Notices

RAC Trackstar or Blackjax??

Search this Thread

Old 23 August 2007, 09:55 PM
magicgreg
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RAC Trackstar or Blackjax??

I'm just pondering over whether to pay for discounted 3 year deal for the RAC Trackstar or just get a Blackjax system fitted....

What are peoples opinions on this?

My train of thought is that if the car gets nicked, sure the boys in blue will be able to track the car down with the Trackstar but the car will have been ragged by a piece of scum, will I want the car back like this.....

or

Get a Blackjax fitted and the car will shut down before the scum can rag it and get away.

Any opinions are welcomed.

Cheers

G
Old 23 August 2007, 11:39 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

RAC Trackstar read of numerous people ringing up RAC to find out that there system is not working properly

Blackjax is effective but is a fooking pain in the ar$e. When it won't accept the code it really pi$$es you off.

If you can get away with it (i.e. insurance) I would not bother with either.
Old 11 October 2007, 11:16 PM
bushiwarrior
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have both mate
Old 12 October 2007, 12:40 AM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bushiwarrior
i have both mate
ditto.......well worth the hassle
Old 12 October 2007, 04:51 PM
Jesus H
Scooby Regular

Callguard 2 with a SMS immobiliser point.

Why......

1/ It can be set up as a basic tracker using various websites: FollowUs - Mobile Phone Tracking, Locate Mobile, Trace Mobile, Mobile Tracing

2/ It can send a text message to you if your alarm is triggered and it can be fitted to many different alarm systems.

3/ It can be fitted with an immobiliser point that is switched on and off via SMS. If your car gets hijacked you can just get out then text the code to your car.

It does way more than a normal tracker/trackstar system and ........

It's cheaper.
Old 12 October 2007, 09:31 PM
magicgreg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jesus H
Callguard 2 with a SMS immobiliser point.

Why......

1/ It can be set up as a basic tracker using various websites: FollowUs - Mobile Phone Tracking, Locate Mobile, Trace Mobile, Mobile Tracing

2/ It can send a text message to you if your alarm is triggered and it can be fitted to many different alarm systems.

3/ It can be fitted with an immobiliser point that is switched on and off via SMS. If your car gets hijacked you can just get out then text the code to your car.

It does way more than a normal tracker/trackstar system and ........

It's cheaper.
Sounds like my set up with Metasat.

G
Old 16 October 2007, 06:32 PM
OLLIeRB5
Scooby Regular

a properly fitted RAC system is excellent. sadly a lot of installers dont bother to check the system is locating and working properly, they just rely on the flashes (i`d a 360 ferrari in recently that had never been tested and it turned out for over 2 years the system hadnt worked, needless to say, it works now)

blackjax is a pain yes, but its also something that can pay for itself easily. ther only downfall is the valet button used to enter the code is often too flimsy and women with long nails can easy damage.

if funds allow, both, if not, the tracker would be my choice
Old 16 October 2007, 06:33 PM
OLLIeRB5
Scooby Regular

a properly fitted RAC system is excellent. sadly a lot of installers dont bother to check the system is locating and working properly, they just rely on the flashes (i`d a 360 ferrari in recently that had never been tested and it turned out for over 2 years the system hadnt worked, needless to say, it works now)

blackjax is a pain yes, but its also something that can pay for itself easily. ther only downfall is the valet button used to enter the code is often too flimsy and women with long nails can easy damage.

if funds allow, both, if not, the tracker would be my choice
Old 16 October 2007, 07:25 PM
Martin-STI
Scooby Regular

I have both but my car got stolen on the key due to broke in house whilst I was at work....

Car was 200yards away no damage at all....

Been sat there 2hours no phone calls from tracker due to stole on key didnt set off factory alarm.

Blackjac paid for itself there and then.
Old 17 October 2007, 12:13 PM
MotorG Raf
Scooby Regular

I have both the tracker monitor and the blackjax on my car. RAC trackstar is a big unit so a lot more difficult to hide.
Old 17 October 2007, 10:01 PM
Jen_M
Scooby Regular

If insurance do not need tracker - I would not get it - I would not want it back if stolen.

I just have a blackjaxx - must admit that some times I forget to put the code in,
Old 17 October 2007, 10:05 PM
Devious
Scooby Regular

had both on previous machine....

the tracker is the better option as there is away round the black jack system...
it could be driven away at 65mph and it wouldnt arm...

Tracker all the way!
Old 17 October 2007, 10:17 PM
RallyInfo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Devious
had both on previous machine....

It could be driven away at 65mph and it wouldnt arm...

Tracker all the way!
Explain?!
Old 18 October 2007, 02:18 PM
TimH
Orange Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The SPAL anti car jack device doesn't rely on codes, but uses a small transponder that you need to have on you otherwise the car cuts out after a few minutes.

Pain when you forget the transponder though
Old 18 October 2007, 07:58 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

That SPAL sounds far better than the blackjax (which was a pain in the nipsy as already mentioned) - how much is it fitted?
Old 18 October 2007, 10:58 PM
TimH
Orange Club

It wasn't fitted by me, but the receipt the previous owner gave me is for £300 fully fitted, 3 years ago.
Old 22 October 2007, 11:16 AM
bushiwarrior
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tim hardisty
The SPAL anti car jack device doesn't rely on codes, but uses a small transponder that you need to have on you otherwise the car cuts out after a few minutes.

