Notices

Tracker Options?

Search this Thread

Old 09 December 2001, 04:20 PM
Bludax
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any suggestions for the best device to have fitted? I am taking delivery (via Holland) of new WRX in mid Jan.My insurance company, Privilege, told me in July when I was placing the order that no tracker was required. Now, when I seek a cover note for registration etc., they tell me I must have one!(and there has been a Dutch price increase- so another £1K at least on the bill in total!). Typical!
I am inclined to Trackstar,but can any of you experienced owners out there tell me if there is any clear advantage/disadvantage in the satellite system as against radio signalling?
Old 09 December 2001, 10:31 PM
Madman
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Blundax

I've just taken delivery of a WRX and have done some research.

I'm insured with Direct Line, the sister company to Privelege.

They won't accept Tracker Retrieve, i.e. if you have to ring the tracker company to report the car stolen, they'll only accept Tracker Monitor or above, where a signal is sent to them that the car is being moved and they get in touch with you. I believe the basic RAC Trackstar is the same as the Retrieve.

I've gone for Tracker Horizen which uses both the GPS and radio signals to track your car, works out at £747 for the product, fitting and one years membership. The top RAC Tracker, without emergency and breakdown alarm is slightly cheaper but 21 quid dearer subscription.

It's up to you, but I went for this as it utilises both systems.

Sorry if this doesn't make much sense, just come out of the pub, if it does make sense great, if not let me know and I'll write tomorrow when I'm sober.
Old 13 December 2001, 06:54 PM
Bludax
Scooby Regular

Thanks Madman for your response.

As I have to find more hard cash up front to complete the car purchase, I think I will go with the 24 hour Trackstar next week; unless anyone tells me "no" by the end of the week-end.I like the idea of their 0% finance plan of £23.50pm over 36 months.

Erik
Old 13 December 2001, 07:34 PM
Madman
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Probably a good idea - spoke to Tracker this week and there is a four to five week lead time on delivery and installation. If you're like me and need one for insurance it's a long time to wait. Having the Monitor fitted instead - next week!!!!!
Old 14 December 2001, 02:01 PM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

Took delivery in October of a new WRX,Insured with privilege who stated i had to have a Cat1 with a Tracker + i added a barrier deadlock all fitted within 2 days of delivery,beware they have a habit of moving the goalposts from the quote to taking out the policy (BIG price increase)they didnt specify the type of Tracker as long as it had one.Your not insured for theft until they have proof of installation.
ZIPPY