Notices

security question

Search this Thread

Old 30 January 2009, 11:30 AM
dirk dangler
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default security question

hi all. i have a 1995 wrx , i was wondering if they are quite secure. i had a few cars done over , over the years so am a bit paranoid when it comes to my cars now. are they easy to get into and be nicked? as far as i can see there`s no immobilzer on them. is this right? ive got it booked into get a toad AI606 Alarm fitted. i know it has a tracker that i just need to transfer it into my name . just wondering if its worth while doing so. any info would be great. cheers, steve
Old 30 January 2009, 04:03 PM
Car Security Expert
Scooby Regular

If it's an import... they arent very secure at all. The best option is to have a Thatcham Category 1 alarm system fitted and make sure it is fitted properly and by an approved installer... Ask to see their VSIB or MESF certificates.

A poorly fitted alarm is as bad as no alarm at all.

I recently had a look at a car for a guy who had his car broken into. They had the alarm shut down and the car almost ready to start in under 30 seconds.. All they used was a power drill a big screwdriver and a couple of scotchlocks.

If it wasn't for someone walking along the road who had approached them the car would have been gone.
Old 31 January 2009, 10:51 AM
audioscape
Scooby Regular

sadly this is all too true when "so called" fitters put alarms in the immobiliser cuts are allways in the same place and they never take out enough cable! make sure vsib. all vsib installers should have an imbossed stamp with their accrededation number on which will be on your installation certificate. to fit a cat1 properly should take a mininum of a couple of hours, not 1 hour any monkey can do it in that time.