Pain when you forget the transponder though
surely most people would have this on their keys anyway. i have blackjaxx and to enter a 2 or 3 digit code isnt any hassle considering the benefits. And as you say if you forget it or at worse lose the small transponder in a shopping centre whilst getting keys or money from your pocket your fecked until you retieve the spare until you lose that one too?
Old 22 October 2007, 01:14 PM
TimH
Orange Club

The point of the anti-hijack is if the car is taken at gun point (for example) the engine will be running and the keys already in the car. Likewise, many cars are now stolen by stealing the keys first - without the transponder the thieves will only get so far in the car. So you have to have the transponder in your pocket for example, not on the bunch of keys!

As for losing the transponder, like all security systems there are ways to disable it in such a situation - but I'm not going to tell you how on a public forum!
Old 25 October 2007, 12:18 PM
OLLIeRB5
Scooby Regular

tim, i had a guy in a while back enquiring about the new cat5 system using the transponder, but with having no dealings I was unable to answer his query.

would the transponder still work ok if you kept it in your wallet? as some i have seen are credit card style and would fit there quite well, for example?

or is there a small operating limit to the transponders range, as with keyless entry transponders etc?
Old 25 October 2007, 12:28 PM
TimH
Orange Club

The SPAL transponder works up to at least 5 metres away, as the car "knows" about it even when I leave it at home by mistake...until a few minutes away, when it cuts out .

It's about 60x40x6mm, so can just about be kept in a wallet OK.
Old 25 October 2007, 01:41 PM
OLLIeRB5
Scooby Regular

tim could you pm me info on this unit please? i`d quite fancy one myself.

thanks
Old 25 October 2007, 03:27 PM
TimH
Orange Club

What is it you need to know? If you do a google on "SPAL carjack" you should find most of what you need. For example, at the bottom of this page SPAL is a link to a product brochure.

If there's anything else you need to know but can't find, let me know
Old 25 October 2007, 05:52 PM
BIG FUD
Scooby Regular

Unhappy Its a hard 1

My car had thatcham 1 alarm and immobaliser on it, black jax, and still got nicked so dont bother getting either if you want my advice full tracker is deffo the best way forward the option where it activates auto when keys not used , but then you got problem if they break in and get ya keys you cant win beleive me
Old 25 October 2007, 08:42 PM
TimH
Orange Club

Originally Posted by mark ward
My car had thatcham 1 alarm and immobaliser on it, black jax, and still got nicked so dont bother getting either if you want my advice full tracker is deffo the best way forward the option where it activates auto when keys not used , but then you got problem if they break in and get ya keys you cant win beleive me
With the SPAL, the bar stewards may nick the car by breaking in and taking the keys, but they are not going to get very far with it - unless you attach the transponder to the keyring
Old 25 October 2007, 08:47 PM
BIG FUD
Scooby Regular

Red face nononononno

With the SPAL, the bar stewards may nick the car by breaking in and taking the keys, but they are not going to get very far with it - unless you attach the transponder to the keyring
Thats what we all would like to think my car was bump steered by 2 cars 1 in front 1 at rear up the road and stripped car was never started full moon lock was still attached when police got it.

They stripped car to bits in 4-5 hrs total loss so there you go fit what you want, do what you want if they want it they will have it simple as that and this is through exsperience not tlk..

ps yes i was shocked also and peeed of......
Old 25 October 2007, 10:42 PM
TimH
Orange Club

Guess I never thought of the car being stripped
Old 27 October 2007, 03:33 PM
Jesus H
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mark ward
Thats what we all would like to think my car was bump steered by 2 cars 1 in front 1 at rear up the road and stripped car was never started full moon lock was still attached when police got it.

They stripped car to bits in 4-5 hrs total loss so there you go fit what you want, do what you want if they want it they will have it simple as that and this is through exsperience not tlk..

ps yes i was shocked also and peeed of......

A simple impact(shock) sensor or tilt/motion sensor would have probably given you some warning of what was going on.

Unfortunately few factory systems come with a decent level of security. They are simply there to satisfy thatcham/insurance/manufacturer's needs. They don't consider the end users requirements.
Old 12 November 2007, 12:15 PM
scoobydavid
Scooby Regular

It wasn't fitted by me, but the receipt the previous owner gave me is for £300 fully fitted, 3 years ago.
have you had any problem with this since owning your car and are you the only one on here to have it and as i have never heard of the the spal system before and just want to check before having it installed

the blackjax sounds like alot bother and spal does seem to be the best idea
Old 12 November 2007, 12:31 PM
TimH
Orange Club

Originally Posted by scoobydavid
have you had any problem with this since owning your car and are you the only one on here to have it and as i have never heard of the the spal system before and just want to check before having it installed

the blackjax sounds like alot bother and spal does seem to be the best idea
No problems. The dongle thingy gets through a battery every 6 months or so (maybe that's the cheapo batteries I buy on eBay ), and I forget the dongle every now and again which is mildly embarassing as you have to grovel around to disable it. But nothing of any note at all.

I'd recommend it without hesitation.
Old 12 November 2007, 03:13 PM
scoobydavid
Scooby Regular

do you know of any one else that has the spal system

Quick Reply: RAC Trackstar or Blackjax??