Notices

Clifford BlackJax... better than a Tracker??

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 2002, 10:59 PM
eyeMAJIC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just saw the "Tracker" thread, and was wondering....

In the light of recent crimes involving people being rear-ended & having their motor nicked when they get out.... surely something like this would be a great idea??

Does anyone have one?? Any reports??

<from Clifford.co.uk>

BlackJax 4™
A stand-alone anti-hijacking system, BlackJax has already saved lives, not just vehicles. You should do nothing in a volatile hijack situation except get out of your car. BlackJax 4 terminates carjackings by allowing the criminal to drive away in your car a safe distance before safely shutting the engine down. With siren blaring and lights flashing, the thief has no choice but to abandon your vehicle.
Old 08 March 2002, 11:21 PM
Great~taste~Bloke
Scooby Regular

can you tell us more about BlackJax 4™?
Matthew
Old 08 March 2002, 11:50 PM
tezza
Scooby Regular

Lets not!!!
terry
Old 09 March 2002, 12:12 AM
Mr.Manchester
Scooby Regular

I think these ideas are good, my mates got a blackjack system on his VW Corrado. But i think id rather have a tracker, reason being, will the blackjack arm itself if you leave the doors unlocked whilst you nip in the shop for a paper and leave your car unlocked?
It doesnt matter with a tracker because they can still tell where the car is.

Most good alarms these days come with some sort of blackjack system installed already, only one option, GET BOTH!

Andy.
Old 09 March 2002, 08:50 AM
Piefan
Scooby Newbie

Smile

I had this on my previous motor. It worked on all doors and would start beeping at you loudly if the code wasn't entered after about 30 seconds before sounding the alarm at full volume if your code still wasn't entered. I think it would cut the power when the car was at a slow speed rather than after a certain amount of time.

Apparently, if the anti-hijack mechanism is activated then the alarm is no longer category 1 compliant as the requirements for this is that the alarm does not cut the power/turn off the engine in anyway.
Old 09 March 2002, 03:20 PM
CELL
Scooby Regular

Mr Manchester, you can actually set it to self arm, so if you forget to lock it or just want to nip in the shop it should be safe. However i have to say i will NEVER leave mine open, even for a few seconds.

Cheers

Chris
Old 09 March 2002, 03:37 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Cool

Im looking at getting a blackjack thingy & was quoted £250 for just that as i already have alarm etc.
The disadvantage over tracker is it aint thatcham aproved so makes bugger all difference 2 me insurance but hell much better 4 me paranoia
Si
Old 09 March 2002, 11:24 PM
Dox
Scooby Regular

Si,

I'd have a word with Max the Clifford Dealer about the Thatcham status. Apparently there has been a long discussion within the ranks of the VSIB regarding BlackJax and Cat1. I understand that it can now be installed and retain the Thatcham approval.

Regards
Dox
Old 09 March 2002, 11:58 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Wink

Indeed but the blackjax itself does nothing to make the insurance cheaper as i already have cat1 but im still guna go 4 it when i have a few more pennies
Si
Old 10 March 2002, 08:01 PM
mccltd
Scooby Regular

I did have a group buy going on the Blackjax 4 last week.

£160 All in.
Send me a mail if your ineterested and I shall contact you.

Rgds,

Dave.
Old 10 March 2002, 08:09 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Red face

Hmm tempting but to go 2 Kent i may as well pay £250 & save da petrol
Si
Old 12 March 2002, 01:23 AM
Scoty
Scooby Regular

Smile

Helo peeps,

If you have got your clifford programed to act as a turbo timer,
you can use it as an alternative to blackjax. Instead of keeping the remote attached to the keys in the ignition, keep the remote in your pocket. If someone takes your car while it's running, press the turbo timer button of the remote, and the engine will cut off after the time you have set the timer. £100 to get the Clifford acting as a turbo timer, but be carefull it doesn't void your insurance. It's probably best to get Blackjax or similar, but this is just one more option open to us.

