Notices

Upgrade or No?

Search this Thread

Old 16 October 2001, 11:36 PM
Scooby_Maxus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'Been doing a bit of research to get a view on what's best for my MY01. So far options appear to be:-

1) Ditch OE alarm and install Clifford 500/600 system- favoured product by many ScoobyNet readers.

Talked to 5 different companies (all with vested interest in their own systems!!!!) they variously said that Clifford systems are:- overly complex and this is it's weakness; poor reliability/liable to break; high cost relative to competitor products; lots of "bells'n'whistles" that are not really needed. What's the real story?

FYI Competition typically costing £350-£450.

2) Install a second independent Cat 2 system to run alongside factory item.

3) Fit a tracker with passive/active monitoring. Costs from £499-£599 with £120pa rolling cost for RAC Trackstar.

So rather than making it clearer I am still unsure what is best!!!! Any comments?

ps Is the OE Subaru item a Sigma unit?
Old 17 October 2001, 10:48 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Fit a tracker anyway, its a must on a scoob or any other high performance vehicle for that matter.
Dump your standard alarm and fit the clifford 600 system, yes it has lots of goodies like tilt sensor, perimeter alarm etc so if some g1t tries to tow your car its going to make lots of noise and also its fitted with a anti hijack device, a must in this day and age, it means you can get away without hassle and the car will stop a few hundred yards down the road, they wont be able to start it etc and it dont half make a noise with the horn attached

Tony
Old 17 October 2001, 10:50 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Reliablity wise....
only had one problem and that was the valet mode buttons, replaced under warranty its better than some and its also 3pt immobilisation, no doubt the competition didnt tell you that their 2 point systems were as good did they??

Tony
Old 19 October 2001, 03:16 PM
Max the Clifford dealer
Scooby Regular

Seeing as how the preferred method of car theft nowadays is with the keys, be they stolen from your house, or you are 'asked' for them one day by a guy in a ski mask with a stanley knife, this method of car theft bypasses any security you care to have installed. Unless that security incorporates the Clifford BlackJax system. If you don't want to go the whole hog, BlackJax is available as a 'stand alone' system and can be installed on any car regardless of what other security has been installed and should be around £199 fitted.
Old 16 December 2001, 11:29 AM
Madman
Scooby Regular

Sorry to highjack this thread and so late on but what does the Clifford BlackJax system do?
Old 16 December 2001, 11:52 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Mad, BlackJax is an anti-carjacking devise, which only you know about. Without saying too much, whenever the car is started or a door opened or the car's electrical system is disturbed in some way, it will give you a signal. If you then fail to respond correctly, after a short time the car will stop and trigger the alarm.

The idea is that this gives the bar$tard$ enough time to have travelled a safe enough distance from you and enough time for you to call the police, before they are left stranded, alarm blaring, lights flashing etc.

I believe it's standard on the Clifford 600, and about £200 to be fitted to any other system. I will get one fitted just as soon as I can get to Max in Leeds. Never met him, but judging by the comments on here and a twenty minute phone call with him recently I'm reluctant to let anyone else touch my car's electrics.

Richard.
Old 16 December 2001, 11:56 AM
Madman
Scooby Regular

Ta
Old 17 December 2001, 12:48 AM
Sandman
Scooby Regular

Consider fitting a Barrier Deadlock also ...it aint goin no where unless they tow it.Better piece of mind.
Old 17 December 2001, 08:58 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

...unless they nick your keys.

Blackjack is wonderful