford 650 is daylight robbery (unless it also has remote start)

The Sterling 1 is an ok alarm but the thickness of the wiring used on them is a serious concern.(Same goes for the Toad Ai606 which is the same alarm with a couple of extra functions that usually make no difference to the end user).

The Hornet 750T (or maxx 1 as its commonly known) is very similar to the Toad and the Sterling(they are all based around the same pcb) but it comes with a decent gauge of wiring.

Prices for the Hornet are usually around the £200-£220 ish mark. Prices for the Clifford 650 should start around about £300 going up to £400 depending an the sensor pack you choose.
Old 10 August 2011, 12:23 AM
MR_TOAD_INSTALLER
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jesus H
£550 for a Clifford 650 is daylight robbery (unless it also has remote start)

The Sterling 1 is an ok alarm but the thickness of the wiring used on them is a serious concern.(Same goes for the Toad Ai606 which is the same alarm with a couple of extra functions that usually make no difference to the end user).

The Hornet 750T (or maxx 1 as its commonly known) is very similar to the Toad and the Sterling(they are all based around the same pcb) but it comes with a decent gauge of wiring.

Prices for the Hornet are usually around the £200-£220 ish mark. Prices for the Clifford 650 should start around about £300 going up to £400 depending an the sensor pack you choose.
Total Bollocks on wiring maybe Clifford will get into the EU coating thickness
wiring is the same but the coating is reduced
Toad are and will always be bullit proof unlike Cliffords that have had major problems according to may customers
Hornet is the budget off what is no longer Clifford as they have no service centers in the UK only distibuters ie Auto Armour

Mr Toad
Old 10 August 2011, 12:36 AM
hoyty
Scooby Regular

Nothing wrong with my sigma trouble free no false alarms and it works unlike the Clifford I had in my 300zx pro installed always kept going off after a hot day cool evening
Old 10 August 2011, 10:36 AM
Mr_Clifford_Installer
BANNED

Originally Posted by MR_TOAD_INSTALLER
Total Bollocks on wiring maybe Clifford will get into the EU coating thickness
wiring is the same but the coating is reduced
Toad are and will always be bullit proof unlike Cliffords that have had major problems according to may customers
Hornet is the budget off what is no longer Clifford as they have no service centers in the UK only distibuters ie Auto Armour

Mr Toad
Such hostility when confronted with facts.

1/ Clifford use a 3mm wire which has a load capacity higher than the required 30 amps. Toad use a thinwall 1mm wire which has a peak load of around 30 and a constant load of around 10-15 amps

2/ In my experience, Cliffords have the same reliability level as Toad. Most faults found with alarms are attributed to one of 3 things. Faulty alarm (rare), fault with the vehicle (door switches, central locking faults which cause the alarm to give issues), Installation fault.

3/ Hornet is indeed a budget alarm and is supplied via DEI who are the parent company of Clifford. In the UK, all DEI products are supplied by Armour Auto although DEI do actually have an office in the UK which deals with its entire european operation.
Toad alarms are made by Liteon in the far east. They are distributed by Scorpion in the UK. This is also the case for Sterling which is also made by Liteon.

I hope this clears everything up.
Old 10 August 2011, 01:07 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

The Mr_Clifford_Installer installer account is now permanently banned as a duplicate account for Jesus H - that account is also being infracted for its blatent use.
Old 12 August 2011, 12:31 PM
MR_TOAD_INSTALLER
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=
3/ Hornet is indeed a budget alarm and is supplied via DEI who are the parent company of Clifford. In the UK, all DEI products are supplied by Armour Auto although DEI do actually have an office in the UK which deals with its entire european operation.
Toad alarms are made by Liteon in the far east. They are distributed by Scorpion in the UK. This is also the case for Sterling which is also made by Liteon.

I hope this clears everything up.[/QUOTE]

I wont go on to much as he cannot reply
But Toad and Sigma and Scorpion are all manufactured in Preston at there head office now and have done for about a year
so British made cant say fairer than That

Ian
Old 13 August 2011, 08:50 AM
Nic1911
Scooby Regular

But Toad and Sigma and Scorpion are all manufactured in Preston at there head office now and have done for about a year

Ian
I heard that Toad were made in the UK for the UK market where as clifford are American made for their market and as a result don't work as well over here plus some of the reasons mentioned above and that they are so techincal that they draw so much power too.
I have therefore decided to get a Toad alarm but didnt think the extra inputs of the Ai606 were worth it so I got a sterling one.
thanks for everyones comments and advice though
Old 13 August 2011, 08:56 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by hoyty
Nothing wrong with my sigma trouble free no false alarms and it works unlike the Clifford I had in my 300zx pro installed always kept going off after a hot day cool evening
Sigma here, never had a issue either.
Old 21 August 2011, 06:53 PM
Jesus H
Scooby Regular

Ian

Toad, Sigma and Scorpion alarms are "Assembled" in the UK. This allows them to be advertised as "Made in the UK"