Scoty
Old 15 March 2002, 07:54 PM
fastfox13
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

The thing with Blackjax is that it doesn't need any form of activation on the part of the (unfortunate)owner when being hi-jacked. The action of the door opening whilst the engine running puts the sequence in motion.
Also the other benefit - stops key crime. Key crime is where the theif nicks the keys (with the alarm fob on it) from your house. He then dis-arms the alarm and drives off. If the car has blackjax on it the system will be needing to see the code or the car will stop. It as a hidden form of security.
Excellent piece of kit.
Old 25 March 2002, 09:36 PM
SilverfoxBMW
Scooby Newbie

Im new to this forum! Although I don't have a Scoob, I can add some input on things like security etc as I'm concerned with it on my car.

Some people have talked about Tracker, well do you know it can take upto 2 days for the Police to get around to getting your car?
Let me give you an example. I called 2 weeks ago to have a stolen car removed from near our work premises, and to date, the car is still here. Its evidently been stolen and dumped, as it has some 9 parking fines on it. Now the Police aren't blind, at this is the main route into the City Centre. Take this into account, its not the Police's responsibility to remove stolen cars unless they are blocking the highway. Secondly, the Police do not just channel their resources to go and find your stolen car. People think that as soon as its stolen the Police are onto it right away - wrong!

Let me give you an example, say your car was stolen, with the Tracker system on. Now in this scenario you get the car back after say a nominal 10 hours, which isnt impossible, as it can take upto 2 days. For 10 hours the car will have been thrashed, or parts stolen, and perhaps lightly vandalised. Its then found, and likely to go on a Cat.D Stolen/Recovered document, hence reducing the value of your car. See although the car may be found, who knows in what state, and to what extent the insurance will cover damage, and for example a burnt out clutch?

With the BlackJax its different in the terms of that the car doesnt actually get that far away from you even in a carjacking situation. So you can disappear for cover whilst its stops itself.
It also acts as another immobiliser for the car. I think the old saying comes up again with this one, "prevention is better then cure".

SilverFoxBMW
Old 25 March 2002, 11:45 PM
scoobypig
Scooby Regular

I think U need both!
I'm having blackjax fitted soon but think about it.
Criminals will cotton on to the system and may read this board.
Given the apparent number of gun crimes lately u can imagine how someone could get past the blackjax, Gun to head..etc i won't elaborate.
If it is nicked the tracker may help catch the scums.
Personally i think its time both were fitted as standard.
Old 26 March 2002, 01:02 AM
SilverfoxBMW
Scooby Newbie

Scoobypig,

the idea of my post was to highlight the loss you could make, and its unlikely that a scooby or other high performance car is likely to be driven slow! Its gonna get thrashed, and who knows what internal damage may occur? Its possible the insurance might never ray out for a new car, and it is likely to go on Cat.d register.

Better off not seeing it again to be honest.

Silverfox
Old 03 August 2002, 11:48 PM
cyberman
Scooby Newbie

Cool

Clever bit of kit, made mainly for the U.S but now becoming common in UK as we are starting to suffer same problems, each time the drivers door (or both) is opened,it activates the system, whether or not the engines on, **************** ****************** ******************* *************** ***********the car will drive for roughly 1 minute and then just slowly die, it also sounds all the usual alarms linked to it, before the car can be driven, you must ************ ************** ************** *********just legs it.
There is a valet mode for when you have your car in the garage so it will not go off accidently.
hope this helps
cyberman

[edited to remove security disarming technique!!!!!]

[Edited by Richard Askew - 3/11/2002 12:23:26 PM]
Old 03 September 2002, 09:08 AM
scoobyrob
Scooby Regular

yeah ive got the Concept 600 which includes blackjax, very good tool, i even get caught out by it!!! once the engine is started i have to ************************************ ******************************* ******************************** ********************************** ********************, and when mine goes of it does make some sound and it shuts down the engine!!!!

I would say it is better than the tracker.

rob

[edited to remove the disarming security sequence!!!!]

[Edited by Richard Askew - 3/11/2002 12:19:47 PM]