Notices

Question for "OE Alarm" Sam

Search this Thread

Old 10 January 2007, 05:22 PM
Slap Head
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question for "OE Alarm" Sam

As well as the alarm fitted to the scoob, I have a Sigma S34, fitted to a Ford Transit, the question is 1, what should the current consumption of the alarm be when armed? and 2, will it affect any settings/programming of the alarm if i unplug the multi-pin connector from the alarm to check if this affetcs the current consumpution at the battery?

The main problem i have is that after not using the van over the weekend, by monday morning i have a flat battery, and the local Ford Dealer is convinced it is caused by the alarm.

The current consumption is 0.02amp without the alarm armed and 0.16amp with alarm armed, is this normal? as the maximum recommended by Ford 0.05amp

Tim
Old 10 January 2007, 07:25 PM
"OE Alarm" Sam
BANNED

Hi Tim,
An S-Series alarm system on its own should draw 0.02 amps when armed - this is indicated on the foil lable on the unit itself.

Disconnecting any of the connectors from the alarm unit, including the 24-pole connector won't effect the S34 settings when it is reconnected, so yes, you can remove it to check the consumptionand and plug it back in again with no ill effects.
It may also be woth checking the current draw with the vehicle locked with both the alarm armed and disarmed.

A continual draw of 0.16 amps, that you mention above would be a problem. A 72Ah (Amp hour) battery, for example, with a 72 amp draw would discharge in an hour, with a 1 amp draw in 72 hours, but obviously problems will occur starting the vehicle well before the battery is fully discharged.

It is very unlikely to be the alarm unit itself that is causing this current draw however.
I suspect that the alarm unit is switching a relay somewhere (via the door locking outputs or the accesory socket) and it is this relay that is causing the problem.

Unless you are aware of any accesories fitted to the alrm unit, then the most likely cause is that a relay has been used to connect the alarm's central locking outputs to the vehicles central locking system - and this has been wired incorrectly, drawing current continually when in the locked/armed state.
Although the S34 is the correct system for the Transit to upgrade the vehicles existing Cat 2 immobiliser and gain full Cat 1 staus, I'm not familiar with the installation, particularly the pitfalls when connecting the S34 lock outputs to a Transit's CDL.
I would enquire if the installer used a relay in the CDL connection, as testing the current draw with the 24-pole connector removed may not be conclusive if this is the case and may falsly lead you to suspecting the alarm unit.

If you are aware of some accessories that are being switch from the alarm unit's accessory socket, then before disconnecting the large white 24-pole alarm connector, I would remove the small white 8-pole connector (on the opposite side of the alarm unit) if this is fitted and then check the current draw again with alarm armed.
If the current draw falls to an acceptable level with this 8-pole connector removed, then it is likely that an accessory or relay connected to the unit via this plug is the source of the excessive draw.

Hope thats some help.
Personally I would take the vehicle back to whoever fitted the system for you as it is most likely to be the installation at fault.

SS

Last edited by "OE Alarm" Sam; 10 January 2007 at 08:30 PM.
Old 10 January 2007, 07:44 PM
Slap Head
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that Sam, the alarm does have a relay to operate (as far as i am aware) the double locking, so i'll give removing the accessory connector a go first and check the current consumption again and if that is the problem get back in touch with the installer

Tim