Notices

Alarm on 03 STI Uk

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2007, 10:19 PM
WarrenSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Alarm on 03 STI Uk

Not used the car for a few days, thought I'd fire it up this afternoon and the alarm wouldn't disarm from the button on the key.
So I manually opened the drivers door with the key, expecting the siren to sound but nothing happened. Also the central locking didn't open the other doors.
The LED indicator on the dash seems to be flashing but when I press the button on the key the LED stays on constantly for a few seconds.
Also the ignition lights are very dim when I turn on the ignition.

I suspect it could be the car battery is flat due to lack of use for the past week or so.
I will charge it up this weekend.
But has anyone else had similar probs and found it not to be the battery
Cheers Warren
Old 07 February 2007, 11:09 PM
"OE Alarm" Sam
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From your description it definately sounds like the vehicle battery has run flat and in that scenario the alarm has behaved as I would have expected, but can you just confirm the following:
When you mention the LED do you mean the one to the left of the clock in the centre pod or the one in the instrument cluster?
When you say that pressing the button on the key causes the LED to stay on for a few seconds, is the ignition on or off whilst you do this?

A usual sign of low vehicle battery voltage is the occasional chirp from the siren when cranking the engine over before things reach the stage described above.
There have been several posts on here over the years relating to flat batteries on the new age cars - the problem appears to stem from the fitment of "smart" alternators that only charge the battery when they detect a discharge. To ensure their batteries are always fully charged some forum users drive around with their sidelights on constantly so the alternator detects the discharge and is always charging.

SS
Old 07 February 2007, 11:27 PM
WarrenSTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by "OE Alarm" Sam
From your description it definately sounds like the vehicle battery has run flat and in that scenario the alarm has behaved as I would have expected, but can you just confirm the following:
When you mention the LED do you mean the one to the left of the clock in the centre pod or the one in the instrument cluster?
When you say that pressing the button on the key causes the LED to stay on for a few seconds, is the ignition on or off whilst you do this?

A usual sign of low vehicle battery voltage is the occasional chirp from the siren when cranking the engine over before things reach the stage described above.
There have been several posts on here over the years relating to flat batteries on the new age cars - the problem appears to stem from the fitment of "smart" alternators that only charge the battery when they detect a discharge. To ensure their batteries are always fully charged some forum users drive around with their sidelights on constantly so the alternator detects the discharge and is always charging.

SS
Regarding your points

1.The LED is the one next to the clock.
2. The LED stays on constant for a few seconds when the ignition is off.

Regrding the alternator etc-
When I first bought the car about 2 years ago I had a right load of meither with it and the supplying Subaru main agent firstly fitted a new alternator, that still didn't sort out the problem and then they fitted a new battery as well as a new Trackstar which they suspected could be draining the battery.

They recomended to me to drive round with the sidelight on as well.
Which usually I do, to save being cought out.

Cheers for your help hopefully it will be ok once charged.

How long do normally charge a vehicle battery for?
Do you think I should remove it and bring it indoors to charge it or will this mess up the cars electrical system/ECU
Old 08 February 2007, 11:33 AM
"OE Alarm" Sam
BANNED

Yep, we're talking about the same LED and the fact that it illuminates when you're pressing the remote indicates that the remote is transmitting and the alarm is receiving and reacting ok, so not Radio Lock-out..

As its an STI I meant to mention the RAC Trackstar system last night- I know there were some issues and they updated the software to prevent battery drain around 03-04, but if yours has been changed I would hope you have the latest software in it. From memory I think the problem occured if the vehicle was started on a drive way and then driven only a short distance into a garage without the system getting a satelite fix - once left in the garage the system continued to search for a satelite (to no avail in the garage) until the battery discharged.
I hope someone will correct me if thats not a fair description. If your flat battery has occured after a similar situation then it may be worth checking the Trackstar software revision.

Theoretically you should remove the negative battery terminal from the vehicle before charging it, however, personally I would leave both battery terminals connected as more and more modern vehicles require electrical systems re-setting if the battery is removed.

SS
Old 08 February 2007, 10:59 PM
WarrenSTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by "OE Alarm" Sam
Theoretically you should remove the negative battery terminal from the vehicle before charging it, however, personally I would leave both battery terminals connected as more and more modern vehicles require electrical systems re-setting if the battery is removed.

SS
I'm going to charge it on Saturday so do you think I should disconnect the negative or not, Supplying dealer said to disconect it whilst charging.

But I don't want to create more probs by having to have the electrical systems reset.
Old 10 February 2007, 03:32 AM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

You can leave the battery connected if you are using a smart charger, because these tend to supply DC to the battery. Older chargers that tend to be rather heavy (large tranformer inside), supply a rather course nasty voltage to the battery that is far from a nice flat DC. This sinewave can damage car electronics.

dipster
Old 10 February 2007, 08:15 PM
WarrenSTI
Scooby Regular

Got it sorted
Jump started it of the Mini, left it running for a few mins on the drive with jump leads still on, so not to cause a power surge on the alternater and electrics. Then went for a run to the Lymm roundabout and back on trhe M56.
Then went to the garage to check tyre presures and get petrol, was worried it might not start again but it was fine.
A mate of mine is going to check the alternator next week

It feels bloody quick, because I have been driving round in the mini for the last 10 days or so.

Nice one