Notices

Just had my car pinched yesterday but..

Search this Thread

Old 03 May 2007, 05:01 PM
Mother Theresa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just had my car pinched yesterday but..

picked up the same evening as it had a Tracker (phew!). The toe-rags got the keys by breaking into the house whilst we were sleeping.

So the question is this: What is available to prevent theft that would not normally be deactived by something that is on the key-fob. The other thing is that I am human and if it was too complex I wouldn't use it. I guess the ideal would be a key pad based device but they may be something I haven't thought of.

Your advice would be welcome because it's been a miserable 24 hours.
Old 03 May 2007, 08:55 PM
Jesus H
Scooby Regular

Callguard 2.

Remote immobiliser via your mobile phone. Invisible and easy to operate. If you do forget to activate it and the car gets stolen then you can still activate it as soon as you notice the car has disappeared.
Old 03 May 2007, 08:57 PM
steve nic
Scooby Regular

A CLIFFORD ALARM WITH BLACK JAX ACTIVATED
Old 03 May 2007, 09:37 PM
ScoobaSteve
Scooby Regular

What sort of prices are the cliffors alarms with Blackjax?
Old 04 May 2007, 10:02 AM
MotorG Raf
Scooby Regular

would recommend the Clifford C650. The 650 comes with blackjax as standard and you can also wire a turbo timer of the alarm. The price range from 325-399 pounds
Old 04 May 2007, 12:01 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mother Theresa
picked up the same evening as it had a Tracker (phew!). The toe-rags got the keys by breaking into the house whilst we were sleeping.

So the question is this: What is available to prevent theft that would not normally be deactived by something that is on the key-fob. The other thing is that I am human and if it was too complex I wouldn't use it. I guess the ideal would be a key pad based device but they may be something I haven't thought of.

Which model of car?

With UK Subaru's, you can disable the keyfobs so that only the security keypad disables the alarm/immobiliser

Shaun
Old 04 May 2007, 02:26 PM
Mother Theresa
Scooby Regular

It's a UK WRX but I suspect I wouldn't use it as it is too fiddly. I guess what I want is a membrane style keypad stuck on the dash or somewhere that needs a number keying in before the key would start the engine. No combination, no start. Easy.
Old 05 May 2007, 07:57 AM
Jesus H
Scooby Regular

there are some bio-immobilisers now that are only deactivated after scanning your fingerprint..
Old 05 May 2007, 09:02 AM
Mother Theresa
Scooby Regular

What a brilliant idea, if they can do it for laptops why not cars.
Old 05 May 2007, 07:54 PM
marmski
Scooby Regular

What a brilliant idea, if they can do it for laptops why not cars.
How about the fact that the robber comes back and cuts ur hand off for the car instead. Not a good idea.
Old 05 May 2007, 08:09 PM
Jesus H
Scooby Regular

what a stupid comment to make.
Old 05 May 2007, 08:20 PM
mcraes legacy
Scooby Regular

simple cut off switch, main feed to the ignition snap in half and connect a on/off switch to it, basically what you do when you wire in a FIA competition switch without wireing up the main feed.........very simple, only you know about it and where the switch is, if you keys get nicked it wont start.
Old 05 May 2007, 08:44 PM
marmski
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jesus H
what a stupid comment to make.
Why stupid? In an age where people are shot and stabbed for high performance cars... cutting a finger off to get the past and immobiliser isnt exactly hardcore.

I personally would rather lose the car.
Old 05 May 2007, 08:45 PM
marmski
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mcraes legacy
simple cut off switch, main feed to the ignition snap in half and connect a on/off switch to it, basically what you do when you wire in a FIA competition switch without wireing up the main feed.........very simple, only you know about it and where the switch is, if you keys get nicked it wont start.
Now this is a good idea....
Old 05 May 2007, 10:10 PM
Jesus H
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by marmski
Why stupid? In an age where people are shot and stabbed for high performance cars... cutting a finger off to get the past and immobiliser isnt exactly hardcore.

I personally would rather lose the car.
why bother owning a car then.. it's obviously way to dangerous...
Old 08 May 2007, 12:09 PM
MotorG Raf
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jesus H
why bother owning a car then.. it's obviously way to dangerous...
Fully agree with Jesus H
Old 17 June 2007, 10:03 AM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

As above, UK cars you can disable the keys anyway. When i go away i code the alarm to ignore ALL the keys, so ONLY the keypad will disable the alarm and immobiliser. So they can take what keys they bloody like. Well that and other security measures
Old 17 June 2007, 11:34 AM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

TBH if they want my car bad enough I would let them have it, an alarm is only designed as a deterant a proffessional will have it by whatever means necessary, at the end of the day my life along with my families is worth more than the car as I can always get another one thats why I pay my insurance for.

If you want to disable the car, blackjax is the way to go, as they will be down the road and a safe distance away before they even realise it has kicked in, this would hopefully stop them coming back as they should know the poilce are on the way, personally disabling a car on your driveway is inviting the crook to come back into your house, which I would assume is not what you want.

