Notices

Cobra launch world first !

Search this Thread

Old 20 December 2001, 09:13 PM
Nick@avs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

I have today received the new Cobra 7518 Category 2 to 1 upgrade alarms. So what's so different I hear you ask ?

The key difference with this alarm is that is has a five button remote. One button is used to arm the system and then to disarm you have to press 4 buttons in coded sequence. This obviously overcomes the fear of having your keys stolen. (This being the usual way to steal cars now with OE immobilisers)

The alarm also incorporates an immobiliser so the car will not be able to be started either, even with the car transponder key.

Old 21 December 2001, 09:02 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Now that's a good idea

Just a thought, does it let the thief get so far and then kill the engine (like blackjax), or does it manifest itself immediately?

It's great to know that there's innovation happening in this area. How long before starting a car requires biometrics?

Nick.
Old 21 December 2001, 04:02 PM
Nick@avs
Scooby Regular

The vehicle will be immobilised as soon as the alarm is set so the vehicle is unable to be driven at all, unlike the Blackjack system. This is a significant advance over anything currently available and is the first product to address the stolen key scenario adequately. The alarm could also be installed alongside a Category 2 if you required a Cat 1 system. Cobra are well known for their superb quality and reliability, so I'm sure this will be a very successful alarm.
Old 21 December 2001, 04:45 PM
kryten
Scooby Regular

Its a good idea, however, what does it mean for the scumbags who break into your house to nick the keys? OK, so the opportunist who grabs the keys from your pocket may give up, but what about those who are _serious_ about getting the car?

Will they come back in and get you to disarm the car?

I have a mate who's from South Africa. Anti-hijack systems are now very common and so it is usual for the carjacker to keep the driver with them, at gunpoint, just in case......

Also, must be a bit of a pain when its p**sing with rain and you're running across a dark carpark full of puddles with handfuls of shopping
Old 21 December 2001, 05:38 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

Its a good idea but i prefer the Black jack system from clifford, the main reason being is that it puts distance between you and the thieves, if this new system wont let you start the car full stop i think the baseball bat approach will be on the agenda
Nice try thou but still puts the owner in the firing line

Tony
Old 22 December 2001, 01:03 AM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

I think I'd prefer this as an alternative to Black jacks as I suspect most thieves would torch the car when it stopped to destroy the evidence as well as it being a bit of a buzz. You don't have to take a car far to crash it either - better they can't take off in the first place.
Old 25 December 2001, 10:07 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Trust me Boost, when your alarm (with horn attached ) is going off the last thing that any theif wants to do is torch your car, getting out of there at the fastest possible pace is much easier for them! they wont be thinking of consequences until after as all those people that look out of their windows will be able to recognise them

Tony