Just my thoughts.
Old 17 June 2007, 03:52 PM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I take it you dont already own a disklok!!! they a are good deterrant or you could get a wheel clamp. Gettin a cut-out switch is a great idea aswell, no one exspects them anymore!! and it can be hidden anywhere!
Old 17 June 2007, 05:28 PM
rob.dren.1981
Scooby Regular

ive got clifford black jax , when it cut in i couldnt even move the car with the keys, you need the code for the interior switch aswell as the keys, activates within 1 min of driving off and then cars dead,
Old 18 June 2007, 02:10 PM
MotorG Raf
Scooby Regular

clifford blackjax is your best bet and they are very popular with scooby owners
Old 18 June 2007, 02:17 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

I presume you got the car back then? Any damage?
Old 19 June 2007, 11:46 PM
martb4
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by marmski
How about the fact that the robber comes back and cuts ur hand off for the car instead. Not a good idea.
All the bio switches I know off require blood flow through the finger, so a severed finger/hand will not work.

(Buggered if you cut your finger off at work etc and need to drive to hospital )
Old 20 June 2007, 12:14 AM
every1sgottablue1
Scooby Regular

Hide your keys??????
Old 20 June 2007, 07:22 PM
VTR Bondy
Scooby Regular

A garage???? If its not seen its less of a target and if your garage is alarmed too they arn't gonna have long to get your motor out, with the above mentioned i beleive you'll keep all your fingers, your life and your motor.
Old 20 June 2007, 07:38 PM
STi5_TypeR_VLtd
Scooby Regular

Can someone explain how the Blackjax works? have read the little info on clifford site but still no clearer...

Rob
Old 21 June 2007, 10:03 AM
MotorG Raf
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi5_TypeR_VLtd
Can someone explain how the Blackjax works? have read the little info on clifford site but still no clearer...

Rob
You will get a small key pad that you have to enter your unique code on, if that code is not entered then the car will eventually shut down and the siren will go mad.
Old 21 June 2007, 05:26 PM
wrxsti280
Scooby Regular

get the clifford blackjax system, but just buy this on its own and keep your current alarm system, and it keeps the cost down, worth it's weight in gold imho
Old 22 June 2007, 10:42 PM
martyrobertsdj
Scooby Regular

I've just been looking at this:
AUTO-TXT
It looks quite good.

I can imagine some criminals being so keen to get certain cars, that they may drive off in your Black Jax equipped car, get immobilised and then run back to you to beat the code out of you, or drag you to the car to get it going again.

I would be more concerned about being hijacked at traffic lights and the like. If you don't turn off the ignition does Black Jax still work?? I think this Auto TXT or some other remote immobilisation system would be better, as you could let the thieves drive off and when they are a safe distance away, immobilise the car via your mobile phone.

I don't think you can beat some sort of physical immobiliser, but if it's outside your house, 5 masked men with bats will soon have you removing any such items very courteously thank you very much.
Old 23 June 2007, 04:58 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

I have blackjax on mine too. Usually fit it on most cars I own.

As part of the 650MkII its a simple piece of kit.

Regardless of what alarm/immobiliser you have, it runs seperatly.
ONLY deactivated by entering your PIN in via the visible valet switch.

TO start a journey, you unlock your car as usual, alarm remote etc.
Get in the car and start the engine. Once started you enter you pin using the * and blank buttons to enter the PIN number.

Failure to do so will start an automatic countdown. You can set your preferences on it, but in short the following happens.
Once the brake pedal is hit, the countdown starts. 5 alarm chirps, a flashing LED and your brakelights will begin to flash, warning cars behind something is not right....

Then, when the revs drop to a set level, the engine and all electrics will die. And the alarm will begin to sound, with the lights flashing.

You CANNOT stop this with the remote, ONLY the PIN number entered on the valet switch.

Once you have entered your pin and begun your journey, the system will look for the opening of any doors. If a door is opened while the car is running, simulating a carjacking, the cycle will begin again, and the pin will need to be entered again to again confirm all is well. If you dont, the above alarm cycle will begin.

Hope thats a bit clearer.

Its a VERY worthwhile system, as it not only prevents carjacking but also is brilliant for preventing theft with keys which is becoming so common. And if prob one of the best ways to let the theives think they are getting away with it, keeping you safe.

With reference to the above post, and the theif coming back to get the code. Under normal circumstances they will be a good few hundred metres away, and you will hopefully have had time to get some distance between you. From start to finish it wont trigger for about 60-90 seconds, maybe a little longer depending on the way the car is driven.

As for, does it work if you dont turn the ignition off. Yes it does, thats what its designed for. If the ignition is on and the doors are opened, it assumed its a carjack. If the ignition is off and the car is started without the pin, it assumes car theft

Last edited by Snazy; 23 June 2007 at 05:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Just had my car pinched yesterday but..